[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  Running the server
. . -> [Subject]  Windows XP / New Network / No MUD Access

Windows XP / New Network / No MUD Access

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Zune   (76 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 01 Apr 2006 02:06 PM (UTC)

This one's a real puzzle. Get ready.

I run smaugFUSS through Cygwin off of a Windows XP desktop. Everything normally works fine.

However, I've just purchased and networked a new laptop. I have a new wireless router as well. (These details may be unnecessary)

After the installation of the network, I can no longer access my MUD from my MUD client. It's as if the MUD (which is hosted on my own desktop) is invisible.

Any ideas? I can't just give up on trying to fix this: I need my MUD.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Sat 01 Apr 2006 04:04 PM (UTC)
You can no longer access your MUD? Is it hosted on your local computer? Or is it hosted on another computer?

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Gatewaysysop2   USA  (146 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Sat 01 Apr 2006 04:23 PM (UTC)
Going to take a stab in the dark here, but I think it could be a port forwarding type of issue. If it worked fine until you installed the router, that's very likely the issue. Most of them have pretty good documentation / intuitive set ups for this. I've also found a good deal of help using google searches and the like.

Hope that helps.

"The world of men is dreaming, it has gone mad in its sleep, and a snake is strangling it, but it can't wake up." -D.H. Lawrence
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Sat 01 Apr 2006 05:36 PM (UTC)
Zeno - it's hosted on my local computer. I'm thinking it might be a firewall issue, but I'm pretty much clueless.

Gatewaysysop - I'm still googling around. Thanks for the suggestion.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Sat 01 Apr 2006 05:37 PM (UTC)
I meant, is it hosted on the same computer you're trying to connect to from? If not, then make sure you're using the right IP. You can't use localhost.

Zeno McDohl,
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Sun 02 Apr 2006 05:32 AM (UTC)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Gatewaysysop2   USA  (146 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Sun 02 Apr 2006 04:05 PM (UTC)
Did anything ever come out of your investigating the port forwarding issue? Do you have that enabled and forwarding the right port to the right machine?

"The world of men is dreaming, it has gone mad in its sleep, and a snake is strangling it, but it can't wake up." -D.H. Lawrence
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Sun 02 Apr 2006 05:30 PM (UTC)
From the same computer? I find that odd. Make sure you're connecting to the right port. I've never seen a problem with ports on the same computer.

Zeno McDohl,
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Sun 02 Apr 2006 11:39 PM (UTC)

It was the new wireless router I bought. It has a hardware firewall which I had to reconfigure to allow port access. Pain in the ass getting there, but really simple in the end.

I have to access the MUD, as far as I can tell, using "localhost" as the address.

However, now I want to access the MUD from my laptop. In other words, I want external access from anybody who wants to connect to the MUD on my server.

Any ideas?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Sun 02 Apr 2006 11:41 PM (UTC)
You'll need to use the internal IP of the computer that it's hosted on. Type ipconfig in the command prompt to find out.

Zeno McDohl,
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Sat 08 Apr 2006 07:54 PM (UTC)
IPCONFIG helped me with my problem, Zeno. Much thanks. It did, however, present another. I now, using that IP, can access the MUD being hosted on my local network from elsewhere within the network (in this case, wirelessly from within range of my router). However, whenever I leave the range of my router and am on any other network (suhc as a cafe or a school network), that IP no longer works.

I believe it MAY be that the IP is a local IP, because it's something like 168.78.1.2 while the wireless laptop is ".1.3. When I'm on a different network, i get a different IP - 10.0.0.1, for example, at the current location.

So, it basically seems like these IPs are localized. I don't know networking well, so I'm not sure really what's going on.

At this point, my problem is accessing the server within my home network that hosts the MUD from OUTSIDE of the network. Any ideas?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #11 on Sun 09 Apr 2006 04:16 AM (UTC)
You need to configure the router to "port forward" your MUD port to the appropriate internal IP address.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Mon 17 Apr 2006 03:59 AM (UTC)
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

26,013 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]