[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  VBscript
. . -> [Subject]  EQ database scripting help

EQ database scripting help

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Forty   (11 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 05 Apr 2005 03:09 AM (UTC)

I'm completely new to scripting, however, I have programming experience and I'm not sure where to start. I'm currently learning JAVA, and have had VB experience, so I figured it'd be easier to go with VBScripting. What I want to do is create a script, or plugin, or whatever, that would allow me to:

1. Attempt to create a new object / check to see if it already exists within the database

2. Input item information in related fields (ex. wpn damage for weapons, weight, stat effects, HR/DR bonuses, etc...)

3. Save the object to the database

4. Search for items by name, lvl, wpn type, etc...

Any suggestions on where to start?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Tue 05 Apr 2005 03:42 AM (UTC)
On the plugins page there are two examples of using a database, the calendar plugin, and the mudDatabase plugin. The mud database is more like what you'd want, you'll have to change the database structure and such, but that shows how to interface with it (through javascript).
You'll still need to use SQL to access the database (this just uses the MDAC to interface between java/the db).

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Forty   (11 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Tue 05 Apr 2005 04:08 AM (UTC)
Whoa bro, you lost me already. Can you tell me what SQL and MDAC is? Really am very new to this, but at the same time, I have high hopes.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Tue 05 Apr 2005 04:51 AM (UTC)
Nevermind, the MudDatabase doesnt use MDAC, it uses JET. Both of which basically provide an interface to the database.

As for SQL, its 'Structured Query Language', basically how you create/modify tables and query things out of them.
There's lots of resources for SQL out there, but even then, the database plugin provides a lot of what you'll be using (almost all) within it.

I'm sure theres some crash course tutorial on basic SQL (and database design) out there.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

13,114 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]