[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Random Disconnects

Random Disconnects

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Sombalance   (5 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Wed 22 Aug 2012 11:05 AM (UTC)
I've recently moved to playing muds on a windows 7 box using MushClient. I've noticed that at times I seem to get disconnected from the mud, almost like a network drop. It isn't consistent, but when it does happen it seems to be within the first 15 minutes of connecting to the game and I've been idle for a few minutes. (Idle in MushClient, I'm normally active in another window, often putty)

The mud reports a server disconnect from the remote end.

I haven't noticed the behavior on Vista or XP, but I'm not using either of them as much as the 7 box these days. I'm running MushClient 4.73 with no plugins, triggers or aliases turned on. I do have MXP turned on though.

I've also been trying to reproduce it using putty, but so far I've only had it happen in the one configuration.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this? I've had absolutely no luck consistently reproducing the issue and I'd feel a little better about if if someone else had seen something similar.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Daniel P   USA  (97 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Wed 22 Aug 2012 01:50 PM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 22 Aug 2012 02:05 PM (UTC) by Daniel P

Not a Win7 user. But this used to happen to me a few years ago on WinXP, especially if I was at the library. Perhaps at least an attempt at a solution would be a timer in MUSHClient which would send an IDLE command every five minutes or so. And also set the option on the server to send you a keepalive. Those two commands are designed to keep you connected to the server while idle.

Both of these commands should exist for the server you're playing on, though the syntax would probably differ between server types. Like on Penn, KEEPALIVE is a flag you set on yourself, whereas in something like Iron Realms MUDs, keepalive is a subset of the config. You'd have to figure that bit out yourself.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Thu 23 Aug 2012 07:06 AM (UTC)
There is a plugin you can install, discussed here:

Template:post=10483 Please see the forum thread: http://gammon.com.au/forum/?id=10483.

That lets you set a "keepalive" option which may or may not help in your particular case.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Thu 23 Aug 2012 10:25 AM (UTC)
Thanks, I didn't even think to see if there was a plugin that might turn on the keep alive.

It normally happens about once a day, I just can't predict when, but I should know by this weekend if that was it.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Fri 24 Aug 2012 08:53 AM (UTC)
Just a quick update. Keep alive didn't help. I was disconnected about 10 minutes after setting it.

After comparing the old connections to the new one, I noticed that I used the IP address instead of the domain name in the connections on my older pc. Which is also what I did when I tested with putty on the new pc without issue.

I changed the new connection in MUSHclient to use the IP address and I've been free of random disconnects since.

It was a dynamic dns name which might explain it.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Fri 24 Aug 2012 09:15 PM (UTC)

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

17,607 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]