[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Illegal Operation when trying to connect

Illegal Operation when trying to connect

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by Traill   Canada  (9 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 06 Aug 2001 07:04 AM (UTC)
When I first dloaded MUSHclient and connected to my first world all was well. But after rebooting my system and trying to reconnect to this same world it throws me into an "illegal operation" and shuts down MUSHclient.

I experience no problems when connecting to another world.

When I try to open the world as a "new world" rather than the saved version of it, I still receive the same error msg. What's happened?!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Tue 07 Aug 2001 01:19 AM (UTC)
Very strange. Do you have scripting enabled? Maybe you have an old scripting DLL.

Can you give me the address/port? I can try connecting myself.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Tue 07 Aug 2001 02:06 AM (UTC)
Thanks for the reply.

The address is for Elendor MUSH, 134.114.66.33 port: 1892 or 1893

I had saved the world and then deleted it and then I connected again as a new world and it seemed to work after a few attempts. Once I shut down the world and try to reopen the saved world I receive the illegal operation again and it closes down MUSHclient.

I enabled scripting but didn't know which to select (don't even understand what that is!). Not sure what .dll means either. Sorry.

I appreciate your help.

Traill
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Tue 07 Aug 2001 02:12 AM (UTC)
Maybe this info would help? It's the details from the illegal operation:

MUSHCLIENT caused an invalid page fault in
module MUSHCLIENT.EXE at 015f:004911cd.
Registers:
EAX=0a129af0 CS=015f EIP=004911cd EFLGS=00010206
EBX=00000000 SS=0167 ESP=007af808 EBP=01013294
ECX=01109d74 DS=0167 ESI=01109d74 FS=0ef7
EDX=005072e4 ES=0167 EDI=01109d60 GS=41ff
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 08 89 4e 10 8b 4c 24 08 89 48 04 8b 4c 24 0c
Stack dump:
01109d74 0049123a 01109ae4 00000000 01109ac0 0040e6a5 01109ac0 01109d80 01013294 00000200 01109d88 007af958 004bc5a8 00000002 004786c5 00000200
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Sun 12 Aug 2001 07:23 PM (UTC)

Amended on Sun 12 Aug 2001 09:08 PM (UTC) by Traill

Still experiencing this problem and haven't been able to find a solution. I've actually had to go back and start using an old version 2. Help!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Sun 12 Aug 2001 08:50 PM (UTC)
I would have to guess it is something to do with Pueblo, so I'll try to reproduce it on Elendor today. Meanwhile, try turning off "Detect Pueblo initiation string" in the MXP/Pueblo configuration screen. If that makes a difference then it confirms my theory, and you are no worse off than going back to a previous version.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Wed 15 Aug 2001 02:39 AM (UTC)
I spoke with someone who also mushes at Elendor and they've experienced the same problem with receiving an illegal operation when connecting.

However, they did say this. Whereas on their home computer where they simply updated to the new version of MUSHclient they did not experience the problem but on their work computer, where they fully installed the new version, they did receive the illegal operation.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Wed 15 Aug 2001 03:17 AM (UTC)
Fully installing and just copying the .exe file over should not make any difference.

What is more likely is that there is a configuration difference between the home and work computer.

If you could isolate that it would be helpful. The trouble is, that with hundreds of options, each of which can be off or on, there could be millions of combinations of options, only one or two of which may make the difference.

However having said that, it is probably something relating to Pueblo, as you don't have the problem elsewhere. I would try turning Pueblo recognition off, and other things relating to output, such as indenting paragraphs, whether or not MXP colours are ignored, and things like that.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Linda   Sweden  (164 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #8 on Sun 19 Aug 2001 10:30 PM (UTC)
While doing some testing of MUSHclient, Pueblo and Elendor, I too ran into this 'illegal operation upon connect' issue.

I can connect just fine to Elendor with my regular world file, and I can connect just fine if I create a new world with my defaults preloaded from Elendor, but I _cannot_ quick connect there or connect with a world just created without preloading the defaults. Then I crash on connect.

To me, this looks like a world needs to be properly saved (or saved in some fashion, which it looks like preloading the defaults seems to do) for it to be able to connect to Elendor, presumably because it encounters some pueblo and/or mxp right off. Could this be the cause?

It also looks like Pueblo is automatically turned on when you quick connect or create a new world without preloading the defaults, and this might be a dangerous thing to do (if that is indeed what happens).

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Sun 19 Aug 2001 10:34 PM (UTC)
Oh, and I should add that the point during connect at which it crashes seems coincide with when the MUSH sends the signal to turn on Pueblo/MXP.

Also, quick connects to other worlds work just fine, even if they're Pueblo enabled, but maybe that is because no Pueblo initiation string is sent until you have a chance to save, or maybe it is just done differently.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Sun 19 Aug 2001 11:17 PM (UTC)
Very good, I can now reproduce the error - the trick is to fix it. I'll advise when a fix is ready. :)

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Sun 19 Aug 2001 11:42 PM (UTC)
Cool. :) I think, btw, that it is likely that the culprit might be MXP initialization rather than Pueblo intialization, since quick connecting/connecting with a new world to a world with just Pueblo (like M*U*S*H) doesn't seem to be a problem at all.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Mon 20 Aug 2001 01:17 AM (UTC)
I have found the problem, which was related to the "img" tag being incorrectly handled.

A new release of MUSHclient will be released in a few hours, as soon as a couple of other minor changes have been done.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Mon 20 Aug 2001 01:20 AM (UTC)
The reason why it would happen with a quick connect was that the text from the MUSH, including the img tag, was not sent if you did a "connect" immediately. Thus, connecting straight away would temporarily work around the problem, however it would be lurking there waiting for you if you ever strayed into a room with such a tag.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #14 on Tue 21 Aug 2001 11:10 PM (UTC)
Fantastic!

Thanks so much for the fix. Sorry I wasn't able to be more helpful (thanks Linda!). It's great to be able to connect to Elendor again.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

40,787 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]