[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Gammon Software Solutions forum

See www.mushclient.com/spam for dealing with forum spam. Please read the MUSHclient FAQ!

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  PennMUSH
. -> [Folder]  Running the server
. . -> [Subject]  Bug in unix2dos and dos2unix?
Home  |  Users  |  Search  |  FAQ
Username:
Register forum user name
Password:
Forgotten password?

Bug in unix2dos and dos2unix?

[Reply to this subject]  Reply to this subject   [New subject]  Start a new subject   [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Linda   Sweden  (164 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 06 Jan 2003 12:31 AM (UTC)  quote  ]
Not quite a PennMUSH server issue, but related anyway.

I've always used unix2dos.exe and dos2unix.exe to convert my dbs when switching between my windows binary of Penn and Penn on the FreeBSD server we have our game out.

However, all of a sudden that isn't working any longer. Using unix2dos.exe on a db downloaded from the server causes the Windows binary to crash.

This seems to happen only with dbs saved under 1.7.7p3 (the most recent Penn release), but I don't know if the issue is something in my db (but it loads up fine if converted in a text editor) or something in the converters.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (554 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Tue 07 Jan 2003 06:26 AM (UTC)  quote  ]
Actually, with as many freeware programs as there are to read and save files in *nix format on a windows machine, the converters are largely defunct anyway. My personal favorite just because of the site its on is a lil notepad replacement called metapad. Metapad can be found at http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad - has no filesize limits and wont destroy formatting on *nix files when you open em on a windows machine. With any luck you can just outright replace notepad with it, though XP does seem to have issues with my attempts to do so :/ There are several other very nice free or nearly enough free programs with similar abilities for download if you'd prefer to search for something else. As for your problems cause, I've no clue since I dont deal with Penn or the converters but this is a viable solution if you choose to go with it.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (19,183 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Tue 07 Jan 2003 09:19 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
The converters are pretty simple, and shouldn't cause problems, and it is strange it has suddenly started happening.

What you could do is compare the converted file by my program, and the file converted by another utility and try to identify in what way they are working differently (eg. one extra blank line at the end).

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Linda   Sweden  (164 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Tue 07 Jan 2003 09:50 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
I've tried doing this manually, and I can't seem to find any difference between a file converted by the converters and by notepad program. Can the comparison be done automatically, somehow?

Definitely an odd situation, but I've tested it several times now, and a db converted with the converters always crashes the binary, leaving this error message in the log: DB: Garbage after quoted string, line 14

However, nothing like that can be found in the db.

Very odd.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (19,183 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Tue 07 Jan 2003 11:11 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
Crashes at line 14 eh? That makes it simple. Try sending me (by email, zipped up) ...

1. first 20 lines of the original file
2. first 20 lines of the file converted by unix2dos (or dos2unix, whichever is causing the problem)
3. first 20 lines of the file converted with your other program (please say which one it was).

I'll use my unix compare utilities, and other methods, to see the difference.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

4,068 views.

[Reply to this subject]  Reply to this subject   [New subject]  Start a new subject   [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( http://www.gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Internet Contents Rating Association (ICRA) - 2K]    [Web site powered by FutureQuest.Net]