[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  Running the server
. . -> [Subject]  Remote Access

Remote Access

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Awillan86   (6 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 02 Jul 2004 07:06 PM (UTC)
OK, I wasn't too sure where to post this, and in my mind this seemed the most appropriate. I have a SmaugFUSS mud running on one of the machines at my home. My friend lives across town and is working on the mud with me. At this time, I'm the only one who can do any sort of offline tasks on the mud. Does anyone know of a good remote access program or something similar to that, where he would be able to access the files on my computer? I'm running a win98 system and he's running winXP. Also, his computer has problems accessing FPT sites, so thats not really an option unless I figure out how to fix that.
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Sat 03 Jul 2004 07:26 PM (UTC)
Windows 98 does not have any safe remote access as far as I know. Windows XP has this "remote desktop" sort of thing, but I would not trust it.

If your friend can't access FTP sites he may have a firewall issue. Has he tried using passive mode (PASV) FTP?

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Sat 03 Jul 2004 09:40 PM (UTC)
The keyword in Ksilyan's reply is "safe" but depending on how worried you are about it, I am pretty certain that there are ways. ;)

For one thing, I recall years ago there was some sort of telnet offering for Windows, maybe on the developer CDs. A keyword to search for would be "telnet" and "telnetd", the latter being the daemon program that runs on the target machine to accept incoming commands. Of course, such a thing could be abused if not properly secured.

Try a site like TuCows and browse for things like that, or "remote control".

The other alternative is Linux or similar. You say it is running on "one of" your machines. Perhaps convert that one to Linux/OpenBSD/FreeBSD. Then you can readily access it remotely (preferably using SSH - secure shell).

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Sun 04 Jul 2004 12:33 AM (UTC)
Well, there is something called BackOffice or BackOrifice that accomplishes this but personally I would [i][b]strongly[/b][/i] recommand against using it.

What kind of offline tasks are you speaking of? Perhaps there are other solutions that aren't as risky as basically opening your computer to the world. :)

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Robert Powell   Australia  (367 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Wed 07 Jul 2004 11:53 AM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 07 Jul 2004 12:00 PM (UTC) by Robert Powell

Oh i did see somewhere a snippet that gives shell type access from within the game itself, it might have been on samsons site but dont quote me on that but i do remember it posed a few risks security wise.

You could use something like PC Anywhere, or mayby even Hotline, which is a sever and client setup that gives chat and ftp type capabilities on a port that you specify.

Just a guy having a bit of fun. Nothing more, nothing less, I do not need I WIN to feel validated.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Olivia_ton   (1 post)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Wed 07 Dec 2005 05:58 AM (UTC)
There are so many remote access products available readily in the market but when it comes to remote access, security is the most important aspect. So I would suggest RemotePC as they have high encryptions enforced.

http://www.remotepc.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Samson   USA  (683 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Wed 07 Dec 2005 11:40 AM (UTC)
or BackOrifice

I'd strongly suggest not using this one as well since it's a trojan :P

Not sure about BackOffice though as I never trusted Win98 enough to allow incoming connections of any kind under most conditions. Even for IM file transfers.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #7 on Wed 07 Dec 2005 07:20 PM (UTC)

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpost.php?bbsubject_id=6134

This discusses using ssh/sshd for remote access to a Windows PC.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

21,528 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]