[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Tips and tricks
. . -> [Subject]  Total Newbie here

Total Newbie here

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Essah   (3 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 20 Jul 2007 12:42 AM (UTC)
I love the mush client and just have downloaded the 4.2 version. With me recently noticing allot of port scans. I became paranoid and was wondering if mush and all mud clients can be used as an easy access around my firewall into my computer?

I glanced at the sum check section and that will verify If I download mush and mush alone right? That too is what step by step does a non programmer do. Remember I just glanced at the forum section tips and tricks. So if it is deeper in please forgive me.

I hope I am being paranoid for nothing, but that is why I came here to get it from the horse's mouth and/or people that know programming.

[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Fri 20 Jul 2007 12:56 AM (UTC)
Typically a MUD client will not be a way to get into your computer, because you are making connections out, and people aren't connecting to you. Of course, if the client has some particularly horrible, atrocious bug (or a bad plugin that you installed), it might be possible to get in by sending a special sequence of characters, but the probability of that is pretty much as close to zero as you can get (unless of course you installed a bad plugin).

The checksum is indeed how you would check that you downloaded the right thing, although I wouldn't know how to verify it on Windows (on Linux it's fairly easy).

But that isn't meant as a security feature: it's meant to make sure you got the data correctly from a source you trust.

If I am able to interfere with your connection and have you download something you didn't ask for, then I can also interfere with your connection to give you the wrong checksum.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Fri 20 Jul 2007 01:35 AM (UTC)
The downloads page mentions where you can get the sumcheck program - or you can write a small plugin to do it.

The sumcheck is intended to be used to make sure you have got a good copy if you download it from this site, or some other site. If from another site, there is a possibility they have injected a trojan or virus - the sumcheck should confirm that hasn't happened.

I agree with David that, as a MUD client generally makes outwards connections (unless you have set up as a chat server) , you are perfectly safe. You can crank the firewall up to high, and there should be no problems.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Fri 20 Jul 2007 01:47 AM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 20 Jul 2007 01:59 AM (UTC) by Essah

Thank you both for the reassurances. I will also download the checksum program , though I doubt that it will say anything but I got the correct versions. Again thanks. Never looked at forums in the past just downloaded it and used it. You guys got some pretty interesting things here. Thanks again for the info and mush client.

So I Start here and download the programming language.

http://www.lua.org/

Then cut and past the first check sum script.

I think thats the way to go. But I don't want to do what I did last time get a virus and malware from downloading everything I could find to prevent viruses and malware.

Laugh I did it.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Fri 20 Jul 2007 03:11 AM (UTC)
Lua is supplied with MUSHclient - you don't need to go to their site.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Fri 20 Jul 2007 03:16 AM (UTC)
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

11,484 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]