[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  SMAUG coding
. . -> [Subject]  About SWR

About SWR

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by Uru   Canada  (67 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Wed 01 Mar 2006 (UTC)
Is the SWR "obviously" Star Wars or is it easily configurable to resemble a "shoot-em-up" style game? I haven't looked at it yet but thought I'd ask.

"What does not kill us makes us stronger."
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Wed 01 Mar 2006 12:34 AM (UTC)
I think that SWR is about as "obviously" Star Wars as SMAUG is "obviously" AD&D (in its roots, at least). That is, if you fix the areas and change a few keywords, class names, etc. you should be fine.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Wed 01 Mar 2006 01:00 AM (UTC)
Are there any generic MUD codes out there that are shoot-em-up? I've been pondering what a MUD would be like when done in this fashhion.
I'm wondering how someone would target another in an adjoining room.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Wed 01 Mar 2006 01:33 AM (UTC)
It depends on what you mean by shoot-em-up. There are lots of discussions on this forum for MUDs that have positional information. Try searching for grid, positional, coordinate. You'll find lots of information.

The summary is that it's very hard to represent positional information in a MUD. Since you only have characters to work with, and not all clients implement cursor movement (because of all the problems and weirdnesses it can create) you have the issue of presenting a great deal of information in very little space.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Cash   USA  (626 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Wed 01 Mar 2006 01:02 PM (UTC)
Its pretty easy to rip the Star Wars out of SWR.

~Nick Cash
http://www.nick-cash.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Wed 01 Mar 2006 02:28 PM (UTC)
Yes, I read Nicks posts on what it takes to build a MUD, etc. I guess what I mean is firing a missile weapon into another room. I had it work once before with a version of SMAUG (before FUSS). I was able to fire an arrow into another room and injure a MOB.
You say it's easy to strip Star Wars from SWR? Are there examples?

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Wed 01 Mar 2006 02:31 PM (UTC)
Doesn't SMAUG's normal ranged weapon code let you shoot projectiles into another room? Isn't that the whole idea after all? I think also that it already lets you specify a target, too.

I don't know if there are examples of removing Star Wars from SWR, but basically it would be a text search through all strings in the code/areas/skills/etc. that refer to something you don't want to refer to, e.g. "The Force", "Jedi", "Star Destroyer", ......

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Wed 01 Mar 2006 04:19 PM (UTC)
Ah, so a bit of searching is involved. This should be fun. Ok, I remember seeing Nick's examples on using vi for SMAUG, I'll use that.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #8 on Wed 01 Mar 2006 09:31 PM (UTC)
Doesn't SMAUG's normal ranged weapon code let you shoot projectiles into another room? Isn't that the whole idea after all? I think also that it already lets you specify a target, too.

Yes. It should be in do_fire, or any calls that function has.

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Cash   USA  (626 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #9 on Thu 02 Mar 2006 05:34 PM (UTC)
I'm not sure what you mean by "are there examples". Any time you find a reference just remove it or change it. There are a lot of help files that will need revision because of this, as well as most skills and many game mechanics. However, it is quite do-able and has been done by many people in the past.

~Nick Cash
http://www.nick-cash.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Specter   (10 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #10 on Fri 03 Mar 2006 05:21 PM (UTC)
I have a code base I coded to give you a good idea how a smaug "shoot'em up" style game plays. I could show you a little if you wanted just give me your AIM.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Sun 05 Mar 2006 03:17 PM (UTC)

Amended on Sun 05 Mar 2006 10:37 PM (UTC) by Uru

I could use some examples yes. How would I go about getting/viewing them?
My aim would be in the style of Doom/Quake/Unreal, etc. et. al.
style games. I know it sounds unrealistic, what with needing coordinants, but I have some ideas wherein a coder could somehow define how much "cover" each player has available in each Room. You would have your descriptions, ie., "there are a few crates here to use for cover", and then assign how much cover players get to help avoid being shot/damaged. MOB's would use a combination of "Intelligence", agressiveness, and comabt style to determine how hard they are to kill/hit.
Do I make any sense?
PS: Not just a shoot em up, I'd have other elements to the game as well.
[update] by my AIM, you mean something else, I assume?
Thanks.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Mon 06 Mar 2006 03:52 AM (UTC)
Heh I ment your AOL Instant Messagner screen name, but everything you described I allready have installed in a code base. Susprisingly it plays well...I incorporated...alot I dont think I'v seen anything like it. Like I said just shoot me your AIM name, and It'll give you some ideas.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Mon 06 Mar 2006 04:37 AM (UTC)
Why not share the code here, so that everybody in the community can benefit from it?

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #14 on Mon 06 Mar 2006 07:16 AM (UTC)
Heh, I do plan on releasing the codebase, and snippets. Thou the game is currently having areas being built, I figure I would release it once the game has a good start..crazy shit to release a codebase before you have enough areas to play well.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

46,012 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]