[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  Addition to triggers, aliases, etc.

Addition to triggers, aliases, etc.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 18 Apr 2006 02:53 AM (UTC)
I have so many that its getting to be a pain to "find" one when I want to edit it. So, my suggestion would be something like a keyword filter field for them. As you type in keywords, the number of triggers, etc. actually shown decreases, to show only those with the word(s) or phrase that you are looking for. Maybe even a set of options to search in just the Match field, the Send to field, the Group field, or sequence number, or even of those several at once.

This would have saved me a lot of time trying to figure out what was causing some glitches recently, or just to find some obscure one I need to change, but haven't looked at since 2001, so don't remember what it actually is, or where to find it. lol
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Tue 18 Apr 2006 07:17 AM (UTC)
So Find, and Find Next, whilst they work, are tedious to use?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Wed 19 Apr 2006 12:56 AM (UTC)

However, this doesn't work for finding things that are a specific sequence, which are in a specific group, or let you search in the send fields. One recent problem I had involved finding all triggers that used "send" and "send to script" to prevent them from working that way any more. I.e. they where declared illegal, since they auto-sent commands. I just found out on monday that I completely missed one of them. Find, as it is now, wouldn't have helped. Same in some cases, like having 20-30 triggers in a group, but all scattered through a mess of different sequence numbers.

Yes, imho Find "is" tedious to use in some cases, even if I hadn't completely missed seeing it. lol Its really much better for documents than lists. List are often easier to handle by reducing the number of "visible" elements in the list, sort of like how a help file's "search" feature works. Your not after all usually trying to "find" an "single" instance of an object, but "searching" for all instances that contain the essential item(s). But that's just my view.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Wed 19 Apr 2006 06:43 AM (UTC)

Umm. Ok.. I am blind and very dumb...

I just assumed you had found problems with the existing Find command.

The problem with what you describe is making a filter that is powerful enough for what you want. Something like "search for all triggers that do 'send to script' or 'send'" can't be easily put into a "filter" box.

What you could do is make a small plugin that scans all triggers, and filters them according to whatever you want, and displays relevant information (eg. trigger name) about it.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Thu 20 Apr 2006 12:42 AM (UTC)
True. But that wouldn't be much of an improvement really. To do it justice would require getting of my lazy ass and figuring out how to use the ATL library Ambient setting function, so I could make a designer for Muschlient and create my own windows, then I could feed the existing list into a new one, with the right behaviour. Just listing everything that meets some filter "won't" help me find them in the editor. Just saying.

Anyway, I think it would be an interesting idea, something like the existing "Find" dialog, but with some check boxes, some obviously exclusionary to other settings, that let you pick what field(s) you filter. Its just an idea. And you where at least partly right, I did think a simple find was limited in functionality. ;)

It would be nice to do such a thing, but its not something that is as critical as my silly assumption that the Find wasn't even there. lol
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Sat 17 Jun 2006 04:10 AM (UTC)

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpost.php?bbsubject_id=6660

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

18,038 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]