[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  Mushclient error on install (v4.02)

Mushclient error on install (v4.02)

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Indradragon   (7 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 24 Jul 2007 09:20 AM (UTC)
I recently downloaded v4.02 (several times to make sure I had a good copy). When I go to install, when it gets to the portion that unpacks everything into the world directories, it errors out with the following message:

Error opening file for writing:
".\worlds\plugins\constants.vbs"
It then asks if I want to abort, retry or ignore. If I ignore, it does it for every subsequent file thereafter.

I have a screen capture here:

http://omglolbah.net/uploads/musherror.JPG

Indra of Lensmoor
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #1 on Tue 24 Jul 2007 10:31 AM (UTC)
ok. I have fixed the error. It seems that the installer does not like previous registry entries. I had to manually delete them. It might be a good idea to have the installer overwrite previous registry keys
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Tue 24 Jul 2007 11:13 AM (UTC)
It tries to save your files into the location you previously specified. If you have deleted that location it has problems.

I suggest if you are going to do that, to uninstall and then reinstall.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shaun Biggs   USA  (644 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Tue 24 Jul 2007 03:54 PM (UTC)
Everything I've ever seen Nick write about how to upgrade MUSHclient involves uninstalling it, and then reinstalling it.

It is much easier to fight for one's ideals than to live up to them.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Worstje   Netherlands  (899 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Tue 24 Jul 2007 04:15 PM (UTC)
I've never had issues installing over old installations in the same (default) installation directory. I've tried that tactic ever since 3.60 somewhere.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shaun Biggs   USA  (644 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Tue 24 Jul 2007 04:40 PM (UTC)
I've frequently just overinstalled on my system as well with no adverse effects. It's just not the recommended way to do upgrades to MUSHclient, so there is no fault with the installer on the chance that something does go wrong. If a program's instructions say "Don't do this" and then you go and do it, there really isn't any guarantee that it will work as you had intended.

It is much easier to fight for one's ideals than to live up to them.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #6 on Tue 24 Jul 2007 09:23 PM (UTC)
I don't think I say that you *must* uninstall before reinstalling. Like most software, you can safely upgrade into the same location as before.

I recommend making backups of important things (like your scripts and world file), just in case. Also, if you have edited the example script files to make them your "real" script files, they will be overwritten during the install (by the latest examples).

What the MUSHclient installer does is use the Registry to helpfully try to put your upgrade into the same directory as your earlier installation. It also tries to recreate any missing directories (eg. if "C:\Program Files\MUSHclient" does not exist, it creates it).

However I think what happens is that if you have moved your plugins directory around (eg. "D:\Plugins"), and then deleted that directory, the installer does not notice that the directory has disappeared and you get the error message about not being able to create the constants files.

Two techniques should allow a trouble-free install:

• Uninstall first, which removes the entries from the Registry, so that effectively it becomes a "clean install".

- or -

• Always install into the same place. It probably helps to use Global Preferences to make things like the Plugins directory an absolute path (eg. "C:\Program Files\MUSHclient\Worlds\Plugins" rather than a relative path).

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Wed 25 Jul 2007 12:19 PM (UTC)
I understand uninstalling an reinstalling. This wasn't upgrading an old copy though. This was a 'fresh' install.
Mushclient had never been on this system, as it is a new computer.

When I attempted to install it for the first time, it errored out. It wasn't even in the program list to uninstall. I just happened to look through my registry and saw files there. I deleted the ones that were there. It
still errored out. I had to delete the files in the registry, reboot, and then it worked. I am not sure why this happened.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

18,323 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]