[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Wine
. . -> [Subject]  How to install MUSHclient under Ubuntu (Linux)

How to install MUSHclient under Ubuntu (Linux)

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Sat 22 Dec 2007 04:13 AM (UTC)

Amended on Sat 22 Dec 2007 05:00 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

This is how I got MUSHclient to work under Ubuntu (Linux) version 7.04. I used a stand-alone boot disk, so this is from a totally clean install.

First step was to download the MUSHclient installer from this web site and save to the desktop:

MUSHclient installer

Next I had to install Wine (you can skip this step if you have Wine installed already)

Installation instructions for Wine are at http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb. I followed those instructions by opening a Terminal window from the Ubuntu Applications menu:

Starting Terminal

I then typed (copied and pasted, actually) the following instructions from the Wine web site:

wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/feisty.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install wine

These instructions may be out of date after December 2007, I suggest you check the current install instructions at the winehq web site.

Now that we have Wine installed, we need to install MUSHclient. Since I had the installer on my desktop I typed:

cd Desktop

wine mushclient418.exe

This ran the standard installer, which created the usual files. Now to actually execute MUSHclient:

Starting MUSHclient

When it starts you get a couple of messages about the initial installation, and "can't start help". I used the Connection menu -> Quick Connect to connect to a MUD and saw this:

MUSHclient startup

The font looks a bit strange, so I edited the Output configuration and changed it:

Output font configuration

Ditto for the input font, and the font colour:

Input font configuration

After doing that the display looks quite respectable:

MUSHclient after fixes

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Mon 24 Dec 2007 12:29 AM (UTC)
The problem with the command window having a black background has been fixed in version 4.19.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Darwin   USA  (125 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Fri 28 Dec 2007 04:07 AM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 28 Dec 2007 04:11 AM (UTC) by Darwin

Installing WINE under Ubuntu is actually easier than that.

In the 'Applications' menu select 'Add/Remove...'
Select 'All' from the list.
Enter 'wine' into the search field.
Select 'All available applications' from the Show dropdown list.

See screenshot:
http://www.houseofghoulsmud.com/images/screenshot-install-wine.png
(Can't make an image in the post, but there's the link to it.)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Fri 28 Dec 2007 04:20 AM (UTC)
Installing Wine

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Mon 06 Apr 2015 09:51 PM (UTC)
Under Wine some help functions don't appear to work.

As an alternative, recent versions ship with the help information in a database. This can be accessed by installing the plugin: MUSHclient_Help (this ships with MUSHclient in the plugins directory).

Use the File menu -> Plugins to add this plugin.

Then all of the help topics can be accessed by typing "mchelp <topic>", eg.

mchelp trigger

Other examples:

mchelp getinfo

mchelp name:setvariable

The use of the "name:" prefix limits searches to the name of a topic (eg. a function name) rather than merely a reference to it in the description somewhere.

Matching topics will be shown in the output window with hyperlinks. Just click on one of them to have that topic expanded.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

39,984 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]