[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Perlscript
. . -> [Subject]  Perlscript

Perlscript

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Kelvin   (12 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Wed 27 Feb 2002 02:54 PM (UTC)
Can perlscript do everything Jscript and Vbscript can?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Dubthach   (47 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Wed 27 Feb 2002 03:43 PM (UTC)

What exactly are you worried about not being able to use in Perlscript? For what I do, I use Perlscript exactly like I would use Perl. Perlscript differs from Perl because it is an ActiveX scripting host etc etc, but I don't think there are many functional differences between the two...especially between Perlscript and Win32 Perl from ActiveState. Perlscript, after all, is provided by ActiveState.

If your question was: "Is Perl as powerful as Jscript and VBScript?" The answer would be a resounding YES. Perl is extremely powerful, and has a huge userbase. Check out www.cpan.org for an idea of the amount of code available for use by the perl community.

If you have a more specific question, I'm sure someone can help you.

Dub.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Wed 27 Feb 2002 09:06 PM (UTC)
The example files supplied with MUSHclient show the Perlscript examples doing what the VBscript and Jscript ones do.

I am not an expert on Perl, however Perl is known to be very strong on string manipulation, which is what you want to do a lot in MUD scripts (eg. breaking up a line into bits, putting it together, searching, replacing, and so on).

As for the MUSHclient functions, like world.note, they are all available whatever language you use.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Thu 28 Feb 2002 09:26 AM (UTC)
When I download perl from activestate i clicked on he download file and the computer condouldn't read it, and What does it do anyways?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Thu 28 Feb 2002 08:58 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 28 Feb 2002 09:01 PM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

Sounds like you downloaded the file ActivePerl-5.6.1.631-MSWin32-x86.msi but don't have the Windows Installer 1.1+, which reads .msi files.

You can either download the Windows Installer 1.1+, install that, and then try installing Perlscript again.

Alternatively, their download page also had a .zip version of the file, which you can install just by unzipping it (and following any instructions).

If this (forum) message is old, the links above may become out-of-date, however the general principle will still apply. Go to the Active Perl Download page and follow their instructions.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Mon 04 Mar 2002 01:34 PM (UTC)
Will my perlsripts still work even if I don't have the download?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Mon 04 Mar 2002 08:27 PM (UTC)
Perlscript is implemented in a DLL - the one available from that site. If you don't have the DLL I doubt it will work, unless it is already there for some reason.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Wed 06 Mar 2002 01:19 PM (UTC)
So where do I write my script in activeperl or notepad?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Wed 06 Mar 2002 09:27 PM (UTC)
Sounds like you might be a bit of a beginner to scripting. It might help to browse a web site, or find a book at the local technical book shop, which introduces scripting. You will probably find that very helpful.

To answer your question, you would use a text editor (MUSHclient contains one built-in), or the Windows Notepad, or virtually any other editor that writes out text files, to write the "source" of your script (ie. the Perlscript words), and then when you tell MUSHclient to use that script it will execute it at the appropriate time, using the Perlscript DLL.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Thu 07 Mar 2002 02:00 AM (UTC)
So do I need to do anything after I install it or do I just run the scripts I have?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Thu 07 Mar 2002 08:49 PM (UTC)
I'm not sure what scripts you have. They would need to be designed to work with MUSHclient or they won't do much. For example, a trigger might call a script to do something special.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

27,523 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]