[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  Dawn of Time
. -> [Folder]  Configuration
. . -> [Subject]  Sliding Scale of Skills

Sliding Scale of Skills

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Polarus   Canada  (69 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sun 13 Oct 2002 05:05 AM (UTC)
I know this may seem like a crazy idea but....
I was going to go for a classless system (if i can) but i would like to implement a slifing scale for combat and magic spheres. When a character creates they would be able to choose from 0-5 levels on the combat and magic spheres, and get they could only have amax amount (like a total of 6 levels of skill: ie: 1 skill in magic, 5 in combat, or 3 in magic, 3 in combat) The skills and spells they get would be based on the options they pick. I was just wondering where I should start with this...

-=Flitting from Project to Project=-
[Go to top] top

Posted by Kalahn   United Kingdom  (138 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Sun 13 Oct 2002 11:45 AM (UTC)

Amended on Sun 13 Oct 2002 12:04 PM (UTC) by Kalahn

In order to implement something like this, you need to have an intermediate level of C/C++ programming ability. It helps a lot understanding at a low level how the existing system works.

The question you ask, could be compared to asking a builder "how do I replace all the metal window frames in my house with a wooden frame of style z".

I don't know what level of skill you have in writing code, so the best way to answer the question is not obvious. But talking in the terms of the example above, if you have just decided that you want to start exploring DIY and have no previous experience, perhaps you should start with something a little easier, and less likely to make your house crash down around you due to structural damage to the walls - e.g. putting up a set of shelves/building a book case. i.e. start with a simple project like creating a new spell etc.

Then again, if you are reasonably skilled in C/C++ programming, then why don't you describe how far you have got in thinking how you would tackle it, and we can provide some pointers.

- Kal

Kalahn
Developer of the Dawn of Time codebase
http://www.dawnoftime.org/
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Sun 13 Oct 2002 07:05 PM (UTC)
Well, I am probably on the low scale of intermediate or high scale of beginner programmer, so maybe I will reconsider it, although someday in the future i would like to implement it. I am really just looking to make a system which is classless, but also has a choice between combat and magic spheres. I will see what else i cna come up with.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Mon 14 Oct 2002 05:59 AM (UTC)
I thought about it, and if i wanted a classless system, with racial maxes on skills, the all I have to do is create one class for each race, put all the skills in that I want them to be able to take, and then set the max for that class. This seems like it would work.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Tue 15 Oct 2002 09:33 PM (UTC)
Don't you mean, one class for all races? Since there is currently no way to force a race to select a class from a subset of the entire class list.

In otherwords, you have one race all together.

- Kal

Kalahn
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Tue 15 Oct 2002 10:18 PM (UTC)
For the elves, I would create elvencitizen class, it contains all the skills that elves could get on my game. Then I would set the exp modifier in raceedit to 1000 for elves, and 0 for every other race. I would do this for every race. Then we people create, they have only 1 choice for a class, the one I created for their race.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Thu 17 Oct 2002 10:05 PM (UTC)
Yep that will work. It wont automatically pick the class which is where I thought you were going with it. But it doesn't require you to do any mods to the code which is a plus.

- Kal

Kalahn
[Go to top] top

Posted by Cirin   USA  (19 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Thu 21 Nov 2002 04:56 PM (UTC)
On top of what you're doing. You could just go into the code and make it so that the check for the low%lev is actually just a check of their magic/combat rating. So you could have the level that they get the skill/spell at, then the low%lev would be the rating that they would need in combat/spells. Maybe 1-6 for Combat 7-12 for spells. Then you could just have it add 6 when it's checking for the spells that they would be gaining. This way you don't have to change that many things and you can still use the editors and stuff online. The only problem I can see you having is adding the combat/spell slider ratings IE: ch->combat/ch->spell so you're going to have to change the char_data and then changing the save.cpp which is a pain in the ass if you're not accustomed to it. You would also have to change the check that uses low%lev and just make it start at the actual level that you set for the spell. So the curve goes up from there.

Figured I would toss that out there, though, in case you hadn't thought of it.

ººººººººººººººººººººººº
ºº»º¢îrìñ hëllþørñ身ºº
ººººººººººººººººººººººº
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

24,378 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]