[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  Compiling the server
. . -> [Subject]  SWR Help!!

SWR Help!!

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by SWRLover   (3 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 02 Mar 2004 12:01 AM (UTC)

I recently got a SWR MUD up and im looking to modify it and a few other things, ive tried asking a couple of friends for help but they dont know anything.

I'm a total utter newb when it comes to linux or MUDs so if you guys could explain everything step by step thatd be a great help :)

firstly i am looking to remove the choice of force as a main ability, dont wan jedi's running all over the mud when its done.

secondly how to do you modify the MOTD file?

a friend got me into the file i needed to remove the force ability but as soon as i got there i didnt know what to do and he wouldn't help for some childish reason!

Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Cash   USA  (626 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Tue 02 Mar 2004 01:32 AM (UTC)

firstly i am looking to remove the choice of force as a main ability, dont wan jedi's running all over the mud when its done.

Well, I'm not sure why, but its your decision. One option might just be to remove force from the menu, and that is what I describe below. Other then that, there are two workarounds. One is actually deleting the stuff, and two is doing a work around. Let me know, the one below is how to change it so you don't see force.

Go through case CON_GET_NEW_RACE and change all the things from MAX_ABILITY to MAX_ABILITY-1.

*OR*

Go into mud.h and find the line #define MAX_ABILITY 8 and change it to #define MAX_ABILITY 7. This will show all of them except force since force is listed last. This is probably an easier and safer solution.

Quote:

secondly how to do you modify the MOTD file?

Type hedit MOTD. When you are done, his /s in the buffer to save it. Then type hset save to save the entire set of help files.

~Nick Cash
http://www.nick-cash.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Greven   Canada  (835 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Tue 02 Mar 2004 06:07 AM (UTC)
If you change MAX_ABILITY to 7 instead of 8, you will be removing the whole class. There are lots of places that MAX_ABILITY it called from, you do not want remove this. The option of MAX_ABILITY - 1 in comm.c is a better solution, but will cause problems is you want to add classes later after force. If you just want to remove it from the choice during character creation, there was a post asking how to do this not long ago for smaug. I've detailed how to do it there. Use the search function. Hope that helps.

Nobody ever expects the spanish inquisition!

darkwarriors.net:4848
http://darkwarriors.net
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Tue 02 Mar 2004 10:18 AM (UTC)
Hey! the reason i wanna remove force is because i wish to actually have a proper roleplaying star wars MUD, ie hardly any jedis, ships and stuff, im getting into the building, still ironing a few things out though :)

thanks for the suggestions, im deffinately gonna use that search function!

also question, when adding an exit to say a room for a ship what should i do? i see that the exit has to be defined to a vnum but how do i make that vnum a wildcard so that when the ship lands you simply walk out into the pad you've landed (not exar's office lol - the one time i specified the vnum i ended up in exars office).

thanks again for the help guys :)

oh and also thanks for tolerating a total newb like me, im a vet of windows (started computers back when i was 13 - im now 19 :D)

Once again thanks for all the help guys!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Tue 02 Mar 2004 04:45 PM (UTC)
For ships, you don't need an exit, just go to the ships entrance( use showship to find it ), and type exit. If it is in a proper room, then you can get out. Ships are totally enclosed, and uses special code to enter/leave a ship.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Tue 02 Mar 2004 08:19 PM (UTC)
hrm, im having some problems locating where the thread is that you mentioned greven.

I found what you were talking about with ships but i have more questions about that also, do you by any chance have msn, aim or yahoo messenger so i could talk to you there instead of cluttering up the forum? :)

thanks muchly.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Tue 02 Mar 2004 09:14 PM (UTC)
I don't know the class system in SMAUG as well as I do in SWR, but I beleive that it SHOULDN'T make a difference if it has no name, you just won't be able to see it, but I'm not quite sure. You can't compile the code? If you can compile, you can do something like this:
for ( iClass = 0; iClass < MAX_PC_CLASS; iClass++ )
{
if ( class_table[iClass]->who_name &&
class_table[iClass]->who_name[0] != '\0' &&
str_cmp(class_table[iClass]->who_name, "theif") &&
str_cmp(class_table[iClass]->who_name, "cleric"))
{
if ( iClass > 0 )
{
if ( strlen(buf)+strlen(class_table[iClass]->who_name) > 77 )
{
strcat( buf, "\n\r" );
write_to_buffer( d, buf, 0 );
buf[0] = '\0';
}
else
strcat( buf, " " );
}
}
strcat( buf, class_table[iClass]->who_name );
}

and a little further down:
if ( iClass == MAX_PC_CLASS
|| !class_table[iClass]->who_name
|| class_table[iClass]->who_name[0] == '\0'
|| !str_cmp(class_table[iClass]->who_name,"unused")
|| !str_cmp(class_table[iClass]->who_name,"theif")
|| !str_cmp(class_table[iClass]->who_name,"cleric"))
{
write_to_buffer( d, "That's not a class.\n\rWhat IS your class? ",0);
return;
}

That should let you exclude being able to pick certain classes based on the name of the class, but still have it available throughout your mud.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Enderandrew   USA  (37 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Wed 31 Mar 2004 08:09 AM (UTC)
I'm starting up a SWR based mud myself (thinking of using the SWR-FotE:FUSS codebase).

I haven't tinkered with it yet (I'm still reading my C book I just bought) However, I don't want Jedi's to be available to everyone off the bat either.

Is there an easy way to put some sort of flag on the class, so that you need an Immortal to flag you, or do a quest before that class is available?

Also, then would I need to modify the character creation scripts to not show that class initially without actually removing the class?

Thanks!

"Nihilism makes me smile."
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Wed 31 Mar 2004 08:16 AM (UTC)
Is there an easy way to put some sort of flag on the class, so that you need an Immortal to flag you, or do a quest before that class is available?
Quite simply: No. If your a new coder, this would not be a simple task to do.

The instructions provided above will tell you how to modify your nanny() in comm.c to prevent people from picking force as a class.

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

18,943 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]