[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Lua
. . -> [Subject]  Native MSDP/GMCP/ETC Support (Not Plugin)

Native MSDP/GMCP/ETC Support (Not Plugin)

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Xvordan   (29 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 22 Jun 2017 10:49 AM (UTC)
I've been struggling for the last few days to make heads or tails out of MSDP. Disclaimer, I am a fairly casual muder, and while I can use lua enough to do some scripting, I am no Telnet maven or lua expert. I've gotten it down (by examining multiple MSDP plugins) to figuring out which functions I need to use to send and receive MSDP packets, but beyond that, I kind of get stumped.

I've been messing around with the plugin from https://github.com/kvirund/mushclient.msdp, but I have no idea what it's doing with the data, how it's storing it, and most important, how to access and manipulate it. It seems to write to a request table, but I used tprint to print that table after I ran an MSDP command, and it didn't print out a nice big table of info as I'd hoped, just one variable, so I'm not sure if this plugin isn't working correctly, or if I'm doing something wrong with it.

I give that preamble in order to ask if MSDP and such behind-the-scenes protocols for sending data might possibly get native support from MUSHClient? I'd love to be able to just access variables directly from inside an alias, rather than having to call plugin(some long number), plus a bunch of function with which I'm not acquainted. I know, you scripting guru's will probably scoff, but I literally looked at this plugin for a few days, tweaking it, adding debugging aliases (such as the one to tprint the MSDP table that the plugin was supposedly updating), etc, and it honestly is getting pretty demoralizing. Furthermore, most of the plugins I've discovered and tried to work with concern themselves with graphical interfaces. I don't actually want to use MSDP for that kind of purpose -- I just want it to capture variables like health, character name, etc, so I can modify the status bar to become a prompt that's not always being re-sent by the mud, or update the title bar with the character name, or have a script alert me when my health is low, and so on.

If MUSHClient could support MSDP natively, and store those variables inside its own variable/array structure, life would be so much easier on me. I understand that with the ability to do this with a plugin, such an integration's probably not very high on the priority list, which why I'm just asking if there are any plans at all to bake support directly into the program.

Thanks.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

6,679 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]