[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Miniwindows
. . -> [Subject]  Mapping

Mapping

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by LupusFatalis   (154 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sun 10 May 2009 06:49 AM (UTC)
I haven't yet gotten a chance to tinker with the mapper. I plan to test it out. Though I might have to code my own. I'm having trouble thinking up how to do the visual display. I see that there is one as an example of what you can do with miniwindows. Is that that able to be downloaded from somewhere? I'd like to build off of it if I can. Why reinvent the wheel.

Also, it is my understanding that the mapper is more for just remembering a path than creating an in-depth map. Am I incorrect in this assumption?

Mapping is a large project after all, so just trying to figure out where the best approach is. I can say that the specific area in the mud I plan on mapping does have directions that make sense. If you go north, south will always work to get out (at least in all places that it really matters, unique rooms may vary but there are few, and I want them marked on the mapper). There are 'levels' in the map. i.e. northwest might actually lead down a level and northwest. And you may or may not know that you went down. Which presents a problem. But the saving grace is that the map would probably fit neatly on a 3d grid system if you got the locations correct. (The level message is skill dependent, and there are too many factors in that to get a reliable message.) And the last difficulty I forsee. The area is huge and most rooms are not unique, so I will see a ton of instances of a room with the same name, desc, and exit directions.

If anything that can handle this has already been produced. I would much appreciate it. If not and someone has some insights or suggestions, that would also be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot folks. I really appreciate the help.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Mon 11 May 2009 11:55 PM (UTC)
An example that I did for Aardwolf is here:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=8816

That basically takes the mapper information as received and redirects it to a miniwindow.

Quote:

... it is my understanding that the mapper is more for just remembering a path than creating an in-depth map.

Yes, the mapping functionality basically is for remembering how to get from A to B.

I am not aware of a more sophisticated mapper. A while back we did some posts about calculating the shortest path from one point to another, but that required knowing where everything is.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Larkin   (278 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Wed 13 May 2009 02:49 PM (UTC)
Most of us who use MUSHclient to play IRE games use the MudBot/IMTS/LMTS (same app, different flavors) mapper module. I love the little miniwindow plugin for displaying my in-game map as an augmentation of my speedwalking map system, though.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Wed 13 May 2009 04:58 PM (UTC)
Oh, that sounds promising. Is it something I can basically have parse MUSHclient text to automatically map as I move around? How customizable is it? Where can I take a look at it? Thanks man.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Larkin   (278 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Wed 13 May 2009 07:26 PM (UTC)
It was originally developed for Imperian and it's been ported in various forms by a few individuals to other games. I'm working with a version I modified for Lusternia.

You can download the original code from http://imts.sf.net.

Basically, it's a proxy server, meaning that you configure it to connect to your game and then you connect to it. It has its own Lua scripting module, too, which you don't have to use. I only use the mapping module myself.

If you don't play IRE MUDs, though, this isn't for you unless you're really interested in porting it for a completely different kind of game.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Wed 13 May 2009 09:23 PM (UTC)
Hmm... To be completely honest, I don't know what an IRE mud is, so I have no idea if DartMud is such a mud. How would I be able to tell?
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Wed 13 May 2009 11:31 PM (UTC)
If it were, you would know. :-) IRE == Iron Realms Entertainment. It's a company that runs commercial MUDs.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

25,203 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]