[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Tips and tricks
. . -> [Subject]  Question: Playing Multiple Sounds at Once

Question: Playing Multiple Sounds at Once

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Edoren   (31 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sun 09 Dec 2007 04:55 PM (UTC)
Alright, I've got a question. I know with the addition of the function: OnPluginPlaySound we now have the ability to try some kind of workaround to make mushclient/etc play more than one sound at once by using COM/etc. I just wanted to know, has anyone done this yet? Recently i've been planning on converting a soundpack over from MOS (Monkey Term Script) over to Mushclient, the only thing is that I really don't know where to go from here, should I use COM, is there something else I could use, and is there anything I can read on how to accomplish this?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Sun 09 Dec 2007 05:06 PM (UTC)

Amended on Sun 09 Dec 2007 05:13 PM (UTC) by Shadowfyr

If there is some sort of Lua sound library you can add in, then maybe you could use that, otherwise, you are probably stuck using a COM solution. The reason is simple. All of the interfaces made for sound cards tend to either work by telling it precisely "which" channel to use, or telling them, "use the next available", while failing to provide any sane functions, for direct use by the coders, like, "What is the next available?", "Are there any available at all?", and, more to the point, "Did the sound system finish playing the sound/music on channel X?". Obviously these "are" available some place in the guts of the drivers, or you couldn't tell the driver, "Use the next available." I have no idea if anyone, including MS and their DirectSound system, bothered to add anything since. Mushclient, however, currently operates on the horrible theory that, "Well, I am probably the only one running, so I will just use channel X, for everything, and who cares if I clobber my own sounds." So, until/unless someone fixes the code for that in Mushclient, so it employs a more usable system, some other solution is needed.

---

Oh, and as a bit of an edit. I just had the thought of, "Why the frack haven't they done anything about this on the card level." Yeah, we are still using compatibility for like Soundblaster 16 and some old stuff like that, but all of the original design in them where based on the presumption of an OS that only ran one application at a time, so there is no easy way to lock channels for use by specific applications, get a clear picture of what is in use on them, or any similar thing, which a multi-program, multi-sound, multi-tasking, and possibly even multi-desktop, system requires. Its really quite absurd now that I think of it, and even the stuff like DirectSound, etc., tended to presume that you where *only* running one game at a time, so wouldn't have any other background activity. Mind you, it seems to work anyway, most of the time, but seriously...
[Go to top] top

Posted by Edoren   (31 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Sun 09 Dec 2007 05:25 PM (UTC)
Alright since I haven't really used COM before, mind pointing me in the direction of some useful information or examples for me to check out?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,982 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Sun 09 Dec 2007 07:22 PM (UTC)
This might help, I personally haven't tried it, although it sounds like an interesting project:

http://gpwiki.org/index.php/VB:DX7_DirectSound

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shaun Biggs   USA  (644 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Mon 10 Dec 2007 09:19 PM (UTC)
Any chance for a native or a Lua solution to this? I would also like to run different sound files concurrently.

It is much easier to fight for one's ideals than to live up to them.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

18,558 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]