[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  trouble with muds

trouble with muds

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Boko   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 18 Oct 2001 06:12 AM (UTC)
i was just wondering, i connect to the site tangent.dune.net and give it a name dbz saga and a port 7654. this works fine on my other computer but on this one i get the message

unable to connect to "dbz saga", code 10061 (connection refused)

can you help?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Thu 18 Oct 2001 06:48 AM (UTC)

Maybe the MUD is down right now, or you have miscopied the address or port number.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Thu 18 Oct 2001 06:51 AM (UTC)
I tried connecting using MudConnector (www.mudconnector.com) and got this message:

MUD Connector: Connection Checker 2.0
(starting up: Thu Oct 18 2:49:08 2001 )

Attempting Connection to 'tangent.dune.net 7654'... Failed
The Connection checker was not able to connect to 'tangent.dune.net 7654'. This could be caused by several factors:

The machine 'tangent.dune.net' is possibly down, or linkless at the moment
The mud server has crashed and has not rebooted (yet).
The network is unreachable

In case the server is just temporarily down you might try waiting 5 or 10 minutes and then checking the connection again

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Boko   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Thu 18 Oct 2001 09:22 PM (UTC)
the only thing i don't understand is how come it works perfectly on my other computer and on this one telnet worked until i downloaded this program, now telnet doesn't even work.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Thu 18 Oct 2001 10:37 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 18 Oct 2001 10:39 PM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

Because the MUD went down. That is why nothing works now. Wait a day and try again. Or do you mean it *still* works on the other computer?

The other possibility is that existing connections work but it is refusing new connections. Try disconnecting on the other computer and reconnecting.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Isollae   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Wed 19 Feb 2003 08:05 PM (UTC)
I've had the same problem all day..it worked fine this morn and i got off for a hour and haven't been able to get back on for like 5 hours..gives me the same error message.

Unable to connect to "Eternity's Trials",code =10061(Connection Refused)
I hope it is just apower outage or something easily fixed.
If its not could you please reply?

Isollae "Iso"
Eternity's Trials
[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Wed 19 Feb 2003 08:22 PM (UTC)
To get any further info beyond the disconnect mesage you'd need to contact the IMP and/or host of the MUD in question. You could try ping/tracert to confirm the host computer is actually on the internet. If you cant get a response from the host with those, odds are theres a hardware/software issue of somekind (Im including electrical failure as a hardware issue :P) that will need to be dealt with by someone with admin access to the box the MUD is on.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Thu 20 Feb 2003 01:53 AM (UTC)

Connection Refused, usually means mud is down,
if it times out, The muds lagging
and if It cant find a Route to Host, or something along those lines, The server is down.

Just so you know ;)

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #8 on Thu 20 Feb 2003 08:25 AM (UTC)

ping {IP address or name} - to see if the server is responding at all.

tracert {IP address or name} - Find the path to the server.
If the path is broken due to network problems then it will show a lot of lines like '* * * Timed out' and eventually will say 'No route to host'.

You run these commands from a DOS window or you can download something like SamSpade that supplies the same features, but in a windows applicate.

SamSpade can also sometimes be useful if the network problem is caused by the server that converts the registered server name to an IP number. While this is useless for sites or pages that use non-fixed IP addresses or redirect you to a page the way sites like KeenSpace does for its comics, most places use a fixed number to ID the site and programs will connect to that number, even if the name comes back as invalid. I had an issue of this sort a while back where the muds name refused to return an IP number for several days, but I got on by doing a search on SamSpade for the real IP and using the numbers instead.

No one should be playing with telnet or other low level communications and not know about these basic tools imho. ;)

Most of the time a problem is due to network based issues. On those few cases where the problem was not with the network, it was usually due to the instability that Winsock (which handles all internet connection stuff) often has and a simple reboot fixes it. Except for like tonight where the connection broke and my ISP's password server apparently rebooted and wouldn't let me back on for about 20 minutes. Sigh.. And I 'almost' had that blasted download finished...
[Go to top] top

Posted by Guest1   USA  (256 posts)
Date Reply #9 on Thu 20 Feb 2003 08:27 AM (UTC)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Isollae   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #10 on Thu 20 Feb 2003 07:34 PM (UTC)
I know it sounds silly but i was afraid i had been banned for some unknown reason..again thank you ..

Iso (Isollae)
Eternity's Trials
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

23,844 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]