[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Gammon Forum

See www.mushclient.com/spam for dealing with forum spam. Please read the MUSHclient FAQ!

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUDs
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Cygwin Extraction Errors
Home  |  Users  |  Search  |  FAQ
Username:
Register forum user name
Password:
Forgotten password?

Cygwin Extraction Errors

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by IAmSlime   USA  (26 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 02 Jan 2006 09:47 AM (UTC)
Hello. What I'm wondering is how to eliminate, if possible, some errors I received while extracting a file using Cygwin. I struggled with getting the file to work (I had to utilize File <Filename> to discover tar xvzf wouldn't work, and that I had to use tar xvjf). I've tinkered with the quite a bit for the last few weeks, and I can't seem to get the program to execute. I'm sure it's based mostly, if not entirely, on the contents of the file being *NIX and me running a Windows computer.. Anyways, I have a log of the output and I'm going to post it here;

AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/a
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/a: Cannot create symlink to `A': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/b
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/b: Cannot create symlink to `B': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/c
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/c: Cannot create symlink to `C': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/d
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/d: Cannot create symlink to `D': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/e
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/e: Cannot create symlink to `E': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/f
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/f: Cannot create symlink to `F': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/g
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/g: Cannot create symlink to `G': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/h
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/h: Cannot create symlink to `H': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/i
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/i: Cannot create symlink to `I': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/j
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/j: Cannot create symlink to `J': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/k
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/k: Cannot create symlink to `K': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/l
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/l: Cannot create symlink to `L': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/m
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/m: Cannot create symlink to `M': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/n
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/n: Cannot create symlink to `N': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/o
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/o: Cannot create symlink to `O': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/p
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/p: Cannot create symlink to `P': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/q
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/q: Cannot create symlink to `Q': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/r
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/r: Cannot create symlink to `R': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/s
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/s: Cannot create symlink to `S': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/t
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/t: Cannot create symlink to `T': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/u
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/u: Cannot create symlink to `U': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/v
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/v: Cannot create symlink to `V': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/w
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/w: Cannot create symlink to `W': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/x
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/x: Cannot create symlink to `X': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/y
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/y: Cannot create symlink to `Y': Permission denied
AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/z
tar: AwakeMUD-0.8.16B/lib/etc/pfiles/z: Cannot create symlink to `Z': Permission denied

(Periods indicate areas where the extraction worked fine and shouldn't need to be included on the forum.)

So, I did a little searching on Yahoo and discovered that SYMLINK means 'Symbolic Link' which is something like a shortcut or whatever.. Is it possible for me to 'fix' this so I have a good clean install of this server? I haven't managed, as of yet, to get this server to work anyways, but I'm figuring that this may be helpful in doing so.

The codebase I'm using came from www.awakenedworlds.net and the direct link to the download is http://www.awakenedworlds.net/AwakeMUD-0.8.16B.tar.bz2

Well, one way or the other I look forward to any information you guys can get for me, thanks.

"Life Sucks, Then You Die."
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Mon 02 Jan 2006 04:17 PM (UTC)
Have you tried changing the permissions on those directories?

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by IAmSlime   USA  (26 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Mon 02 Jan 2006 07:45 PM (UTC)

Amended on Mon 02 Jan 2006 08:45 PM (UTC) by IAmSlime

I'm not exactly sure how I would do that. The folders are coming out of the .tar file, so I don't have any way of editing them before they make it out of the file.

Of note; Windows XP SP1, Cygwin (Just Updated It Last Night), and Bloodshed Dev-C++.

The only option I seem to have, is that I toggled all of the alphabetical player folders from Read Only to not Read Only.

(Edit) Never mind, I seem to have somehow accidently fixed the problem, the extraction was clean and the compile was mostly clean. However, when launching the server there's several pages of errors with assigning specs to non-existant mobs/vehs/objs....)

"Life Sucks, Then You Die."
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Mon 02 Jan 2006 09:22 PM (UTC)
For future reference, you would use the chmod command in Cygwin to change permissions.

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

4,000 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at FutureQuest]