[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  SMAUG coding
. . -> [Subject]  objects and saving contents in them

objects and saving contents in them

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Jennan   Canada  (11 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sun 30 Mar 2003 08:33 PM (UTC)

Just curious. I have created a Desk for a PC office. I have made the desk a container so she can put things in it. So far so good :-)

However, when she logs out and logs back in, the contents are gone from the desk. Is there a way to fix this so that the desk keeps the items in even if the mud is down or she logs out?

Thanks in advance for anyhelp

Jennan

Jennan
cleddyf@yahoo.com

World of Eyron
Arch Wizard

Yahoo IM: cleddyf
MSN: cleddyf@telus.net

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Cash   USA  (626 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Sun 30 Mar 2003 10:47 PM (UTC)
I'm not sure what your running but in SWR it would be to make it a player home. Whatever codebase you run I'm fairly sure there is a empty_home room flag. Just slap the flag on the room and tell her to use buyhome.*

*: Note that buyhome costs money, not sure how much, you could just take it out of the code.

Anyways, what this will do is anything that is dropped in the room will be there whenever she gets on, after a reboot, and if you do it right, even after a copyover.

Hope that helpped, if it didn't tell us what codebase your using so we might be able to help a bit more.

Good luck :)

~Nick Cash
http://www.nick-cash.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Mon 31 Mar 2003 02:31 AM (UTC)

Thanks for the advice :-)

My oops, was in a rush when i wrote the post, and forgot to mention what i am writting the mud in. I am using Area Editor v1.31. I just took a quick peek in the flags for the room, all i can see that come close are; private and solitary.

Once again Thanks

Jennan

Jennan
cleddyf@yahoo.com

World of Eyron
Arch Wizard

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (23,000 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Wed 02 Apr 2003 07:00 AM (UTC)
Registered copies of the Area Editor allow you to use more flags - check out the smaugconfig.dat file that ships with it, and see if you can find the appropriate flag in there.

If it is, then registering your copy allows you to use that flag.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Tue 08 Apr 2003 03:11 AM (UTC)

First off, thank you to those who have offered sdvice. :-)

Well, i have since registered my copy of area editor and still having the same issue. I have tried all the flags...solo or in combination, and still no luck. Am, i missing something? IS there a snippet out there to add?

Once again, thanks for the help.

Off i go to try more ideas out.

Jennan

Jennan
cleddyf@yahoo.com

World of Eyron
Arch Wizard

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (23,000 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Tue 08 Apr 2003 11:09 PM (UTC)
When a player logs out the things s/he is carrying are saved in the player file (take a look at it to see the general idea).

However AFIK the rooms (and their contents) are read-only. Things that you leave lying around persist for a while, as you know, but after a server reboot it "resets" all rooms to a known state. This is done by reading the area files, they aren't written back at server shut-down.

I don't know why simply logging out makes things go away, however the general problem means you would need a way of saving object contents to some file, so they could be restored after a reboot.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Darisan   (57 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Mon 14 Apr 2003 05:08 PM (UTC)
hey, how can I make a room like storage in limbo (vnum 4) hold objects when I shutdown the server and restart it? I'm running smaug...

also, what is swr, and is it better than smaug?

thanks
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zhamel   USA  (67 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Tue 15 Apr 2003 02:18 AM (UTC)
If you want the player to have a personal room to store their items in then you would need to get a player house snippet, it would allow the items to persist over reboot, etc. You can find a housing snippet at mudworld.inetsolve.com/downloads/

SWR = Star Wars Reality

It's a SMAUG derivitive that is based around, you guessed it, Star Wars :P As to wheather it's better... that depends on who you ask. If you ask a fantasy fan they might say no, but a Star Wars fan would say it is better. Just check it out, see which you like and use that one.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

20,254 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]