[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Trigger with line break

Trigger with line break

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Valentim   (9 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 05 Aug 2023 12:56 AM (UTC)
How to create a trigger when there is a limit of 60 characters and after this limit the line is broken.

Example:
Whole Line >> "An Ugly and Stinking Ogre attacked you with a club and hit your arm."

1º Broken Line >> "An Ugly and Stinking Ogre attacked you with a club and hit y"
2º Broken Line >> "our arm."

Note: line break changes according to the text

Trigger: ^(.*) attacked you with a (.*) and hit your (.*)\.$
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,988 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Sat 05 Aug 2023 04:05 AM (UTC)
What do you mean by broken line? Does the server do that? It seems odd to break a word in the middle.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Valentim   (9 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Sat 05 Aug 2023 12:15 PM (UTC)

Amended on Sat 05 Aug 2023 02:16 PM (UTC) by Valentim

word wrap is does by server, possibly due to some bidding on screen size, I don't know how to explain.

I already tried to configure client in output options, but it didn't work... I don't know if I did it right

Is there any way to use wildcard as (.*\n) ?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,988 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Sat 05 Aug 2023 09:46 PM (UTC)
I'm surprised a MUD would break lines in the middle of words. Did you configure MUSHclient to have short lines? If not, surely their server has an option to have longer lines, many servers have a "config" or similar command to do that.

Normal triggers are evaluated on a linebreak, so you therefore can't put a newline into the trigger.

There is an multi-line trigger option, in which case you could look for newlines in a wildcard like you suggested. However I would try to fix the main problem first before attempting that.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #4 on Sun 06 Aug 2023 11:58 PM (UTC)

Amended on Mon 07 Aug 2023 12:01 AM (UTC) by Fiendish

Is there any way to use wildcard as (.*\n) ?

Given the description of the scenario (splitting in the middle of a word), it sounds like you'd need an optional \n after every single character. Even if that works, it would be very ugly and hard to work with.

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Mon 07 Aug 2023 05:37 AM (UTC)

Amended on Mon 07 Aug 2023 05:42 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

<triggers>
  <trigger
   enabled="y"
   lines_to_match="2"
   match="(?s)^.* attacked you with.*\."
   multi_line="y"
   regexp="y"
   send_to="12"
   sequence="100"
  >
  <send>

local line = [===[%0]===]

line = string.gsub (line, "\\n", "")

print ("Combined line:", line)

who, weapon, place = string.match (line, "^(.-) attacked you with a (.-) and hit your (.-)%.$")

if not who then
  print "No match"
  return
end -- if

print ("Who:", who)
print ("With what:", weapon)
print ("Where:", place)

</send>
  </trigger>
</triggers>

Template:pasting For advice on how to copy the above, and paste it into MUSHclient, please see Pasting XML.

What this is doing is using a two-line multi-line trigger to detect both lines. We have to cut down the regular expression in the trigger to just detect "this sort of" line. The final period in the match text is to make it stop when it hits the period at the end of the sentence. The "(?s)" in the regexp tells it to include newlines in the "dot" match.

Then the Lua code gets rid of the newline (if any) and then does a string.match to re-parse the line and extract out the attacker, weapon and place it hits.

Example output from your test data:

Combined line: An Ugly and Stinking Ogre attacked you with a club and hit your arm.
Who: An Ugly and Stinking Ogre
With what: club
Where: arm

The only trouble with this is would be a single-line attack, because the two-line trigger will wait for both lines. For that case you might want to use your original trigger (that matches a single line) to handle that case, and make that a lower sequence number, so that it stops this second multi-line trigger from trying to evaluate.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #6 on Mon 07 Aug 2023 03:51 PM (UTC)

Amended on Mon 07 Aug 2023 03:54 PM (UTC) by Fiendish

I was thinking more like

match="(?s)^.* \n?a\n?t\n?t\n?a\n?c\n?k\n?e\n?d\n? \n?y\n?o\n?u\n? \n?w\n?i\n?t\n?h\n?.*\."

:D

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Mon 07 Aug 2023 08:09 PM (UTC)
Yeah, well I was kind-of hoping the mob's name wouldn't be so long it would push the rest past a line break. I suppose you could match "anything" and then do the decoding in the trigger.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

3,526 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]