[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  The "two triggers on the same line" problem

The "two triggers on the same line" problem

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Cadari   (25 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Wed 22 Aug 2007 10:34 PM (UTC)
Hello all. Stumbled upon a small (I hope) problem. Here is it. Imagine you have a line:

First thing. Second thing.

The trigger firing on Second thing is not enabled all the time and must be turned on only if the First thing precedes it. So, after we've got the First thing, the second trigger enables, does his work and turns itself off, so it won't fire without getting the First thing first. That's the code:

<triggers>
  <trigger
   enabled="y"
   keep_evaluating="y"
   match="First thing"
   regexp="y"
   send_to="12"
   sequence="100"
  >
  <send>
    world.EnableTriggerGroup('second', True)
    world.Note('1st trigger fired, 2nd trigger on')
  </send>
  </trigger>

<trigger
   group="BASHER"
   match="Second thing"
   regexp="y"
   send_to="12"
   sequence="100"
  >
  <send>
    world.EnableTriggerGroup('second', False)
    world.Note('2nd trigger fired and turned off.')
  </send>
  </trigger>
</triggers>

Everything's working just fine:

You say, "First thing. Second thing."
1st trigger fired, 2nd trigger on
2nd trigger fired and turned off.
You say, "Second thing."

But as I need to do some complex work inside these triggers, I would prefer having the triggers call functions from the script file. The code changes to:

<triggers>
  <trigger
   enabled="y"
   keep_evaluating="y"
   match="First thing"
   name="first"
   regexp="y"
   script="first"
   sequence="100"
  >
  </trigger>

<trigger
   group="second"
   match="Second thing"
   name="second"
   regexp="y"
   script="second"
   sequence="100"
  >
  </trigger>
</triggers>

With the corresponding functions looking exactly like above:

def first(name, line, wildcards):
    world.EnableTriggerGroup('second', True)
    world.Note('1st trigger fired, 2nd trigger on')

def second(name, line, wildcards):
    world.EnableTriggerGroup('second', False)
    world.Note('2nd trigger fired and turned off.')

Unfortunately, this breaks everything. Now it works like:

You say, "First thing. Second thing."
1st trigger fired, 2nd trigger on

As you can see, the second trigger fails to fire.

Sorry for such a long depiction of a problem, thought it might help to include everything. Would be grateful for any thoughts.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shaun Biggs   USA  (644 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Wed 22 Aug 2007 11:06 PM (UTC)
Both triggers listed fire on the same sequence. Try setting the second one to sequence=101. The lower the sequence value, the earlier the trigger is tested.

It is much easier to fight for one's ideals than to live up to them.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Wed 22 Aug 2007 11:10 PM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 22 Aug 2007 11:11 PM (UTC) by Cadari

Tried already. Doesn't help. What makes me wonder is how it's working when the code is put in the trigger window and sent to Script and refuses to work in the case of using script file routines.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Thu 23 Aug 2007 12:14 AM (UTC)
When a script is called from a trigger it is processed immediately. Perhaps when sent to script, all triggers are matched, and then the scripts are run. I'm not terribly familiar with the source though, but it's an educated (at about a second grade level) guess.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Isthiriel   (113 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Thu 23 Aug 2007 02:28 AM (UTC)
Is there any reason why you can't just have one trigger that fires on "First thing. Second thing."?

Or, rather than using EnableTrigger, have a global variable in the script file that the second function checks as to whether it should fire.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Thu 23 Aug 2007 03:58 AM (UTC)
When you call a function in the script file, the processing is deferred, but as far as I can see they should be run in the correct sequence.

However, if you are trying to match on the same line this technique won't work. All triggers are processed, and then scripts (in the script file) are called. Thus it is too late to enable the second trigger.

Why not put most of the processing in the script file (for "second thing") and just leave in place the stuff to enable the second trigger.

However the way you have done it, it won't do exactly what you described anyway.

Since you say you want to match on "second thing" only if "first thing" precedes it, in the same line, all you have done is make sure that if you have "first thing" somewhere on the line, it will match "second thing" somewhere on the line, not necessarily after it.

You probably want something like this:

match = "first thing.*second thing"

That will match "second thing", which is on the same line as "first thing", and after it.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Thu 23 Aug 2007 04:30 AM (UTC)
Well, here's an idea. It looks like you're using VBscript, and I'm not sure what the equivalent would be for that, but here's what I would do with Lua.

<trigger
 enabled="y"
 keep_evaluating="y"
 match="First thing"
 script="firstmatch"
 regexp="y"
 send_to="1"
 sequence="100"
>
</trigger>

function firstmatch( sTrig, sLine, wildcards )
  Note('1st trigger fired, trying second')
  local wc = {}
  local match = 0
  match, _, wc[1], wc[2], wc[3], wc[4] = string.find( sLine, "^Second thing$" )
  if match ~= nil then
    wc[0] = sLine
    secondmatch( sTrig, sLine, wc )
  end
end

function secondmatch( sTrig, sLine, wildcards )
  Note('2nd trigger fired and turned off.')
end

I'm pretty sure there's a better way to toss the regex match off of string.find into a table, but I have no idea what that would be. Something similar could be done with whatever vbscript has for regex matching.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Thu 23 Aug 2007 07:50 AM (UTC)
Is there any reason why you can't just have one trigger that fires on "First thing. Second thing."?

Yes, unfortunately, there is. One trigger is just not enough to do what I want.

Quote:
Why not put most of the processing in the script file (for "second thing") and just leave in place the stuff to enable the second trigger.

Because there's a lot of work in the first trigger as well. Actually, both routines are just huge :)

Quote:
Well, here's an idea. It looks like you're using VBscript, and I'm not sure what the equivalent would be for that, but here's what I would do with Lua.

That was Python, but it doesn't matter. Thanks for idea, I'll try this out.

My curiosity as to why it's working in one case and does not in another fulfilled :) Reading Isthiriel's post I just realized, that using a global variable would serve my purpose even better than what I was trying to do. Everything's working right now :) Thank you all for the input!
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

20,012 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]