[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Lua
. . -> [Subject]  The basics of MUSH

The basics of MUSH

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Jorake   (8 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 01 Jun 2009 02:26 PM (UTC)
Hi. I tried using mush about 2 years ago and i sorta gave up. But now the guy that got me into it the last time got me into it again:) So I'm really trying to put the effort into making it work for me. Alright.

So I know how to highlight. But i need a quicker way of doing it. I can drag the mouse across the name that i would like to highlight and rick click it, then select my color. I need a quicker way of doing this. I don't really understand how to make my triggers and alias's. So I'm limited on what i can do to mess around and figure it out. So what i don't understand about the alias, are the different boxes. The first box is labeled "alias" and then the "send" box is underneath. An example of what I'm trying to do is this:

The character I'm playing is a sky scout, and I want to use the "j" key to make the alias go off. and the command is
"aim %1;shoot auto". So I don't know how to make it work. I tried a few different things and nothing worked so far.

And pretty much its the same way for triggers. It would be awesome to learn how to make one for
"Trax flies" "bash Trax"

And I have a few more idea's that i would like to try out. But ill wait to get an answer back for this, before i start asking more extensive questions.

Thanks
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Mon 01 Jun 2009 09:37 PM (UTC)

Amended on Mon 01 Jun 2009 10:21 PM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

But i need a quicker way of doing it. I can drag the mouse across the name that i would like to highlight and rick click it, then select my color. I need a quicker way of doing this.

I am sorry, but I don't see how it can get much faster. The minimal amount you would need to do is:

• Choose the word to be highlighted
  • Tell the program to highlight it

What sort of quicker way did you have in mind?

If you have a whole list of words you already know, that you want to highlight, you can edit the trigger it generated and put in an "or" condition between each one (a vertical bar), like this:

<triggers>
  <trigger
   custom_colour="17"
   enabled="y"
   group="Highlighted Words"
   ignore_case="y"
   keep_evaluating="y"
   match="\b(Nick|John|Peter|Mary|Jane|Frederick)\b"
   regexp="y"
   repeat="y"
   sequence="90"
   other_text_colour="lightcoral"
  >
  </trigger>
</triggers>

See http://mushclient.com/pasting for how to copy that example back into the client.

Quote:

So what i don't understand about the alias, are the different boxes. The first box is labeled "alias" and then the "send" box is underneath.

Aliases are explained here:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=8084

The "alias" box is what matches (eg. "j" in your example) and the "send" box is what you want to send. But if you want to do something like "aim %1;shoot auto" then the alias needs to match on some variable word (eg. if you type "j nick") so it can "aim nick; shoot auto". Thus the alias part needs to have a wildcard, eg. "j *".

Quote:

It would be awesome to learn how to make one for "Trax flies" "bash Trax"

Triggers are explained here:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=8086

If you have trouble getting something to work please paste what you have tried (see http://mushclient.com/copying) so we can see what you have done.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fadedparadox   USA  (91 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Mon 08 Jun 2009 10:15 PM (UTC)
I use a variable for highlighting, so I can type WATCH <whatever> and have it highlight it. I can also separate several things to watch with a space, like WATCH RAT DOG MAN. Just be careful to only put once space between each word and not to end it with a space. It likes to freeze when it can match literally everything, which it would do. I could fix it but I've been too lazy, since it's never a problem for me. Type WATCH by itself to stop highlighting.

<aliases>
  <alias
   match="^watch$"
   enabled="y"
   echo_alias="y"
   group="highlight"
   regexp="y"
   send_to="12"
   ignore_case="y"
   sequence="100"
  >
  <send>EnableTrigger ("colours_watching", false)</send>
  </alias>
  <alias
   match="^watch\s+(.+)$"
   enabled="y"
   echo_alias="y"
   group="highlight"
   regexp="y"
   send_to="12"
   ignore_case="y"
   sequence="100"
  >
  <send>SetVariable ("watch", string.gsub ("%1", " ", "|"))
EnableTrigger ("colours_watching", true)</send>
  </alias>
</aliases>

<triggers>
  <trigger
   custom_colour="17"
   enabled="y"
   expand_variables="y"
   group="colours"
   ignore_case="y"
   keep_evaluating="y"
   match="(?:@!watch)"
   match_inverse="y"
   match_italic="y"
   name="colours_watching"
   regexp="y"
   repeat="y"
   sequence="104"
   other_text_colour="gold"
  >
  </trigger>
</triggers>
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

11,867 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]