[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  Forum
. -> [Folder]  Problems
. . -> [Subject]  What is going on with the STM32 SPI register TX buffer?

What is going on with the STM32 SPI register TX buffer?

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by ZEZEME   (1 post)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 05 Feb 2018 03:35 AM (UTC)

Amended on Mon 05 Feb 2018 03:38 AM (UTC) by ZEZEME

I will first describe what I am trying to accomplish, what I have tried, and how it is not working; any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

I have an external MCU (Particle Photon) acting as the SPI Master. Approximately every half second it needs to send 64 bytes to the STM32F103( http://www.kynix.com/Detail/654071/STM32F10386.html ). It can also be multiples of 64 bytes (e.g. 50x 64 byte chunks equaling 3,200 bytes in this example... maximum of 200x chunks). The STM32 also has its own data that needs to be sent back to the master MCU, same format.

I have stripped a lot of this down, and am just trying to get a single 64 byte exchange to happen reliably, and I am failing at that.

I used STM32CubeMX to generate the source code and configurations. Here are the functions I am using:

SPI Buffers & Init Flag:
uint8_t txData[64]; //uint8_t txData[MAX_DEVICES_TRACKED * 64];
uint8_t rxData[64]; //uint8_t rxData[MAX_DEVICES_TRACKED * 64];
bool spiReady = true;

Main Loop:
    while(true)
    {
        if(spiReady)
        {
            spiReady = false;
            InitSPISlave(&hspi1);
        }
    }

Init SPI:
void InitSPISlave( SPI_HandleTypeDef *spiHandler )
{
    memset(rxData, 0, sizeof(rxData));
    HAL_SPI_TransmitReceive_IT(spiHandler, txData, rxData, sizeof(txData));
}

Callbacks That Occur After SPI TXRX Complete, And Error Callback:
void HAL_SPI_TxRxCpltCallback(SPI_HandleTypeDef *hspi)
{
    printf("SP1 Data Received: ");

for(int i = 0; i < 64; i++)
    {
        printf("%lx ", (long)rxData);
    }
    printf("\n");

memset(txData, 0, sizeof(txData)); //If I don't clear the data, it comes across ok

spiReady = true;
}

void HAL_SPI_ErrorCallback(SPI_HandleTypeDef *hspi)
{
    printf("SPI1 ERROR: %d \n", hspi->ErrorCode);
    spiReady = true;
}

For testing purposes I have a timer that periodically populates the txData buffer. As soon as the transaction is complete, and the master MCU has the data, I want to clear out the txData buffer.... when more data becomes available it will then go into the txData, which is what the timer is simulating.

I am experiencing 2 problems:

1.If I comment out "memset(txData, 0, sizeof(txData));" the data goes to the master ok. If I leave it as is and clear it after every transaction, the master receives the data but either the first byte is zero, or the entire buffer is shifted over by a byte. This seems somewhat random. I also get SPI errors in the error callback, periodically get OVR error "HAL_SPI_ERROR_OVR", and then eventually I get "HAL_SPI_ERROR_FLAG" errors, at which point it stops working completely. It almost seems like something is going on with the STM32 SPI register TX buffer? But I don't fully understand this, or how I should fix it. It could be something else but I am not sure.
2.When I call "HAL_SPI_TransmitReceive_IT(spiHandler, txData, rxData, sizeof(txData));" it is really slow to initialize and get up and running. I decided to time this by started a timer when calling that function, and when the callback gets executed, and it takes approximately 300 ms. If I increase the size of the buffers to 640 bytes, it takes several seconds to initialize and start the SPI transfer. I am wanting to do a max of 12,800 bytes, so something is seriously wrong here, there is no reason why it should be taking that long to set up a single SPI transfer. I am not sure what is going on or how to fix this either. I have to call this function again after each SPI transfer, so the MCU is basically always stuck in a state of initializing for several seconds to receive a single transfer.

I tried switching over to DMA SPI, e.g. "HAL_SPI_TransmitReceive_DMA(spiHandler, txData, rxData, sizeof(txData));", and while it is slightly quicker to initialize-still way too slow, I experience the same problems.

I have been scouring the internet trying to read up on this, and most people say the HAL drivers are junk and don't work right, and to work directly with the registers yourself. If this is the case, I don't know where to start in accomplishing that... or if maybe there is a fix I can do to get this up and running?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #1 on Mon 05 Feb 2018 03:46 AM (UTC)
Template:Arduino Please post Arduino-related questions to the Arduino Forum or to StackExchange: Arduino. This saves splitting questions and answers between this forum and the Arduino ones.

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

12,820 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]