[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Errors in the British English spellchecker

Errors in the British English spellchecker

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Linda   Sweden  (164 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 28 May 2002 11:58 AM (UTC)
I know this is a third-party product, but maybe you can check if they have an update to their BE dictionary? Turns out that it has a few mistakes in it here and there (compared to the AE dictionary as well as other BE spellcheckers).
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #1 on Tue 28 May 2002 03:23 PM (UTC)

The words in question happened to be at the beginning of a sentence, thus starting with a capital letter ... and I had it set to skipping words with capital letters to pass over names and such.

Pity it can't recognize when a capitalised word is at the beginning of a sentence.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,990 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Tue 28 May 2002 09:46 PM (UTC)
Probably can't be done automatically. For example:

Ther is a lot of rain today.

should be:

There is a lot of rain today.

However:

Thor saw a lot of rain today.

(where Thor is a person's name). I don't see how it can tell the difference between one and the other. Also, a person's name is quite likely to start a sentence, any sentence like:

<person> is at <location>
<person> is doing <something>
<person> - how are you today?
<person> needs help.

and so on.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Tue 28 May 2002 11:08 PM (UTC)
True, but what about an option to pass over only capitalized words that aren't at a start of a sentence?

That, at least, means almost all misspelled words will be caught, and it wont object to all names, only those at the beginning of a sentence.

It certainly wouldn't be perfect, but it'd be an improvement, I think.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,990 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Wed 29 May 2002 01:24 AM (UTC)
I see what you mean. I am making enquiries to see if I am entitled to an upgrade on the spell check engine, which may or may not solve that problem.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

14,047 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]