[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  basic help please

basic help please

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by Guest1   USA  (256 posts)
Date Wed 22 May 2002 05:36 PM (UTC)
i have an alias that calls a subroutine that sets a variable, which works fine. The variable name is 'stabperson' and the contents are the playername of the person who is currently the designated 'stabber' when in a group. No worries so far.
I am then trying to set a trigger so that when that particular person (and ONLY that person) stabs something, I automatically rescue them. This is where I'm having the problem.

the syntax when they stab is

"playername places an ice chisel in the back of the..."

so I have tried setting a trigger like this..

trigger: * places
send: rescue @stabperson

i have 'expand variables' checked and have tried this trigger with ' send : rescue @@stabperson ' as well, with no luck. Ideally I want the trigger set up so that the trigger AND what it sends is particular only to whatever the variable is that I've set.. like

trigger : @stabperson places
send : rescue @stabperson

can someone please help me with the correct syntax for this trigger and what it sends?
thanks
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #1 on Wed 22 May 2002 05:47 PM (UTC)

I'm aware I could just have

trigger : * places
send : rescue %1

but I don't want it to be activated by anyone other than the playername i set in the variable.. :)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Magnum   Canada  (580 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Wed 22 May 2002 07:03 PM (UTC)
Expand Variables: Checked
Enabled: Checked
Send: rescue @stabperson

You were forgetting to allow for the rest of the text on the line...

Get my plugins here: http://www.magnumsworld.com/muds/

Constantly proving I don't know what I am doing...
Magnum.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Wed 22 May 2002 07:17 PM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 22 May 2002 07:18 PM (UTC) by Shadowfyr

Ok first off.. Simply using one word to match along with the name is asking from trouble. I imagine that if 'Someone places a pot on the ground' they probably don't need rescuing. ;)

Your second problem is that using only one word like that requires regular expressions, which makes the possible errors even worse in your case since it would hit on 'any' match in which the word 'places' was found with at least one word in front of it.

So here's the simplest solution:

trigger : ^@stabperson places an ice chisel in the back of the .*
send : rescue @stabperson
Regular Expression: Checked

The .* is the key here since now the trigger says 'Match on the variable followed by "places an ice..." and then followed by anything else that may be there.', where your attempt said 'Match if there are -only- two words and the second one is "places"'.

This (assuming is even works lol) should be spoof proof, since the ^ will only allow it to match if it is at the start of the line and not in the middle of a tell, etc.

Hope this helps. It would probably be the first time I got a regular expression right the first try. ;) lol
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Wed 22 May 2002 08:09 PM (UTC)

Magnum - hehe yup I realised a little later that I had forgotton the * at the end to cover the rest of the line.. no wonder nothing would work.

Shadowfyr - unfortunately I cannot go any further than using '* places' as the weapons used vary greatly, however, the ^ is a great help, thanks.
By using the set variable at least i'll be limited to rescuing the designated stabber if they place a pot on the ground. Ya never know, it might be a very violent pot that doesn't like being placed on the ground :)

thanks again. If I have any probs, I'll post again. If not, you'll know you got it right first try :)

cheers
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,990 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Wed 22 May 2002 10:32 PM (UTC)

^@stabperson places an ice chisel in the back of the .*

won't work because of a bug in MUSHclient that is fixed in 3.23.

However for now, match on everything, and test it in a script, eg like this:

<triggers>
  <trigger
   enabled="y"
   match="^(.*) places an ice chisel in the back of the .*"
   name="stab"
   regexp="y"
   script="OnStab"
   sequence="100"
  >
  </trigger>
</triggers>

Script ...

sub OnStab (sName, sLine, wildcards)

if wildcards (1) = world.getvariable ("stabperson") then
    world.send "rescue " & wildcards (1)
  end if

end sub

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Wed 22 May 2002 11:34 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 23 May 2002 12:20 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

Thanks for that :) will be testing it out soon.

I have another one for ya.. this one hopefully more basic. All I'm trying to do is to omit output from a world.send command sent from a sub routine..
I actually got it to work, but then it seemed to also stop me viewing some things generated by the mud..
Ok, here's one of the subroutines.. all I want to see is what everyone else sees in the World.send "grouptell..", not me inputting it as well.. just for this routine only, not for all my commands. I've been trying to add in the
world.note world.EchoInput
world.EchoInput = vbTrue
world.EchoInput = vbFalse;
but it's effecting things outside the subroutine as well.. can you help? I may have just been putting the above in the wrong place, but anyway, here is the script I'm trying to amend.

sub whiner (strTriggerName, trig_line, arrWildCards)
dim maxhpVar
dim oldhpVar 
dim hpVar
dim difference

hpVar = arrWildCards (1)
     maxhpVar = World.GetVariable("maxhp")
     oldhpVar = World.GetVariable("oldhp")
     difference = oldhpVar - hpVar
     if difference > 40 then

World.send "grouptell \a02\c17>>\c12 TANK REPORT \c17<<\a01\c12 " & hpVar & " / " & maxhpVar & " \a02\c17(-" 

& difference & ") \a01\c12*OUCH*\a01"

World.SetVariable "oldhp", hpVar
      end if
      difference = hpVar - oldhpVar
      if difference > 40 then

World.send "grouptell \a02\c17>>\c12 TANK REPORT \c17<<\a01\c12 " & hpVar & " / " & maxhpVar & " \a02\c15(+" 

& difference & ") \a01\c12*mmm*\a01"

World.SetVariable "oldhp", hpVar
      end if      
end sub

Amended by Nick to add [code].
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,990 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #7 on Thu 23 May 2002 12:23 AM (UTC)
This example doesn't seem to be attempting to omit output. Can you post the version that does?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Magnum   Canada  (580 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #8 on Thu 23 May 2002 12:28 AM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 23 May 2002 12:41 AM (UTC) by Magnum

Heh Heh. This is something I use extensively myself.

You should be able to put "world.EchoInput = vbFalse" just before a "World.Send" and then "world.EchoInput = vbTrue" on the line immediately after, and you will get the results you want.

In earlier versions, this was bugged, due to an inconsistency in the value stored in the VB constant vbTrue and vbFalse.

(Look for other threads on this subject "Echo Input")

Once it was pointed out, Nick fixed the bug, but I believe it may have creeped back in.

Recently, I experienced my echoinput remaining off, despite having it working properly for months in my script. Check the very recent posts, I think someone else just brought this up as well.

Get my plugins here: http://www.magnumsworld.com/muds/

Constantly proving I don't know what I am doing...
Magnum.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Thu 23 May 2002 12:47 AM (UTC)
Hi Nick, Hi Magnum.. the one I tried was exactly as I posted, but with 'world.EchoInput = vbTrue' just before the 'World.Send' lines, and then 'world.EchoInput = vbFalse' just at the end of each 'World.Send' line. The result was exactly as Magnum said - echo input remained off.. had to switch it back on in file -> world properties -> input -> commands window.
This only happens with ones in script... selecting 'omit input' on triggers and aliases works fine.
just a fact of life?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Thu 23 May 2002 01:34 AM (UTC)
Depends which version of MUSHclient you have. However this should work in any version:

world.EchoInput = 1 ' turn echo on

The problem is, VB uses -1 for true, whereas C uses 1. The difference is what is causing the problem.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Thu 23 May 2002 01:40 AM (UTC)
when I send 'rescue playername' and then fail the rescue, I get the message 'You fail the rescue!' as normal.
I want to set this as a trigger to rescue the same playername again, but since there is no char name in that message, I need to use the 'repeat last command' option to do it (manually CTRL + R).. but how to code this?
I've tried getting the trigger to fire a subroutine called repeat, and loaded in a subroutine containing

world.send world.getcommandlist (1) (0)

and keep getting errors.. *ack*
appreciate your help :)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Thu 23 May 2002 01:44 AM (UTC)
sorry I should have mentioned, I am coding in vbs
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Thu 23 May 2002 01:48 AM (UTC)

world.EchoInput = 0
World.send "grouptell TANK REPORT "
world.EchoInput = -1

worked great :)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #14 on Thu 23 May 2002 02:03 AM (UTC)
Repeating the last command might be dangerous if you slipped another command in, in the meantime.

You already know the person, don't you? That is in the variable "stabperson".

Just make the trigger do this:

<triggers>
  <trigger
   enabled="y"
   expand_variables="y"
   match="You fail the rescue!"
   sequence="100"
  >
  <send>rescue @stabperson</send>
  </trigger>
</triggers>

However, if you are rescuing a different person, make an alias to remember the person's name, then change the trigger above to use that variable. eg.

<aliases>
  <alias
   name="Rescue"
   script="OnRescue"
   match="rescue *"
   enabled="y"
  >
  <send>%0</send>
  </alias>
</aliases>

Script ... 
sub onrescue (sName, sLine, wildcards)
 world.setvariable "rescuename", wildcards (1)
end sub

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

49,893 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]