[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  My wish list. :)

My wish list. :)

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Neva   USA  (117 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 20 Jan 2003 10:01 PM (UTC)
1. The ability to omit just part of a line from output. If you can just highlight part, using a regexp, then omitting also ought to be possible. This would be the big one for my list, and should be taken with a big helping of 'pleasepleasepleaseI'llloveyouforever'. I'm kinda trying to coax MUSHclient into being the uber-frontend for GS3, but unless I get this, there will *always* be control codes stuck in that I have to see even though I don't want to. Some of them, unfortuantely, end up embedded in text I otherwise do want to see.

2. A better interface for triggers/aliases/whatnot. Maybe make each group into a separate 'folder' or something. Once you get more than a few, it starts getting hard to deal with them.

3. I'd like the ability to change the color/font properties of Notepad windows, preferably on an individual basis. When I'm using them to catch chat output or something, I'd really rather have it using light-on-dark, not the dark-on-light that I use for text entry.

4. Possibly allow the infobar to actually be set to read *variables*, instead of just text, and update every time they change. It might (and I really don't know) be less clumsy to do that in the program code than to have a timer running every second to update it. Would make the infobar more useful for tracking changing numbers, like current health, whatever. I don't know, though.

And now, back to the miles of scripting that seem to be involved in this little project of mine. :)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Mon 20 Jan 2003 10:57 PM (UTC)

Amended on Mon 20 Jan 2003 10:59 PM (UTC) by Shadowfyr

> 2. A better interface for triggers/aliases/whatnot. Maybe
> make each group into a separate 'folder' or something. Once
> you get more than a few, it starts getting hard to deal
> with them.

Yes. I was noticing it myself. My suggestion would be to replace the existing structure with something like a treeview with triggers (as well as the alias list) being ordered like:

+Group a
||___Trigger 1 info
||___Trigger 2 info
-Group b
-Group c

It could be useful in some cases to also allow a Script subclass, but since not everyone uses a single script to pump data through from multiple triggers, it would likely be confusing for most people to have that.

> 4. Possibly allow the infobar to actually be set to read
> *variables*, instead of just text, and update every time
> they change. It might (and I really don't know) be less
> clumsy to do that in the program code than to have a
> timer running every second to update it. Would make the
> infobar more useful for tracking changing numbers, like
> current health, whatever. I don't know, though.

This is one advantage that ZMud has with its similar features. Auto-updating of some stuff would be nice, but with the current implimentation of the InfoBar it would be even less practical than it is now (especially when shared between worlds.) If you could set specific fields on the bar and have the contents of them returnable, then this wouldn't be an issue, but since different worlds can't share the same variables, you run into the situation of 'which' worlds variable updates it. Not a good thing...
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Mon 20 Jan 2003 11:01 PM (UTC)
This is one advantage that ZMud has with its similar features. Auto-updating of some stuff would be nice, but with the current implimentation of the InfoBar it would be even less practical than it is not (especially when shared between worlds.) If you could set specific fields on the bar and have the contents of them returnable, then this wouldn't be an issue, but since different worlds can't share the same variables, you run into the situation of 'which' worlds variable updates it. Not a good thing...

True. I don't use it between worlds, which does have a big effect on things.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Tue 21 Jan 2003 03:40 AM (UTC)

1. The ability to omit just part of a line from output. If you can just highlight part, using a regexp, then omitting also ought to be possible. This would be the big one for my list, and should be taken with a big helping of 'pleasepleasepleaseI'llloveyouforever'. I'm kinda trying to coax MUSHclient into being the uber-frontend for GS3, but unless I get this, there will *always* be control codes stuck in that I have to see even though I don't want to. Some of them, unfortuantely, end up embedded in text I otherwise do want to see.

It could be possible to implement some sort of "line preprocessing" to handle stripping out, or changing, certain stuff.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Tue 21 Jan 2003 04:00 AM (UTC)
Well, I just figure... if it's possible to turn a few characters yellow, shouldn't it also be possible to not display them?

As things stand, things can be somewhat frustrating because it seems like everything's geared at evaluating line-by-line... but sometimes what you want to affect is only part of a line. :)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Tue 21 Jan 2003 04:09 AM (UTC)
OK, I see where you are coming from. Presumably this would be a regular expression, where only part of a line is coloured. The trigger would then have a "omit matching text" option. Is that it?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Tue 21 Jan 2003 05:03 AM (UTC)
Easy stopgap to gag such things.... use the regexp setup to turn the offending text the same color as your background.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Tue 21 Jan 2003 10:22 AM (UTC)
Another stopgap is to omit the offending line from output, call a script, and let the script omit the offending bits, and then world.note the rest.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Tue 21 Jan 2003 01:23 PM (UTC)
World.note would change the color of the whole thing. Turning it black might be an option for the moment, since it generally happens at the end of a room description, but removing it entirely would obviously be preferable.

And yeah, the bit with 'omit matching text' and using a regexp is exactly what I want. :)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Simon   Sweden  (39 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #9 on Wed 22 Jan 2003 11:43 AM (UTC)
Set a trigger on the stuff you want like the original line looks like:

HP: 1/2 SP: 3/4 YEW: 5/6 POOP: 7/8

match on:
HP: */* SP: */* YEW: */* POOP: */*

send it to a script func

world.colornote "black", "gray", "HP: " & thewildcards(1) & "/"

etc you get it. just put back the stuff you like :)

but I agree with your suggestion, would make stuff easier

- "Where do you live, Simon?"
- "I live in the sick and wounded, doc."
Session 9
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

21,537 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]