[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  SMAUG coding
. . -> [Subject]  making game portless/internetless

making game portless/internetless

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by Swimming   (20 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 05 Feb 2004 01:09 AM (UTC)
I'm trying to make smaug so it can run on my computer without having to telnet or connect to it. i've gotten ridden of all the references to port stuffs and now it actually starts up, it hadn't been before because it could never resolve a port,(that's why i'm doing this).
now i just need to find a way to make it so i can play somehow...
do i need to try and make a special kinda command deal to handle and show the text or is there something like that i can butcher out there somewhere?
or have i not been too clear?

thankee~~
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Thu 05 Feb 2004 01:36 AM (UTC)
You can just "telnet" to localhost. Generally, if you're trying to play single player, you launch the server and then just connect to localhost.

If you want to completely remove all "networktivity", you'll want to use standard input instead of the sockets; however, that's a pretty big project and it's not quite as simple as just stripping out the network stuff. It's a pretty big project. I'd advise to just connect to localhost.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Thu 05 Feb 2004 01:41 AM (UTC)
i cannot connect by localhost, telnet or anything. it does not work at all on my computer, and i can't get it fixed, that's why i'm doing this.
so what should i do?

thankee~~
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Thu 05 Feb 2004 01:43 AM (UTC)
How can you not connect to localhost? If the port opens, you can always connect to localhost, assuming you have winsock and stuff installed.

What kind of setup do you have?

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Thu 05 Feb 2004 07:21 AM (UTC)
Are you using a different computer to the one you are using to post messages here?

If you have Unix you almost certainly could connect to localhost, if you have Windows it is usually installed too. If not, install TCP/IP protocol. That would be a lot easier than hacking the code away to talk to a single player.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Thu 05 Feb 2004 10:38 PM (UTC)
my computer runs windows98. it has all the winsock, tcp/ip stuff installed, but none of it works.
when i try to startup the server with the ports it doesn't detect them and it doesn't start. nothing i use for ports works.

. . .
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Fri 06 Feb 2004 01:53 AM (UTC)
What do you mean by the server doesn't detect the ports? And what doesn't start, the server?

Chances are it's not at all a networking issue, but something else entirely... where did you get your version of SMAUG?

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Posted by Greven   Canada  (835 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Fri 06 Feb 2004 03:33 AM (UTC)
If you could post some of the errors that your getting, it would make a big difference in trying to help you.

Nobody ever expects the spanish inquisition!

darkwarriors.net:4848
http://darkwarriors.net
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Sat 07 Feb 2004 08:29 PM (UTC)
i try to startup the server but i get this:
"Address family not supported by protocol family"(fairly certain this is what it says)
and it doesn't start. this is the only error i get.

have reinstalled winsock, tcp/ip ...
have yet to reinstall windows, but i can't(don't have disk)

downloaded smaug from the smaug website

i have other programs that have server stuffs and they don't work either, they just tell me they can't startup the server. and i have other muds that say the same thing smaug does that don't work either.

i am still interested in making smaug just talk to one person though. because i have plans, and i don't think my computer has a hope in the world of being saved...

~~swimming~~
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #9 on Sat 07 Feb 2004 08:55 PM (UTC)
Doing a search on your error message reveals some suggestions:

Make sure you...

1. have "Client for Microsoft Networks"
  2. install the Microsoft version of "TCP/IP"
  3. you're logged in and have a current IP address. You can use "winipcfg" from the Start\Run command.
  4. test other network applications for proper operability

Another site suggests "The problem is that the winsock.dll file in the Windows directory is the wrong version and needs to be replaced. ".

Also there is a suggestion that Trumpet Winsock (some versions) may cause this. Are you using that?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Tue 10 Feb 2004 12:56 AM (UTC)
i have client for windows, tcp/ip (i have reinstalled them several times), i have also replaced winsock, all and part, several times, with different versions and all that goodness

and all other network applications don't work either.

i've given up trying to fix it that way, so i just want to make smaug to talk to me, just point me to how

~~
[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #11 on Tue 10 Feb 2004 06:01 AM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 10 Feb 2004 06:03 AM (UTC) by Meerclar

Do you have a precompiled SMAUG executable or do you have the actual source code? If you have source, do you have the area files to go with it? Also for source, what compiler are you using? What is your startup command (and the exact resulting error messages) regardless of version? What is the ip address of your computer?

Just telling us it doesn't work without giving us any real info doesn't give us much chance of helping you solve your problem.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Greven   Canada  (835 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #12 on Tue 10 Feb 2004 07:27 AM (UTC)
Also, making a mud for single use might not be so much fun, however, if your not aware, descriptor 0 is stdin, you might be able to us that, open a connection to descriptor 0, but I can't guarantee anything.

Nobody ever expects the spanish inquisition!

darkwarriors.net:4848
http://darkwarriors.net
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Wed 11 Feb 2004 01:45 AM (UTC)
Do you have a precompiled SMAUG executable or do you have the actual source code? If you have source, do you have the area files to go with it? Also for source, what compiler are you using? What is your startup command (and the exact resulting error messages) regardless of version? What is the ip address of your computer?

i have both the precompiled and source, all the files they need. They've both worked before but for no reason at all it's started this trouble.
cygwin for compiling, ../src/smaug.exe

the error message is 'socket family not supported by protocol'

meh~~
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #14 on Wed 11 Feb 2004 02:35 AM (UTC)
When you say they worked before, do you mean that they worked with connections and all that?

If so, then you'd be better off trying to find out why they don't work anymore. Things don't just randomly stop working like that; chances are you changed network settings somewhere and broke it.

Can you show exactly where that error message is appearing?

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

42,031 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]