[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Help with 'omit' and 'Note'

Help with 'omit' and 'Note'

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by Rakon   USA  (123 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 30 Jun 2006 09:31 PM (UTC)
Ok, so heres the issue, in a trigger I have to 'omit-from-output', I want to still have it do a 'world.Note'. But for some reason, the note won't show up. Is there anyway to have the trigger line gagged, WITH the note showing up, without resorting to coloring the line black??

Yes, I am a criminal.
My crime is that of curiosity.
My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Ked   Russia  (524 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Fri 30 Jun 2006 09:48 PM (UTC)
Put your Note in a script function and have the trigger call that.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Fri 30 Jun 2006 10:35 PM (UTC)
Ok then, so I have to have a different def: for every different note I want?

def sub(name,output,wildcards):
	color1 = str(wildcards[0])
	color2 = str(wildcards[1])
	message = str(wildcards[2])
	world.ColourTell(color1,color2,message)

Thats the script, but the wildcards would be found in the tirgger 'match' not the send, so..how could I do that for different triggers?

Yes, I am a criminal.
My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Fri 30 Jun 2006 10:49 PM (UTC)
I'm not sure I understand what you are doing here. Have your read this page about scripting?

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpost.php?bbsubject_id=6030

That shows how you access wildcards in a script.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Fri 30 Jun 2006 10:50 PM (UTC)
I even tried doing this trough an alias, that is have
"sub blah blah" call the function 'sub' but through the triggers send box.(with it sent to 'Execute' of course) If the 'omit' field is checked in the trigger box though, it still won't show the note.

Yes, I am a criminal.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Fri 30 Jun 2006 11:01 PM (UTC)
I am trying to create a def for a trigger that will:

Omit the trigger match from ouput, without resorting to colouring it black on black.

Replace the trigger match with whatever I want via the def:
'sub' and coloured.

IE
Trigger match: This is a test.
Trigger Box 'omit-from-output' checked
Trigger calls script 'sub'

On matching that trigger should not show up,
but be replaced with instead a colouredNote, that'll show whatever I want.

Essentally, I am trying to make a Mushclient equivilant Zmud
'#sub'

Yes, I am a criminal.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #6 on Sat 01 Jul 2006 12:35 AM (UTC)
You should be able to use ColourNote in your sub to output whatever you want. Even with omit from output on, the text the script outputs will appear. However for reasons which are explained elsewhere you must call a script in your script file, not use "send to script".

Your examples are Python aren't they? I'm not that familiar with Python, but will do an example in Lua. This is my trigger:

<triggers>
  <trigger
   enabled="y"
   match="&lt;*hp *m *mv *xp&gt;*"
   omit_from_output="y"
   script="fixupline"
   sequence="100"
  >
  </trigger>
</triggers>

This is matching my prompt line, with: omit_from_output="y"

Now the script fixupline is this:

function fixupline (name, line, wildcards, styles)

for k, v in ipairs (styles) do
    ColourTell (RGBColourToName (v.textcolour), 
                RGBColourToName (v.backcolour), 
                (string.gsub (v.text, "mv", "movement"))
                )
  end -- for loop
  Note ""
end -- fixupline

Lua trigger scripts get a fourth argument which is the style runs of the matching line. You can use those to retrieve the colours of the original line, if you want them.

This example changes "mv" to "movement", however preserving all existing colours. Also see this post:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpost.php?bbsubject_id=6609

That is an example of using a plugin and OnPluginPacketReceived to gag words from the input stream and omit it. You could do a similar thing to that to match on one word and replace it by another one.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Ked   Russia  (524 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Sat 01 Jul 2006 03:16 AM (UTC)

Amended on Sat 01 Jul 2006 03:31 AM (UTC) by Ked

To do what you want you'd need an alias to match on:

sub * * *

That would call a function like:

def sub(name, output, wildcs):
    world.ColourNote(wildcs[0], wildcs[1], wildcs[2])

So you have the right idea, the only thing you got wrong is trying to call that alias/function directly from a trigger. That simply won't work if your trigger omits from output. Instead, you'll have to make the trigger call an "intermediate" function, which will Execute your sub alias:

def myfunc(n,o,w):
    world.Execute("sub red black Some text.")

Only that won't work very well either, since you'd need to set up the colours and the sub text manually for each trigger. The ultimate solution would involve using ImportXML or AddTrigger(Ex) to automatically add both triggers and their functions. Without going into the details of actually adding the triggers (I don't do that much myself, so am shaky on details), it would look something like:

# ID's for function names
fnames = 0

def addSub(n,o,wildcs):
    """ First wildc is what to match, second - fore colour,
        third - back colour, fourth - text to display. """
    global fnames
    def callSub():
        world.Execute("sub %s %s %s" % (wildcs[1], wildcs[2], wildcs[3]))
    globals()["SubTrigger"+fnames]) = callSub
    world.AddTrigger(wildcs[0], omitFromOutput=True, script="SubTrigger"+fnames)
    fnames += 1

So basically, you use an alias to add a trigger that omits from output and calls a function with a dynamically generated name, which is added to the global space on the fly. You'd need to differentiate between regular expression and "plain" triggers (maybe "addsub" and "addsubre" aliases?). Another thing to consider would be a way to store the substitutes, which could be accomplished by storing the aliases' entire match text as a "splittable" list in a Mushclient var and Executing them all when the plugin is loaded. Something like:

subs = GetVariable("SubCalls")
if wildcs[10] not in subs.split("_$_"):
    SetVariable(subs+"_$_"+wildcs[10])

inside the addSub function, and:

def OnPluginOpen():
    subs = GetVariable("SubCalls").split("_$_")
    [world.Execute(sub) for sub in subs]
    return 1

Of course, GetVariable/SetVariable would require additional checks to make sure that the variable is not null.

Hope at least some of that makes sense :)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Tue 04 Jul 2006 04:26 PM (UTC)

Ked:

Lets say I have a dict setup with the color names,values are Mushclient color numbers. I have an alias 'sub blah <some text> that calls the script function 'sub'. Which in turn, takes wildcard[0],looks up the color name, such as 'red' and returns the color code for it. In the same function it then does a ColorNote(wildcards[0] Value,black,<some text>).
My question is, if i have omit-from-output checked, and call the alias 'sub' from a world.Execute in a trigger 'send' box,will it show the ColorNote??
If not, from your reply:
Quote:

So you have the right idea, the only thing you got wrong is trying to call that alias/function directly from a trigger. That simply won't work if your trigger omits from output. Instead, you'll have to make the trigger call an "intermediate" function, which will Execute your sub alias:

I would need a function that does what the my alias 'sub' does. And instead, use that function in the alias script call box??

Yes, I am a criminal.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Tue 04 Jul 2006 09:48 PM (UTC)
The technique used by MUSHclient to handle triggers etc. is described here:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpost.php?bbsubject_id=6554

In that post it describes how "omit from output" omits from the start of the line received, to the end of the output buffer. Any scripted (send-to-script) additions to the output are thus also omitted, whether directly or indirectly via world.Execute.

To avoid that you must actually call a script function in your script file (put its name in the script box), as execution of those is deferred until after the omitting is done.

An alternative would be to use DoAfterSpecial, to do a ColourNote after a brief delay (eg. 0.1 second). This effectively separates the trigger processing from the displaying, and thus the display will now appear correctly.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Mpa   (9 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #10 on Wed 23 Aug 2006 04:37 PM (UTC)
Hmm, I am rather bummed after I found out about this. Anyone has a suggestion on how to manage a huge number of text replacement ?

Like many of you, I use achaea and I have realized that what those ZMUD users have done is actually pretty nifty. I would also like to replace the actual messages from Achaea with a concise world.note messages. But since I cant put it directly in trigger and have to use main script file instead, I will face a severe management problem.

This is an example of what I'd like to do :

Original Output:
Someone stares at you, giving you the evil eye.
You feel a tightening sensation grow in your lungs.
Someone stares at you, giving you the evil eye.
You gasp as your fine-tuned reflexes disappear into a haze of confusion.
4269h, 2318m cexkdb-
You eat a piece of kelp.
Thank Maya, the Great Mother! Your clumsiness has been cured.

changed to :

Someone EVILEYES you.
Afflict : ASTHMA
Someone EVILEYES you.
Afflict : CONFUSION
4269h, 2318m cexkdb-
EAT HERB : Kelp
ASTHMA CURED

Much less spammy and gives you an instant overview of what is happening (especially if coloring is used).
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Wed 23 Aug 2006 09:32 PM (UTC)
Actually, it is easily done. Let me check what you want to achieve? I presume you wanted to make a whole lot of triggers like this...

Match: Someone stares at you, giving you the evil eye.
Omit from output: yes
Send: ColourNote ("white", "red", "Someone EVILEYES you.")
Send to script: yes

And so on. Your problem is, that the output does not appear, yes?

All you need to do is make a generic "stub" script (that goes in your script file), that simply defers the output slightly, then it appears. This is how I have done it and it works fine:

deferred_notes = {}  -- table of things to be shown

-- show a deferred note - called from a trigger
function DeferNote (name, line, wildcards)

local k, v

for k, v in ipairs (deferred_notes) do
    ColourNote (unpack (v))
  end -- for looop

deferred_notes = {}  -- done with table

end -- function DeferNote 

-- add a deferred note to the table
function cn (...)
  table.insert (deferred_notes, arg)
end -- function cn

This is in Lua, the recommended script language, however the same idea could be done in other languages.

What this does is maintain a table (array) of outstanding things to be sent to the output window (deferred_notes).

Instead of doing a ColourNote in the trigger you do "cn" instead (short for ColourNote, but less typing). This simply takes the arguments and puts whatever you planned to note into the table.

Then the trigger calls the script DeferNote which walks through the table, outputting each one using ColourNote, and then empties the table ready for next time.

Now your trigger looks like this:

Match: Someone stares at you, giving you the evil eye.
Omit from output: yes
Send: cn ("white", "red", "Someone EVILEYES you.")
Send to script: yes
Script: DeferNote

You can do multiple 'cn' calls from a trigger, as they just get appended to the table. The same line can match on multiple triggers and that will work OK too.

My exact triggers were:

<triggers>
  <trigger
   enabled="y"
   match="Someone stares at you, giving you the evil eye."
   omit_from_output="y"
   script="DeferNote"
   send_to="12"
   sequence="100"
  >
  <send>cn ("white", "red", "Someone EVILEYES you.")
</send>
  </trigger>
  <trigger
   enabled="y"
   match="You feel a tightening sensation grow in your lungs."
   omit_from_output="y"
   script="DeferNote"
   send_to="12"
   sequence="100"
  >
  <send>cn ("black", "white", "Afflict : ", "white", "red", "ASTHMA")
</send>
  </trigger>
  <trigger
   enabled="y"
   match="You gasp as your fine-tuned reflexes disappear into a haze of confusion."
   omit_from_output="y"
   script="DeferNote"
   send_to="12"
   sequence="100"
  >
  <send>cn ("black", "white", "Afflict : ", "white", "red", "CONFUSION")
</send>
  </trigger>
</triggers>

Once you have put the stub routines into the script file you can forget about them, and just do your line replacement inside the triggers themselves. That is easy enough to manage.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Mpa   (9 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #12 on Thu 24 Aug 2006 06:49 AM (UTC)
I had assumed all Note messages wont be displayed if "omit from output" box is checked. Thanks a lot for the examples Nick. I knew registering would be worth it :-)

I managed to get it working but there are still some problems though :

One thing I have noticed when I can only use one color scheme per line if I use ColourNote from python.Looking at http://www.gammon.com.au/scripts/function.php?name=ColourNote, it seems only Lua can use multiple colour scheme per line.
Is it simply a case of not yet documented feature ? If yes, how I can use multiple colours in python ?

But all in all, this is awesome !
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Thu 24 Aug 2006 07:25 AM (UTC)
Use ColourTell, and then eventually finish the line by doing a Note of an empty string, or make the last thing on the line do a ColourNote, and not a ColourTell.

http://www.gammon.com.au/scripts/function.php?name=ColourTell

If you are using Python you will need to modify my examples a bit, but the general idea is there. You could set up a series of things you want said, and the Python script could do all but the last with ColourTell, and the last with ColourNote.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Onoitsu2   USA  (248 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #14 on Thu 24 Aug 2006 12:53 PM (UTC)
Also Rakon, if you wish to make a trigger that triggers on the ColourNote(Tell, whichever Used) you will need to use the Simulate() function, and have a trigger which omits that, I have used this method in my latest version of my Group Monitor to "reformat" the display, dynamically color the line's values (HP based on %, MN based on %, tnl < 100, Alignment is a word + Good = Gold, Neutral = Gainsboro, and Evil = OrangeRed)

I Simulate the line, exactly as shown via ColourNote, and omit it from output, and as a backup omit i used colour codes within it, standard ANSI returns did not work, so I had to discover the escape sequence myself (converted 1B to decimal, chose 1B as that is what the debug simulate uses) so that it would be black text, so if it just so happened to fool the trigger somehow it would not be noticed.

Simulate("\27[30m"..table.concat({name,hp,mn,tnl,alignw}).."\27[0m\n")

As you can see I use LUA in my plugins, but am still on VB within my world file.

If you wish I can create a plugin which will do all the legwork for you, I just need ALL the messages you wish to alter, and All the messages they need be altered to. And the colours you wish them to be colored in.

The plugin will be in LUA of course, as Nick has stated it is now the primary language, and imho the best of them all as is usable by Linux users as well (my original reason for converting my plugins from VB to LUA)

Let me know if you want that,
Onoitsu2 (Venificius on Aardwolf)
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

55,321 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]