[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  Unreliable behavior in keypad macro configuration dialog

Unreliable behavior in keypad macro configuration dialog

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Manacle   (28 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 26 Jul 2014 10:33 PM (UTC)
I noticed this behavior in MushClient 4.84. I noticed it in my main copy as well as a fresh client that I downloaded (for convenience) from Aardwolf.com. I run Windows 7 Professional edition 64bit (8GB RAM, System drive has 40GB free, if it matters).

The dialog in question is accessed by following the menu Game->Configuration->Keypad...

The option in question is accessing the CTRL-modified macros by checking the box "Show Contents if CTRL Held Down".

What I noticed is that if I check that box and then click through to another configuration screen using the list on the left hand side of the configuration window (specifically, I tested is using "Aliases" and "Commands") I lose the ability to modify my CTRL-modified keypad macros. At that point, if I return to the "Keypad" configuration dialog, the checkbox is still checked but I'm viewing the unmodified macros. I can check/uncheck the box and it does not react like I would expect (by showing me my secondary macros for the keypad).

I can exit the dialog and reenter and this unexpected behavior continues. I can also exit and reopen MUSHClient. In fact (I had some other software to update), I can restart my machine and this behavior continues.

In a way, even the unreliability is unreliable. When attempting to recreate this from a fresh zip (downloaded from Aardwolf.com), it wasn't QUITE this destructive the first time. I was able to recreate the behavior, but when I closed and opened MUSHClient (the first time using this fresh copy) I was granted access to a working dialog again. However, when I attempted to recreate the issue a second time on that fresh copy, the unexpected behavior once again survived opening and closing the program. (After further testing, I think I "cancel"ed out of the configuration dialog and did not allow MUSHClient to save internal variables when closing it to notice this)

Specifically, I can recreate this issue through these actions:
* Download the zip available on Aardwolf.com
* Unzip that zipped file to some random folder
* Check and set permissions on that random folder to make sure my user has read/write/execute permissions
* Run Mushclient.exe
* (Click no to the automatic upgrades)
* Follow the menu path Game->Configuration->Keypad...
* Check the checkbox "Show Contents of CTRL Held Down" (notice that the macros all change to blank boxes because we haven't set any CTRL-modified macros yet)
* Check that checkbox two more times to verify that I'm getting the behavior that I think is correct (swapping between the default macros and the blank CTRL-modified set)
* WITH that checkbox checked, click on "aliases" in the list to the left
* Click on "Keypad" again
* Check/uncheck that checkbox. Notice that we now get no response
* Click on "OK" at the bottom of the configuration dialog and close MUSHClient
* Open it again and repeat; notice that you no longer get the expected response when checking that checkbox
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Sat 26 Jul 2014 11:57 PM (UTC)
Strange no-one has noticed that for many years. :)

I confirm your bug report, particularly the first part. This commit should fix it:

https://github.com/nickgammon/mushclient/commit/c546bef

That will appear in version 4.94.

Quote:

In a way, even the unreliability is unreliable.

I'm not sure about that part, this sounds like an uninitialized variable, however I'm inclined to think this is a side-effect of the original bug. Hopefully the change I make will fix things properly.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Sun 27 Jul 2014 12:11 AM (UTC)

* Check/uncheck that checkbox. Notice that we now get no response

What I think has happened here is that the non-CTRL items have been copied to the CTRL items, so whilst it appears nothing is happening, you are now seeing the non-CTRL items duplicated. Once saved to disk this will now always appear. You need to get the fixed version, and then put the CTRL items back to what you wanted.

You could confirm that by looking at the world file in a text editor (eg. Notepad) and scrolling down to the Keypad section, eg.

<!-- keypad -->

<keypad
   muclient_version="4.92"
   world_file_version="15"
  >

<key name="0" >
  </key>

<key name="Ctrl+0" >
  </key>

<key name="Ctrl+1" >
  </key>

<key name="Ctrl+2" >
  </key>

<key name="Ctrl+3" >
  </key>

<key name="Ctrl+4" >
  </key>

<key name="Ctrl+5" >
  </key>

<key name="Ctrl+6" >
  </key>

<key name="Ctrl+7" >
  </key>

<key name="Ctrl+8" >
  </key>

<key name="Ctrl+9" >
  </key>

<key name="Ctrl+." >
  </key>

<key name="Ctrl+/" >
  </key>

<key name="Ctrl+*" >
  </key>

<key name="Ctrl+-" >
  </key>

<key name="Ctrl++" >
  </key>
</keypad>

If the "Ctrl+" items have non-CTRL data in them, then the incorrect values have actually been saved to disk, and they will need to be corrected, otherwise it will "appear" that the bug is still there.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Sun 27 Jul 2014 09:29 PM (UTC)

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=12532

If you are using the Aardwolf package, download 4.94 from the link above, and then copy the file MUSHclient.exe from the download to replace the file of the same name in the Aardwolf release.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

12,205 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]