[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Gammon Software Solutions forum

See www.mushclient.com/spam for dealing with forum spam. Please read the MUSHclient FAQ!

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  Mushclient setup suggestion
Home  |  Users  |  Search  |  FAQ
Username:
Register forum user name
Password:
Forgotten password?

Mushclient setup suggestion

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.   [New subject]  Start a new subject   [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Poromenos   Greece  (1,037 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 11 Apr 2003 11:26 AM (UTC)  quote  ]
MUSHClient setup should not overwrite scripts, figlet files, or generally anything that hasn't changed, or that the user could have changed, at least not without prompting... I hate how it replaces the custom multiple_send.xml every time...

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
http://porocrom.poromenos.org/ Read it!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (19,603 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Sat 12 Apr 2003 08:26 AM (UTC)  quote  ]
I think we went through this one a while back. You say it shouldn't overwrite things that the user changed - fair enough, but how do we know the user changed it?

Say the original file was installed in January, you changed it in February, and the new file (from the install) was changed in March. The installer looks at the file and says "I am replacing an earlier file, that is OK".

The only real way to know if *you* changed it would be to have a list of hashes for every file previously installed, and then hashes for the new ones, and warn the user if we appear to be replacing a file whose hash we don't know of. This could get quite complex if the MUSHclient files (eg., scripts) change quite often, but you don't necessarily install every version.

As for warning before replacing every file, that would be tedious. If you can give me an algorithm that you think would work (in pseudo-code) let me know.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Linda   Sweden  (164 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Sat 12 Apr 2003 06:35 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
Wouldn't it be possible to, in addition to the version that uses the installer, for each new release of MUSHclient also distribute a zip file that contains only those elements updated for that release?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Sat 12 Apr 2003 08:57 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
Linda, the installer is very small, and the other files are too, so a zip file wouldn't really make a difference, maybe 30-40 kb?
Nick, about that suggestion, it's simple... Just update mushclient.exe and any DLLs or files that the user can't customize, and if the file dates are different for the rest of the files, ask. That way, if i changed a plugin, it would prompt me, otherwise it would overwrite/do nothing, because the files would be the same... NSIS can do that... Also, you should set "SetDateSave on" if you haven't, it helps.

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (19,603 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Sat 12 Apr 2003 09:43 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
SetDateSave is on, however I don't see how that helps. I still can't distinguish between a batch of files *I* have changed and a batch of files *you* have changed.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Sat 12 Apr 2003 09:45 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
To anyone reading this, I recommend that if you plan to change a supplied file from the MUSHclient distribution (eg. sample script files, sample plugins, or whatever) you make a copy under a different name, and use the copy. That way it can't be overridden.

To be paranoid you would also put it into a different directory in case you choose a name I later use myself. This has the added advantage that you can tell which are your files, because they are in a different directory.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Linda   Sweden  (164 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Sun 13 Apr 2003 12:08 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
I wasn't suggesting a zip to cut down on size, just so you don't have to be concerned about files being overwritten. I'd just like to be able to extract only the files that were updated for that release.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Sun 13 Apr 2003 06:15 PM (UTC)  quote  ]

Amended on Sun 13 Apr 2003 06:21 PM (UTC) by Poromenos

Make it ask the user when the source file's date is different from the destination file's, except for mushclient.exe or the .dlls. With setdatesave on, the dates of the unchanged files of each release will be the same, so it would ask the user before overwriting files, even if you had changed them...

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Haflinger   (9 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #8 on Sun 20 Apr 2003 03:11 AM (UTC)  quote  ]
I think what Linda was suggesting, was having the installer create a subdirectory in MUSHclient, possibly named "Update", and extract all the files there. Then one could selectively copy the files from that directory, into the MUSHclient directory. This is assuming that the files to be copied don't have to be "installed" into the registery or integrated into another file somehow.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #9 on Sun 20 Apr 2003 04:44 AM (UTC)  quote  ]
What Nick is saying is, when you edit a file, Rename it, that way it wont get overwriten, as well as you'll know that its YOUR file. There's no reason to make a 'smart installer' when you can just have smart operators. Cuts down on bloat, and makes things run more smoothly and clearly.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

4,292 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.   [New subject]  Start a new subject   [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( http://www.gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Web site powered by FutureQuest.Net]