[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  State file location randomly moving

State file location randomly moving

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Daniel P   USA  (97 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Wed 11 May 2011 04:47 PM (UTC)
This is probably simpler than I would think...but here's the deal. Between yesterday morning when everything worked fine, and yesterday afternoon when I went through a few machine reboots, my state file location decided to move from MUSHClient/worlds/plugins/state/ to MUSHClient/state/. And I don't believe I had anything to do with it.

But you can imagine it. When I turned everything on, all my plugins wanted to reinitialise (and the few -I- wrote sent the client into a loop due to 'these world variables you want are not being found so let's try again and give the same error').

What could have been the cause for this? Is there an option in the global settings? I couldn't see one myself..and I don't go in there often enough, so I know that I didn't touch anything. All I know is that I closed all the connections, exited out of the client, rebooted, played around with something else, rebooted again and what I would call the pointer to the state location had changed.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,982 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Wed 11 May 2011 11:08 PM (UTC)
Template:version Please help us by advising the version of MUSHclient you are using. Use the Help menu -> About MUSHclient.

The state file location is now stored in the preferences database "mushclient_prefs.sqlite" in the MUSHclient executable directory.

Sounds like you somehow changed it (hard to say how, unless maybe you fiddled with the plugins folder). But possibly the "current directory" changed.

You can download the GUI SQLite3 browser from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/

Use that to open the database mushclient_prefs.sqlite, switch to the prefs table, and look for "StateFilesDirectory". You can then edit that to be the correct place and commit it back to the database. I would remove the "." personally and put in a full pathname. That should permanently fix it.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Wed 11 May 2011 11:36 PM (UTC)
Straaange. For some reason it IS set as a full pathname right now, and in the new location (C:\Program Files\MUSHClient\state\). However I think I know what -might- have caused it.

I got to experimenting around with some server called Diaspora...and in the setup it needed to set up some MySQL stuff. It may be that somehow it...no this really does not make sense, though it's probably the most probable thing.

Well, since it IS a full path, I probably won't have any more problems with it. It's just be nice to know what in the world happened. Oh well.

Thanks for pointing this out. Besides knowing THAT, I also know now how to fix world windows that might get stuck on a second monitor or something lame like that.

Now to make backups...
[Go to top] top

Posted by Twisol   USA  (2,257 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Wed 11 May 2011 11:41 PM (UTC)
MySQL and sqlite are totally different SQL libraries, though. MySQL runs a server process which you connect to in order to make queries, while sqlite is part of your program. I would be very surprised if Diaspora messed up the settings, because not only would it need to use sqlite, it would need to open that specific sqlite file.

'Soludra' on Achaea

Blog: http://jonathan.com/
GitHub: http://github.com/Twisol
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Thu 12 May 2011 05:43 PM (UTC)
Very true. I totally agree that it probably wasn't the MySQL stuff, but it seems the only likely thing, since it happened all of a sudden, and MySQL was the only thing that was doing any sort of database manipulation at the time that it occurred.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

16,354 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]