[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  PennMUSH
. -> [Folder]  Compiling the server
. . -> [Subject]  Compiling PennMUSH 1.7.7p23 with VS.NET 2003

Compiling PennMUSH 1.7.7p23 with VS.NET 2003

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Hubb   (8 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Wed 29 Oct 2003 04:41 PM (UTC)
I am new to VS.NET. I am also interested in (soft)coding a few objects that will be implemented on an idea for a mush I have. Sort of a test enviroment. I downloaded the Pennmush 177p23_BSD.ZIP file from a website. Which had a win32 executable which runs fine. However, In the readme it said it had support for VS.NET, so I wanted to check it out. So I double clicked on the sln file, but it just gave me the error of "Can't find pennmush.vcproj" eventhough pennmush.vcproj is in the same directory as the pennmush.sln file. Furthermore it looks like my computer has no idea what a vcproj file is. Do I have to have Visual C++ as well to compile this myself?

I am doing something wrong?

Also, I'd like to ask as to the difficulty of patching Hspace to pennmush via VS.NET, or if its even possible without support from the developers of Hspace? I know of Cygwin, I was hoping to use VS.NET though since it is a development enviroment that I am becoming increasingly familiar with.
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Wed 29 Oct 2003 07:07 PM (UTC)
I know next to nothing about MUSHes, but here are a few tips:

- to open vcproj files, you need to have the VC++.NET component of VS.NET installed. This should be installed by default; I'd be surprised if VS.NET got installed without the C++ component in it, but, well, you never know.
- nothing prevents you from developing in VC++ and then compiling in Cygwin. It gives you the comfort of the GUI IDE, but then you compile in a Unix environment which can be nice for other reasons. You do need to set up your makefiles and stuff, though.
- check the paths in your .sln file. You can open it up with notepad. Try to see if it thinks the .vcproj file should be in a place other than the same directory.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Wed 29 Oct 2003 10:15 PM (UTC)

I believe my version is just the VS.NET standard. Not the professional edition that comes with (nearly) everything. So I will have to buy VC++ .net standard if thats the route I want to go(?).

I suppose I can just work with cygwin. Oh well, I was hoping I could get away with what I had.

Thanks again.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Wed 29 Oct 2003 10:23 PM (UTC)
Well, the VC++ component really is one of the core components, along with Visual Basic. I would be absolutely astounded, flabbergasted and mystified (how's that for emphasis :P) if MS didn't ship VC++ with VS.NET. I mean, what would be inside Visual Studio if not VB and C++?

One thing of note, it seems that VS.NET actually integrates VB, VC++, etc., all into the same environment (which actually kind of annoys me, personally, but hey, whatever), so try going to File | Open Solution, choosing "Files of all type", and then opening your project.

You should check your installation disks, maybe try to reinstall it and make sure VC++ is checked.

What does your PC do when you double-click on .cpp files? (Or even .c files.)

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Wed 29 Oct 2003 10:27 PM (UTC)
I am mystified as to what VS.NET is going to give you that you can't get from Cygwin (Cygwin being free after all) but maybe I am just showing my ignorance. ;)

You could always use the MS Visual Studio GUI to edit it and compile under Cygwin, but your post doesn't make it clear that you actually have the development environment.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Wed 29 Oct 2003 10:33 PM (UTC)
Compiler-wise I find nothing extra from VS, and even some bad sides, but I do very much like the popup function parameter lists, the class member lists, and all that other good stuff. :) GUI environments can be very friendly tools. :)

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Wed 29 Oct 2003 10:48 PM (UTC)
Hmm... Well, the copy I am working with is one provided to college students who take the client/server applications course. Its the VS.NET Standard 2003. When I goto install it just gives me the option of VS Standard and the SDK developement network (3 CD's of what seems to be absolutely nothing). Nothing about VC++. I'll try reinstalling the thing.

When I .cpp and .c files just open to a text document.

To Nick, I wouldn't know either. The only thing I was thinking about is that I've been learning VS.NET. I like it and was becoming familiar with it. I haven't even played with Cygwin to tell you what it can or can't do for me. :)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Wed 29 Oct 2003 10:52 PM (UTC)
When you click on File | New solution/project, what options do you have?

I'm having tons of trouble understanding what you could possibly be doing with VS.net alone, as its nothing but a collection of developer tools. What tools are you using?

I too have a copy of VS.NET given to college students, this time for a programming class. It claims to be: "Microsoft Development Environment 2003", with:
- VB.NET
- C#.NET
- C++.NET
- Visual J#.NET
- Crystal Reports for VS.NET
As well with some other stuff I can't recall at the moment.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Wed 29 Oct 2003 11:16 PM (UTC)
Typo... sorry for the confusion. I was saying vs.net... I have vb.net standard. When I goto open the program it says its visual studios, so I think thats where I was getting it from. What I have appears to just be VB.net standard. Cough Cough.

I don't think it matters anymore but when I goto file/new/project it gives me windows application, moblile web app, asp.net web app, asp.net web service, and console app.

I might pick up the full acedemic version though, instead of just vc++ if thats what I decide to do. I read its nearly the same as professional?

I have to give this cygwin 'thing' a chance though I suppose. :)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Wed 29 Oct 2003 11:28 PM (UTC)
Ooohhhh... well, that explains it. VB.net certainly just won't cut it for C++ apps. :)

Well, the version I have isn't actually the academic version... it seems that Microsoft gave Stanford a fully-featured not-for-retail,-for-students-only copy of the complete professional suite. And I think it's just great... :)

Although, I think that for any realistic, hobby-ish kind of programming, all you need is VB and VC++. Maybe their Java and C# stuff, but that's only if you want to get into that stuff.

Cygwin's definitely a good thing, and at this point seems to be your only choice anyways. :)

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Sat 01 Nov 2003 01:47 AM (UTC)
Ok, so I'm working with Cygwin. Yeah this is great fun. I got no clue what I'm doing. And most of the help I've found makes no sense whatsoever. Sorry, just a little frustrated right now.

Ok.. so I think I compiled it. I don't know. I got these netmush files. but I don't know what do with them.

On another note, how do I c&p from the cygwin file so I can send some compiling errors I've got for hspace to someone who can help with them.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Sat 01 Nov 2003 09:51 AM (UTC)
Don't know what netmush files are, so can't help you. Although those may well be the executable.

You should try right clicking on the text you've selected, or pressing control insert (to copy) and shift insert (to paste). Or, you may need to select it, and then click on the icon in the upper-left corner, which may have a "copy" option.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Sat 01 Nov 2003 08:02 PM (UTC)
Well, after about 12 straight hours of playing with it I got it to work and compile. :) Also after picking up 'Crimson Editor' from tucows I was able to edit things outside of cygwin.

What I really need is a list of cygwin commands that I can reference. I checked out the cygwin website... I didn't really see anything like that. Most of the documentation seemed to be geared towards people already familiar with linux/unix/cygwin. IMO, of course. I could have missed the "Cygwin for windows dummies" section though.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Sat 01 Nov 2003 10:35 PM (UTC)
I think that the general problem here is that Cygwin truly is meant for people who already know Unix, and just want to use it in a Windows environment, as opposed to people who like and want to use Windows, but for whatever reason need to have a Unix environment. The latter generally don't really know Unix or what it's about, but Cygwin assumes you know all that (otherwise you wouldn't/shouldn't be using it.)

Maybe you'd have better look looking for a Unix introduction in general. Cygwin doesn't have a lot of special Cygwiny stuff in it; it's mainly just a plain old Unix shell.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #14 on Sun 02 Nov 2003 09:19 PM (UTC)
A while ago I did a Windows help file which described a heap of Unix commands (weird, huh?). You can download this from:

ftp://ftp.gammon.com.au/unix/unixhelp.zip

Unzip it and inside should be a .hlp file which, when you double-click it, has a whole lot of beginner stuff about Unix. Well, almost beginner. Things like how to copy directory trees, mount floppy disks, untar archives and so on.

Also my web page:

http://www.gammon.com.au/smaug/howtocompile.htm

has some fundamentals about using Unix (like how to copy and rename files) as well as worked examples using Cygwin.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

29,421 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]