[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  Running the server
. . -> [Subject]  running in linux shell

running in linux shell

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Straud   (62 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sun 22 Jul 2001 08:15 PM (UTC)
okay I compiled the server using cygwin and uploaded it to a linux shell (REDHAT) and when I try to run the server it says cannot execute binary file does this have to doe with the fact that I compiled it using cygwin I try to use the makefile to compile in the shell but it said that cpp0 was not recognized
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (23,000 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Mon 23 Jul 2001 12:14 AM (UTC)
Cygwin and Linux would make binaries that are different due to the different operating system calls. You need to do the "make" under Linux.

That should work, I don't know about "cpp0" not recognised, but the sources originated on Linux/Unix so it should certainly be possible to compile them there.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Mon 23 Jul 2001 05:57 AM (UTC)
okay it's running in redhat 7.0 but with alot of problems okay first I replaced all off the stock files with mine so darkhaven was called ezran ect....
and the stock where completely deleted now I go to log in and it says no such player I have all the player files a-z and the back up ect all needed files are there so I logged in as new It went through fine when I got to the academy it said darkhaven academy how can this be I save and logged off then back on and it again said the player doesn't exsit so it won't save new players either so i trashed it re-loaded and compiled and left the stock in there now there were a couple of player characters in the stock player file but it still said no such player so replacing the files wasn't the problem I don't know what to do this also applied to the help files where the greeting is stored now when mine was in there it should have had my muds name there but it didn't it had the stock now how could this be when It had no file to bring up that information it's like it's accessing files that don't exsist
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (23,000 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Mon 23 Jul 2001 06:44 AM (UTC)
You've done something weird, it's hard to say what.

I have run it under RedHat with no problems. Sounds like you aren't running out of the directory you think you are, or that permissions are not correct, or something like that.

The player files should be in the player subdirectory, under another subdirectory of the first letter of the player's name. The player file names should be in all lowercase.

The server should have write access to those directories. Check you can open one of the files (eg. with vi) and then save it again, logged in as the same user that the server is logged in as.

Make sure you don't have two copies of the server running (eg. do a "ps aux").

I just tested it then. I untar'ed the file smaug1.4a_mxp.tgz (available from this site), moved to the "src" directory, typed "make", waited for the compiles to finish, then typed "csh startup". The server started, I connected, made a new character, saved it, quit, and then reconnected successfully to the new character.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Mon 23 Jul 2001 07:11 AM (UTC)

Amended on Mon 23 Jul 2001 07:16 AM (UTC) by Straud

reply okay I found that my host has it running on port 4000 in the root directory he must have forgot to shut it down after he tested it so I connected and still you can't log in using a saved characters name and now it's the only one running and all the subdir for the player dir are lowercase
and I checked the permissions all are good to go but it still wont work if you want to know the permission settings here they are wxrwxrwx so it should be able to read and right but when I try to log in as a player file already in exsistance it says no such character and I changed it to port 4001 but I also noticed that when I type ps aux it tells me that the server is running on port 4000 and 6000 in other dirs but it didn't say that it was running on 4001 I press ctrl+c to break it and checked it to see and I still connected to the server but again ps aux didn't list it as running on 4001
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Mon 23 Jul 2001 10:21 PM (UTC)
"ps aux" does not normally tell you what port it is running under.

I don't know what you have done here.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

14,472 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]