[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  ANSI Bleed

ANSI Bleed

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by Mercutio   USA  (18 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 17 Oct 2014 03:37 PM (UTC)
I can only assume this to be a Client issue, as other clients display the following correctly:

(MUSHclient 4.94)

http://i.imgur.com/tlkLOWC.png (How it shows on MC)
http://i.imgur.com/s8gr9fR.png (How it should look - using Potato)
http://pastebin.com/9NfVwPeV (Debug Packets)

The same has also been tested on TF - which shows the same as Potato.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Fri 17 Oct 2014 04:17 PM (UTC)
What exactly is the problem here? The only difference I can see in those pictures is that the client you said displays correctly uses a muted color palette. Color progression from 0 to 100 is otherwise identical as is the overall color selection. It is a client difference but it's 16 bit color (potato) vs 256 bit color (MC) rather than anything being handled incorrectly.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Fri 17 Oct 2014 04:22 PM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 17 Oct 2014 04:24 PM (UTC) by Mercutio

I should probably have pointed out the issue a bit better.

Spot the four lines of '2nd Class Exp' until 'Job Class 3 Exp'.

Note that 'non-highlight' bleeds into the pipe characters and HP-DP - until it hits the ansi definition for the colored bar.

It's not supposed to do that. The 'region' above it shows how it should look normally. It has nothing to do with the color progression.

The idea is that '2nd Class Exp' until 'Job Class 3 Exp' (that area, not the numbers! See the other screenshot for how it should look) - are being colored 'non-highlight', which is correct. But the numbers past them etc should not be getting colored.

(Also, both are using 256 color. Including Potato. I'm not sure why you think Potato is showing only 16 colors)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Fri 17 Oct 2014 04:36 PM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 17 Oct 2014 05:00 PM (UTC) by Meerclar

The region above is all highlight so if that's how it's supposed to be, the formatting in the muds code is off (which it is anyway, missing : at the end of class 1). Your paste bin has been removed so all we have to go by is your pictures and they're of very limited help with finding a color/highlight switch that might be missing or misinterpreted.

Bah, I picked up the leading ( with the pastebin link and didn't catch it on the address.

Ok, now that I've had a chance to look at the packet info, it looks like MC is the client that's actually properly processing the info being sent. If you look at the tags proceeding the lines for Wave Sword and Activity ratings, there's whitespace between the code tags and the start of the actual text. That's missing from the entire section you complained isn't being displayed correctly. If Nick followed the protocol specs with a strict enforcement (and he usually does) MC doesn't know where the tags end and the actual text begins so the tags are simply being discarded until it sees one it can process properly.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Fri 17 Oct 2014 05:48 PM (UTC)
I'll pass it along to PENNMUSH folk re: ansi codes. But I thought the 'm' was the closing tag, not a space.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Fri 17 Oct 2014 05:54 PM (UTC)
Honestly, it depends on how the standard was written. If the standard was a space between closing tags and text, that's how Nick wrote MC to read input and anything without that space is going to be discarded. The only functional difference I see in the incoming packet info between those display sections is the lack of separation between the closing tag and the beginning of the text and pretty much every other time something like this has come up, it's been that Nick writes his code for a strict protocol format where other clients are far looser in how they'll handle tags.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Fri 17 Oct 2014 06:21 PM (UTC)
So what you are saying is, you are just guessing at this. There is something to say about the Robustness Principle here, but that is besides the point.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Fri 17 Oct 2014 07:08 PM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 17 Oct 2014 07:09 PM (UTC) by Meerclar

Without the ability to see Nick's code, all I really can do is guess based on the packet info and historical info with similar issues between MC and other clients. I frankly don't the time to look up the ANSI standard and the codebase for the mud you're playing to attempt to track down the issue without the code for either client being available.

Nick could probably tell you at a glance if my guess is accurate but it's his code and I'd only be surprised if that wasn't the case.

*edit* I have got to replace this mouse, these double posts are driving me crazy

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #8 on Fri 17 Oct 2014 08:07 PM (UTC)

Without the ability to see Nick's code, all I really can do is guess ...

Yes but the code is available. For output window viewing see this file:

https://github.com/nickgammon/mushclient/blob/master/mushview.cpp

Code in general: https://github.com/nickgammon/mushclient

Having pointed that out, I'll take a look at what this is about.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #9 on Fri 17 Oct 2014 08:11 PM (UTC)

Congratulations on a comprehensive problem report. They aren't usually that good.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #10 on Fri 17 Oct 2014 08:16 PM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 17 Oct 2014 08:19 PM (UTC) by Fiendish

Meerclar, can you delete your double posts in the future please? :p

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Fri 17 Oct 2014 08:22 PM (UTC)
P.S. Not sure if this'll help any, but Mike points out line numbers.

<Hardcode> [({<>})] Mike says, "The pipes should definitely be highlighted. MUSHclient issue."
<Hardcode> [({<>})] Mike says, "Looking at your pastebin, line 93 has 'ansi highlight', then there's numbers, and going onto line 94, the pipes and 'HP', with no other ansi tag to turn off the highlight."
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Fri 17 Oct 2014 09:03 PM (UTC)

Ok, now that I've had a chance to look at the packet info, it looks like MC is the client that's actually properly processing the info being sent. If you look at the tags proceeding the lines for Wave Sword and Activity ratings, there's whitespace between the code tags and the start of the actual text.

I don't see any problem in that part.

Mercutio said:

The idea is that '2nd Class Exp' until 'Job Class 3 Exp' (that area, not the numbers! See the other screenshot for how it should look) - are being colored 'non-highlight', which is correct. But the numbers past them etc should not be getting colored.

Looking at that line:

(ESC)[1;37m(ESC)[48;5;24m   | (ESC)[0m(ESC)[37m(ESC)[48;5;24mJob Class 2 Exp:(ESC)[1m    200/1000    |  | 

So from the left we are expecting:

Bold / white / Background colour: Ansi256: (dark blue)
Then the vertical bar: |
Then: reset / Background colour: Ansi256: (dark blue) - so not bold basically
Then: Job Class 2 Exp
Then: bold
Then:     200/1000    |  | 

I see what you are talking about now. You are saying that " 200/1000 | | " should be bolded when it is not.

Now here's the issue. If you turn on "Show bold" in the output configuration then that text will indeed be shown in bold. So it is respecting the bold sequence, and obeying it. Now what MUSHclient does for ANSI characters (the usual "original" 8 colours) is that it also makes them brighter, in accordance with what lots of programs do (especially since old terminals couldn't change to a bold font).

However when I did the 256-ANSI colours I decided that if you wanted a brighter shade of a colour, you could just pick it (after all, there is a large colour range) and that brightening the base colour up was not necessary.

Now do you have a reference supporting the idea that 256-ANSI colours should be brighter when bolded, and if so, how much?

I have an extensive discussion about the 256 colour ANSI codes here: http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpost.php?id=7761

In particular on page 3 is this colour chart:

According to my calculations my background blue is the more correct one.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Fri 17 Oct 2014 09:07 PM (UTC)

P.S. Not sure if this'll help any, but Mike points out line numbers.

Could you ask Mike (whoever he is) why not just choose another, brighter, colour if that is what the intent is? Then you have clearly specified the colour, rather than hoping that bold+original colour is the target colour.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #14 on Fri 17 Oct 2014 09:10 PM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 17 Oct 2014 09:18 PM (UTC) by Mercutio

If I turn on Show Bold, it doesn't show up as Bold.

But basically what you are saying is, instead of using 'ansi(hw,...)' as a wrap around, I should be using a specific color like #ffffff?

That makes some sense.

(But other than the background color and the bars, isn't the rest all non-256?)
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

61,525 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]