[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  Running the server
. . -> [Subject]  Core dumps after entering password

Core dumps after entering password

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Toy   (206 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 10 Jun 2002 01:07 AM (UTC)
Need some help here. I found a snippet for Banks, and I tried to install it. It didn't work right, so I took it out. Now, whenever I run the mud, right after you put in the character's password, a segment core dump occurs with these bug messages:

[*****] BUG: load_race_file: no match: ÿ
[*****] BUG: Fread_string_no_hash: EOF

Can someone please help me?
-Alexander

It's always good to know how far you are willing to go to be the best...

Karl Mancine
aka
Toy the Dark Puppet
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Mon 10 Jun 2002 01:55 AM (UTC)
Sounds like the snippet corrupted the race file. I would get a backup from somewhere.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Mon 10 Jun 2002 02:08 AM (UTC)
That isn't it. I just totally removed the race files and replaced them with the original stuff from the smaug download. Still got the same thing. Any other ideas?
-Alexander

Karl Mancine
aka
Toy the Dark Puppet
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Mon 10 Jun 2002 02:10 AM (UTC)
I just realized that worked Nick.. sorta. The bug messages are gone, but the segment core still dumps right after the password
-Alexander

Karl Mancine
aka
Toy the Dark Puppet
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Mon 10 Jun 2002 03:06 AM (UTC)
First, make sure you have a clean build. If you only recompiled the files that you replaced it is possible the object files are out of whack with each other. Try:

rm *.o
make

If that doesn't work, you will have to use gdb to find what is making it crash - or, make sure you put all the old files back.

A crash after a password generally indicates some part of the code is being used (stuff to do with the character) that isn't used until it finds a player. Things like races, classes, languages, spells etc.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Mon 10 Jun 2002 12:30 PM (UTC)
yeah... so I feel like a total jackass. :)

Thanks Nick. The clean make worked wonders. The problem was simple: change a sh_int to an int. I worked on the code for 5 hours last night, and that was the fix. Guess how big i felt? :p

Thanks for all your help,
-Alexander

Karl Mancine
aka
Toy the Dark Puppet
[Go to top] top

Posted by Typhon   USA  (112 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Mon 10 Jun 2002 09:39 PM (UTC)
ok, i seem to have the same problem, however the clean make solution didnt seem to work... i added the autoquest code by aurora to a highly modified mud, and i've cleaned it up and made it compile correctly, however when i go to load a player in it crashes, through process of elimination (bugging the piss out of fread_char using bug("somethign",0); ) to make sure it runs all the way through the load and it loads it fine, if i type the wrong pass it even says "incorrect password" and kicks me then it crashes the mud, i have no idea what it could be, a few of us ha ve been trying to debug it for a few days now with no luck :\ if anyone has idea or anything that i might try i would really appreciate it,
thanks
typ.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Mon 10 Jun 2002 09:50 PM (UTC)
I have a brief description of using gdb on such problems on this post: coinduct,induct,cooutcast,outcast problem

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

19,455 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]