[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Auto-logging to file on connect

Auto-logging to file on connect

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Captainbarlow   USA  (5 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 09 Mar 2017 03:46 AM (UTC)
Template:post=13421 Please see the forum thread: http://gammon.com.au/forum/?id=13421.
I'm having a bit of an issue getting auto-logging to work properly. As implied by mentioning the previous forum post, I read through it and attempted to use the advice there to solve my problem, but I'm simply not seeing it working at all.

Relevant specifics:

Windows 10 / MushClient v4.94

World settings relevant window: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vi2kpqvyc9bqb0h/logging%20window.PNG?dl=0

(This is identical for all 3 worlds I'm trying to auto-log from. Except that they all have very slight, <10 characters, differences in the preamble and log-to windows. The 3 "worlds" aren't, they're simple categories of output from a single MUSH, so the preamble and log-to each reflect the individual "world" they're logging.)

So the problem:

It doesn't seem to actually do anything. No files, text/html/anything show up in my logfile!

I'm not sure what's going on here. The possibility exists that this is a PEBCAK issue (I'm not a coder or a programmer by any means) but the window options seem simple and straightforward enough that I doubt that.

I've tried restarting MC, and checking both after restart and with MC completely not running. No change.

Please, I'd appreciate any help you can offer with this.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Thu 09 Mar 2017 05:22 AM (UTC)
I suggest you try a different directory. Windows 10 will tend to redirect away stuff you put into "Program Files" into some other place.

In fact you might want to install MUSHclient entirely elsewhere, such as "Documents".

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Thu 09 Mar 2017 06:17 AM (UTC)
I suspect that that worked. I now have text files present even while connected and (hopefully) logging. Thanks, Nick.

I'll reply to this thread again if I find it's still not working correctly, but I should know that by tomorrow.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Thu 09 Mar 2017 06:48 AM (UTC)
.. or not. I broke something in the transition to Documents (or in the transition to 5.05 which I took the opportunity to install.)

One of my plugins is now looking for a file in Program Files still, even though the entire MC installation is in Documents.

[WARNING] C:\Users\capta\Documents\MUSHclient\worlds\plugins\Background_Image.xml
Line   68: C:\Program Files (x86)\MUSHclient\worlds\plugins\constants.lua contains an invalid path. (Not loaded)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Thu 09 Mar 2017 08:18 PM (UTC)
You can probably open the file Background_Image.xml and delete line 68 which attempts to load in constants.lua.

Alternatively, put the correct path there.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #5 on Thu 09 Mar 2017 09:56 PM (UTC)
It seems pretty unlikely that the file is being referenced by a non-relative path, though. Is it possible that an old registry key is still affecting a load path?

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Thu 09 Mar 2017 11:51 PM (UTC)
Possibly, if the OP simply copied his installation folder, rather than re-installing.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Fri 10 Mar 2017 02:38 AM (UTC)
Turns out the file had a simple name there, and didn't bother with a directory path at all? Don't know why it didn't work, but I added in the directory and it's no longer warning me.

Now I just need it to work. :P But I won't bother you guys for a background image not showing up. And thanks again.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Fri 10 Mar 2017 02:58 AM (UTC)
Possibly another relative path (the image that is).

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

20,494 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]