[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Gammon Forum

See www.mushclient.com/spam for dealing with forum spam. Please read the MUSHclient FAQ!

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Up Arrow replacing my text
Home  |  Users  |  Search  |  FAQ
Username:
Register forum user name
Password:
Forgotten password?

Up Arrow replacing my text

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Shnar   (5 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 04 Oct 2007 06:33 AM (UTC)
Started using MUSHClient and a couple things in the editor are bugging me and I'm hoping there's an option to turn these "features" off:

1. Up Arrow replaces my text.
If you press the Up Arrow, it copies the last command used into the text box, and keeps a history of commands, so each up goes to previous command. I like this, however I have found it rather annoying if I start typing and the text is long enough to word-wrap. I see a typo in a line above the cursor, so I want to up-arrow to that line. But the previous command dialog appears, asking if I want my text replaced. This is more annoying then the convenience of having the previous commands, IMHO. Is there a way to turn this feature off?

And probably a better implementation is if the application would only either A) execute the up-arrow function if you were at the top of the edit box or B) know if you have changed the text in the edit box to no longer have up-arrow be this feature.

2. Ctrl+Backspace?
What is Ctrl+Backspace and how can I turn it off? In most Windows applications, Ctrl+Backspace deletes the current "word" that the cursor is on (i.e. deletes until the previous whitespace to be found). But in MUSHclient, it's inserting some kind of text, I can't figure out what, but I want to turn it off.

3. Ctrl+Home to top of edit box
I'm a little torn on this one, Ctrl+Home right now moves the result window back to the very top. Kind of nice, but there are times when I'm typing a long bit of text in the input window and realize I need to jump to the beginning of the text. I naturally click Ctrl+Home then remember that doesn't work that way, so I arrow up, and that doesn't work either :P. I like the feature of being able to jump the result window back to the top, I'm just thinking it should be mapped to different hotkeys.

But other then some text-box anomolies, I love the app :)

-shnar
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (21,648 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Thu 04 Oct 2007 06:49 AM (UTC)

Up Arrow replaces my text.

To disable this, go to Commands -> Keyboard Preferences and disable "Arrow Keys Traverse History".

Quote:

Ctrl+Backspace?

See the Edit menu. It inserts the last word from the previous command. For example, say you did:

kick kobold

And then you wanted to stab it, you could type:

stab <ctrl+backspace>

This is designed to save you typing. You could disable it by using the Accelerator script function.

Quote:

Ctrl+Home to top of edit box

Alt+Home returns the cursor to the top of the command window, as Ctrl+Home has the function you have noticed. You could remap that with an Accelerator script command.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (21,648 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Thu 04 Oct 2007 07:17 AM (UTC)
See http://mushclient.com/faq - point 39, for how to make a simple plugin that will implement all your key bindings.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shnar   (5 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Thu 04 Oct 2007 03:58 PM (UTC)
Thanks, turning off Traverse History is saving me a lot of pain, and Alt+Arrow makes more sense to me :)

I'll look into the other keyboard commands. They weren't as bugging me as the uparrow was though. Mainly, the only things bugging me were keystrokes that I'm used to in edit controls, everything else is great :)

-shnar
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

3,015 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at FutureQuest]