[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Tips and tricks
. . -> [Subject]  Call me Insane...

Call me Insane...

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by AeOperations   (3 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 26 Nov 2001 04:05 PM (UTC)
On several worlds I game on, there are OOC channels to play with, for example.

[Public] AeOps has connected.
[Public] Foo, Bar, Garply and Eric wave atta Opsmeister.

[Starbase100] AeOps asks, "Anybody gotta few mins and a refuling arm?"

What I'm looking to do is rip 'channel' messages, and drop them in multiple mini-notepads.

But, I'd like to be able to detach and float these around, resize them, so they can be scrolled through, copied, etc, without clogging the main output field.

ALSO handy for those of us who code and have returns filtering from differnet sources, all prepended with say, an @ symbol or somesuch.

I'm pretty sure it's possible (how many websites throw up java & vbscript & perlscript annoying popup windows that have say, stocktickers-like information?) ...
But no clue as to where to begin...

Yeah, it might be a fundamentally new way of wanting MUSHClient to behave, but... enh.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Mon 26 Nov 2001 09:30 PM (UTC)
You can do that easily enough with one simple trigger (or more than one if you want multiple windows).

Just make a trigger that matches on the appropriate style line, and then "append to notepad".

Here is an example:

Trigger: [Public] *
Send: %0
Enabled: checked
Omit from output: checked (optionally)
Send to: Notepad (append)
Label: Public_Channel

What this does is match on [Public] (or whatever you put there), and sends the whole matching line (%0) to the notepad, appending to what is already there. Thus you effectively have a floating window that you can resize.

If you want to have a different channel to go a different window, just make another similar trigger, changing "Public" to "Starbase100", for example.

If you want them all to go to the same window, omit the label, as the label controls the window name.

Finally, optionally check "omit from output" if you want the channel to appear in the floating window, but *not* the main window.

A word of warning - the notepad windows are not designed for thousands of lines of text, the program will eventually slow down if you run like that for hours. I suggest you occasionally highlight and delete old message from the top of such windows.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Tue 27 Nov 2001 08:48 PM (UTC)
Very close to what I was looking for. Is there a way to give the little notepad windows full propeties? i.e. save perhaps, ANSI colors temporarily, or more importantly, be able to check 'Always On Top' and or slide them outside the MUSHclient main window?

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Wed 28 Nov 2001 01:42 AM (UTC)
You can save the contents now, see the File menu.

As for "always on top" it seems to be a property of MDI child windows that they cannot be on top, so that would be a major change.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Wed 28 Nov 2001 04:28 AM (UTC)
By save things I meant, if a line is sent in ansi color on the M*, to keep all the pretty colors in the Notepad environ. But, that's probably asking a lot of the notepad applet. :)

I love enough of the product I'm going to pick it up as soon as I get my next two big bills taken care of.

I figure in the next whatnot changes and options will be added, and if not, I can learn the code more myself and make script and or vb goodies to toss in and make it more the way I wanted.

[I have this fiendish fascination with layering windows with 50% transparency that you can always see what you're writing, plus what's behind it, all the way to the desktop. As stated, I must be insane.]

-Russ
Phearless Leader
Anaheim Electronics LLC
ae-ops@dsl-only.net
[Go to top] top

Posted by Krenath   USA  (76 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Tue 01 Jan 2002 07:46 AM (UTC)
Is there any reason the notepad windows (or any of the world windows for that matter...) have to be MDI child windows? If not, they could be set Always On Top and moved all around the screen, not merely within the confines of the MUSHclient parent window.

If they do have to stay MDI child windows, is there a way to set child windows to be Always On Top with respect to sibling windows? (So I could type in the world window while a small notepad window stayed on top in a corner)

Send To Notepad is a wonderful feature, but if you're using MUSHclient in a fullscreen mode, you won't see the notepad, and if you make room for the notepad, you have to shrink the world window to do it.

- Krenath from
bDv TrekMUSH
ATS TrekMUSH
TNG TrekMUSE
TOS TrekMUSE
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Tue 01 Jan 2002 07:57 AM (UTC)
I tried setting the "always on top" bit for the MDI child windows (eg. the Activity window) however nothing happened.

It seems that to have that functionality I would have to go "back to basics" and work outside the way that MFC provides windows (unless I am mistaken). If you have some reference to a reasonably easy way of doing it then I will be happy to oblige.

One way you could try working with today is to write such a window yourself as a COM object, create it inside MUSHclient and "pipe" text to it from a trigger script.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

20,231 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]