[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Miniwindows
. . -> [Subject]  MiniWindows usage

MiniWindows usage

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Tsheller   USA  (14 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 30 Aug 2008 11:27 PM (UTC)
So, Long time fan (and donator) of MUSHclient, Nick.

I just have a few questions before I really dive into this, as last time I tried to do the dummy windows it proved to be a tedious task I never quite got right.

- Are there still problems with the way packets work and capturing text with triggers? Before, I would end up losing half a string because of some technicality I will spare myself from trying to understand. I just know whatever I was doing didn't work, and it was hard to describe.

- Is there some special way mini windows are saved? I know its a lot asking someone to hold my hand, but I am fairly sure my needs are simple enough that I could save myself some real headaches. I got a window to draw easily enough, but I would just like some simple mini windows fixed on the right hand side that capture output of a command -and- I want them to load on the screen when I open mushclient. When I closed and re-opened it, my window was gone.

I have some ideas, but my uses of the mini-windows are pretty limited, if I could get just a couple of them it would be a huge help.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,990 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Sun 31 Aug 2008 03:08 AM (UTC)
I believe people, including me, are going to work on a chat miniwindow shortly, the major problem is handling scrolling.

You should never lose stuff to triggers, however if you are capturing in the packet callback that is a bit different because a line might be split between packets.

Miniwindows are not saved, per se. A script that makes a miniwindow would need to be loaded each time. Ideally a plugin would do that, so each time you load the plugin it creates the windows for you.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Mon 01 Sep 2008 01:12 AM (UTC)
Plugins - yes, this is obvious and I dont know how I missed it. After poking around, I can see it will take me several more hours of research to figure out what I need to do, but on the off-chance...

Another think I remember happening when 'gagging' or replacing text is that the output window always scrolled the number of lines that were gagged. Does this still happen? If it does, then this not the solution I am looking for, and we can disregard the rest! Again, its possible I was doing everything entirely wrong in the first place.

I need a plugin with a command toggle that activates/deactivates a timer to run the command 'group' about every 3 seconds and post the output to a mini-window docked on the middle right side. Im not sure if there is a way to begin capturing data on the output, and end on, say, when the standard health prompt (starts with '<')

Once that far, I think I should be able to modify the output to what suits my needs with other triggers, but any help getting this far would be immensely appreciated. I tried to just mod one of the ones included (the helpfile one for Aardmud) but it just never seemed to work quite right after tweaking.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,990 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Mon 01 Sep 2008 06:54 AM (UTC)
Yes that is all totally feasible. The problem with the window jumping around with omit from output has been resolved in recent versions. I have plugins now that get extensive amounts of data which is omitted, and I don't see any jumping or flickering at all.

The group info idea sounds perfectly reasonable, and you should be able to implement it easily. Check out the plugins I posted recently about getting quest data, that does the same sort of thing.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Mon 01 Sep 2008 07:33 AM (UTC)

Amended on Mon 01 Sep 2008 07:34 AM (UTC) by Tsheller

Yeah, I am kind of getting the grasp of it. A couple things I don't understand:

- How am I supposed to actually enable/disable the timer? I've figured that I can be efficient by just have two commands to turn off and on a timer.

- Then, How am I telling the client to capture the specific response until it detects what character I want the capturing to end, which is '<'

The output of the group command would be something like:

A silly-haired, pierced-face young woman [||||||], leading:

a dodgy old man [||||| ].

<||||||/******/######>

Ideally, I would like the miniwindow to just sit on my screen. I've plenty of real estate that is not being used, and then when I type in a command it just starts a timed command. The Quest helper plugin gives me a pretty good understanding, but it seems to be based on triggers and has multiple states which for some reason is really bogging down the way I am understanding how the information is moving through the script.

maybe I am just a little too dense to get this stuff right now, eh? :)

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Tue 02 Sep 2008 12:51 AM (UTC)

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Mymyc   (25 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Mon 13 Apr 2009 04:31 PM (UTC)
STOP! I have an idea! It just might work! Use the MUSHCLIENT notepad instead of using complicated scripts and plugins!

Set up an alias: called SETMINIWINDOWS

AppendToNotepad("CHAT","Start:")
MoveNotepadWindow("CHAT",826,1,200,720) -- resizing notepad
NotepadFont("CHAT","Bitstream Vera Sans Mono",10,1,0)
NotepadColour("CHAT","whitesmoke","black")
MoveWorldWindow(0,0,825,723) -- resizing mud window

-------------------------------------------------------

Type: SETMINIWINDOWS, ta-da there is the main world + a notepad window.

Use triggers to catch <whatever> then use
AppendToNotepad("CHAT","<whatever>"

:-D
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

20,011 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]