[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Wine
. . -> [Subject]  WINE//Import Crash

WINE//Import Crash

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by WhiskeyP   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Wed 25 Oct 2006 11:59 AM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 25 Oct 2006 12:07 PM (UTC) by WhiskeyP

Im running MUSHClient on WINE 0.9.2//FC5 and everything seems just as it should be until I select an xml file to import from the /world/plugin directory. It, meaning mushclient, states it cannot create the state file and crashes.

I dont know what you can do about this... but any help is appreciated. I would really really like to see MUSHClient running 100% on my linux sys.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Wed 25 Oct 2006 09:50 PM (UTC)
Umm. Can't speek for Nick here, but there are no certainties when running anything for Windows in WINE, though upgrading the version might help. That said... Are you actually trying to use "Import"? Because plugins "do not" get loaded using Import, they are loaded through the "Plugins" menu option. There have already been comments about this confusion and possible fixes. Basically, "Import" is designed for taking data from a file that is structured as "only" triggers, aliases and/or timers, then inserting that directly into the world file. The Import command doesn't know how to parse plugins correctly, can't do anything about the script in them if it could and isn't intended for use with that kind of XML.

---

Oh, and a note to Nick. One other solution to this easilly made mistake would be to check the file to see if it is a plugin before parsing it though Import and doing any one of the following:

1. Warn the user its a plugin and they need to use "Plugins" to load it.

2. Warn them it the wrong type of file, then ask if the want to "only" import the valid parts, with a warning that they may not work as intended outside the plugin if they call scripting (this would require added other checks and things to the parser, so it ignores the stuff that would cause a crash).

3. Warn them that the file is the wrong type, then ask them if they wish to load it as a plugin instead, and if they click yes, automatically pass the file to the plugin importer and drop the user to the "Plugins" menu, instead of doing the normal import.

4. All of the above.

Renaming the menu items so it is clearer "is" simpler, but probably won't solve the problem of people getting them mixed up. If people are going to make mistakes, there is no reason to be overly unfriendly about it. lol
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,988 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Wed 25 Oct 2006 10:07 PM (UTC)
You may have a good point their Shadowfyr, however:

Quote:

... everything seems just as it should be until I select an xml file to import from the /world/plugin directory. It, meaning mushclient, states it cannot create the state file and crashes.

This message suggests to me that it doesn't have the directory for the state files. If you manually copied MUSHclient.exe over, that may well be the case.

You haven't said which version of MUSHclient you are using, or which plugin, but I can't reproduce this problem with an earlier MUSHclient (3.74) or the latest one (3.82). I get a message about the state file not being able to be created, but not a crash.

Try making sure you have the directory structure:

Underneath the directory with MUSHclient.exe in it, make sure you have:

worlds -> plugins -> state

That is 3 extra directories. Specifically, you need a directory "state" in the same place where the plugins are.

And to confirm what Shadowfyr said, hopefully you are using File -> Plugins to load the plugin, not File -> Import.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Onoitsu2   USA  (248 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Thu 26 Oct 2006 09:16 AM (UTC)
I have had several friends that I have sent my plugins, say they have this problem, and creating the directory fixed the problems for most, others, i suggested they needed to delete the state file for the particular plugin that is having the problem as it COULD create it, but not write to it, as there was some delay in the permissions being set, so delete the state file for said problematic plugin, and then reinstall the plugin.

Hope that helps...
Laterzzz,
Onoitsu2
[Go to top] top

Posted by WhiskeyP   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Sat 28 Oct 2006 08:09 AM (UTC)

Amended on Sat 28 Oct 2006 08:10 AM (UTC) by WhiskeyP

Yeah, it crashes when I go to File>Plugins>Add>Browse File> Crash. I tried deleting the state file and made sure everything was in the right spot. Still crashes.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,988 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Sat 28 Oct 2006 08:37 PM (UTC)
Which version of MUSHclient are you using?
Which plugin are you loading?
Do all plugins cause a crash, or a particular one?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Onoitsu2   USA  (248 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Sun 29 Oct 2006 01:51 AM (UTC)
Does it crash at the browse dialog, or once you selected a plugin, or once u hit the Open button?

Cause that info will determine if it is mushclient crashing, or it is the WINE Api Layer that is causing the problem

Laterzzz,
Onoitsu2
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Tue 31 Oct 2006 12:46 AM (UTC)

One other solution to this easilly made mistake would be to check the file to see if it is a plugin before parsing it though Import ...

Version 3.83 now has this check built in, so that you can no longer import plugins - you must "add" them with the plugins dialog.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

23,947 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]