[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  Error 10065

Error 10065

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1  2 3  4  

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #15 on Wed 01 Dec 2004 03:54 PM (UTC)
Are you only trying localhost? Have you tried other MUDs?

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Mr Anonymous   (8 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #16 on Wed 01 Dec 2004 03:56 PM (UTC)
I've tried localhost, the 5 top muds on topmudsites.com or whatever it is and the MUD I'm trying to connect to. Safe to say it's not confined to this one.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #17 on Wed 01 Dec 2004 05:43 PM (UTC)
And only MUSHclient does this? Telnet works? Have you tried something like Gmud?

Zeno McDohl,
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #18 on Wed 01 Dec 2004 05:47 PM (UTC)
Yes, only MUSHclient does this. I can acess it through normal telnet and the in-house Java client that is provided on the MUD's website. I haven't tried any other, 3rd party clients, but I can't do anything on them I can't do on telnet; the main reason I want to get MUSH back is for my extesnsive triggers/scripts so I can do stuff.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #19 on Wed 01 Dec 2004 06:36 PM (UTC)
Hmm odd. Nick, does MC use a different connection protocol or way to connect?

Zeno McDohl,
[Go to top] top

Posted by Poromenos   Greece  (1,037 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #20 on Wed 01 Dec 2004 06:42 PM (UTC)
Hmm. Try renaming mushclient.exe to something else? Maybe the firewall is not stopping when you quit... I really can't think of anything else.

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
http://porocrom.poromenos.org/ Read it!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #21 on Wed 01 Dec 2004 06:56 PM (UTC)
Yeah, the only thing I can think of, is boot in safe mode (with networking) with nothing else running, and try it. Actually, do you have a router? Routers come with firewalls, or certain ones do.

Zeno McDohl,
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,986 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #22 on Wed 01 Dec 2004 07:19 PM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 01 Dec 2004 07:20 PM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

MUSHclient does not use a different way to connect - to do so would only make headaches for me (like this one).

I know it sounds like a MUSHclient bug, if that is the only program it is happening to, but it can't be. You say yourself that version 3.50 used to work, and now it doesn't. The suggestion about other clients was not to use them as a long-term solution, but to see if the problem is either:

• Only telnet works, but everything else doesn't (eg. another client also doesn't work); or

• Only MUSHclient doesn't work, but everything else does.

This would then show that the problem, which is almost certainly in the firewall configuration, is that MUSHclient is blocked, but everything else can get through, or telnet is allowed through, but everything else is blocked.

I think some programs like ZoneAlarm can actually block accesses to localhost too, basically they detect any network access.

I agree with the "safe mode" idea, that will hopefully let you in with the network but without the firewall.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #23 on Wed 01 Dec 2004 07:43 PM (UTC)
Ok, I dug up my oooold copy of zMUD and it works on that. Safe mode is very problematic for me, it refuses to acknowledge the presence of my mouse, broadband connection or anything else. So, yeah. No drivers is proving very difficult, safe or not.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #24 on Wed 01 Dec 2004 09:08 PM (UTC)
Check Zone alarm. If MC is in the list, check if its blocked (unblock it) if it isnt in the list, make a point to add it (and allow everything).

Norton asks me twice about MC. Once about listening to connections (when I start it) and then again about connecting to a DNS, or a world or whatever (when I connect).
So it needs (maybe not needs, but at least Im asked) to be able to both send, and listen to connections.

Dont know how crippled it would be if it isnt allowed to listen. Nick could answer that.

Point being, check zone alarm, your router, anything else.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,986 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #25 on Wed 01 Dec 2004 09:32 PM (UTC)
I just tested 3.56 on Windows 98, at it works fine. However on that PC I had ZoneAlarm installed, and it asked me three times if it could let MUSHclient through:

• One for "acting as a server" because one world had chat listening enabled

• One for "connecting to localhost" - for DNS lookups

• One for "connecting to the internet" - for connecting to an external MUD

If I denied those I got "network is down" I think, however it seems to me that your problem must be with your firewall, although conceivably it is the Winsock DLLs. If you had previously (somehow) denied MUSHclient access and told the firewall to remember that denial, then you probably won't get through until you un-deny it.

What you could try is, rename mushclient.exe as something else, eg. mushclient2.exe, and try that. The different name might get through the firewall. However if it remembering the file location that might not work.

In that case, download version 3.56, which is a different file, and after installing, but before running it, rename that to mushclient2.exe. Then try that.

Finally, see if you can upgrade your Winsock DLL. Have you changed it recently (eg. installed a service patch, changed your Winsock DLLs)?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Tycho   (14 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #26 on Sat 08 Jan 2005 01:46 AM (UTC)
ok, i have something like this happening to me but i think that my case is a little different. I installed Mushclient on my PC at school running windows XP and it worked just fine useing quick connect. Then i go home i have Version 3.65 installed so i try to run it and i get the same error message at anonymous. Now i did just as he did and purged it, downloaded it and then instaled it again. But there is something that i nitoced, just behind the error message is a thing that thanks me for evaluating version 3.50. That kinda confused me, why am i evaluation version 3.50 of I downloaded version 3.65?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #27 on Sat 08 Jan 2005 02:04 AM (UTC)

Amended on Sat 08 Jan 2005 02:05 AM (UTC) by Flannel

Are you sure youre running the correct instance of MC?

Go to Help > About, Whats the version? Perhaps you have both of them installed?

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Tycho   (14 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #28 on Sat 08 Jan 2005 02:06 AM (UTC)
nope, it only says that mushclient 3.65 is installed, granted it is an unregistered copy, would that have anything to do with why it wouldnt work?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #29 on Sat 08 Jan 2005 02:07 AM (UTC)
Wouldn't work as in connecting? No. Mushclient is fully functional (save the spell check limit) as a trial.

It might be an old message that nick didn't catch when upgrading, but that seems unlikely.

Try connecting to the server via telnet, it might very well be that the server is down at the moment.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

101,421 views.

This is page 2, subject is 4 pages long:  [Previous page]  1  2 3  4  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]