[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Gammon Software Solutions forum

See www.mushclient.com/spam for dealing with forum spam. Please read the MUSHclient FAQ!

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUDs
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  questions about economy systems
Home  |  Users  |  Search  |  FAQ
Username:
Register forum user name
Password:
Forgotten password?

questions about economy systems

[Reply to this subject]  Reply to this subject   [New subject]  Start a new subject   [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1  2 

Posted by Nick Cash   USA  (626 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #15 on Sun 27 Sep 2009 07:40 AM (UTC)  quote  ]

Amended on Sun 27 Sep 2009 07:43 AM (UTC) by Nick Cash

Starting with small projects can be frustrating, because you feel like you're not getting anywhere. I really understand this, because I used to think and act this way. But as a result, I made progress in 6 years that I probably could or should have made in less than one year. I kept trying to do too much, without knowing what I was doing, and as a result I got relatively little, if indeed anything, done. So, even if it feels like slowing down, taking your time can actually speed things up in the end.

Agreed. I too started out doing big projects. Once I got far enough along to see the fatal flaws, I would redesign and try something else. After a few iterations, I realized it is much better to spend the time to learn several specific things by messing up examples than try to implement it in something you -want- without knowing how to do it. Working on smaller examples is a great tactic to learn specific bits (sometimes referred to as spiking in agile development terms) and analyze how challenging the task really is.

To this day, after many years of personal, academic, and professional programming experience I often have to take a step back from anything that should be of high quality (such as my embedded code at work, or my hobby MUD project) and work on small example to make sure I'm doing things the way they should be done. Figuring out the problem now and implementing something correctly is far less costly in time and money then redesigning and reimplementing down the road.

~Nick Cash
http://www.nick-cash.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

7,518 views.

This is page 2, subject is 2 pages long:  [Previous page]  1  2 

[Reply to this subject]  Reply to this subject   [New subject]  Start a new subject   [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( http://www.gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Web site powered by FutureQuest.Net]