[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  Running the server
. . -> [Subject]  Help File design issue

Help File design issue

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Asean Novari   USA  (82 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 25 Feb 2005 02:13 AM (UTC)
ok in the hopes of providing a prettier place for my people to
play i have begun a makeover on the help files..

I wish to build a virtual folder around the help files without
having to actually put the ascii folder chars into the help
file..

Is there a way to have it take the help file.. add spaces onto all of the lines untill a certain length is reached and then place a premade ascii folder around text?

NORMAL DISPLAY
help dig
DIG DIGGING
Syntax: Dig
Uses a shovel to dig for hidden items

FOLDER DISPLAY
help dig
 \_______________________________________/

[Go to top] top

Posted by Greven   Canada  (835 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Fri 25 Feb 2005 02:19 AM (UTC)
It is, but it may take a little fiddling to get the alignments right. If your do_help file, you need to just print out the characters for the top, the title, and the top edge of the folder. That you need a functions that will print the edges to each line of the help file, could be made fairly easily, then just print out the bottom. You need to specify things like width, max(if any) height, etc.

Nobody ever expects the spanish inquisition!

darkwarriors.net:4848
http://darkwarriors.net
[Go to top] top

Posted by Asean Novari   USA  (82 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Fri 25 Feb 2005 03:10 AM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 25 Feb 2005 03:14 AM (UTC) by Asean Novari

could you possibly show me an example of how this would work..

like take the characters - & | and make a box that will expand in height and width depending on how large of a string/strings are sent into it..

I know thats alot to ask for and im sorry but i really have
to.. I am barley even a novice when it comes to coding.. and
i dont have a dedicated coder to assist me yet.. so I am
learning as i put in /take out things from the mud

I really do appreciate all of the help you have already given

If you cant give an example could you atleast tell me the
names of the functions i would need to use.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Greven   Canada  (835 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Fri 25 Feb 2005 03:28 AM (UTC)
In a circumstance like this, if you don't even know where to begin, then it might be beyond what can be code. If you look into things like strcpy, strcat, loops, and C string manipulation and mechanics, that should give you the basis of what you need to get started on it. Try "man <function>" in your shell to see how how it works, and if you have any specific questions this would be a good place to ask.

It really will do you good to learn how to do it in the long run, makes things later much, much easier.

Nobody ever expects the spanish inquisition!

darkwarriors.net:4848
http://darkwarriors.net
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Fri 25 Feb 2005 03:40 AM (UTC)
I agree and would suggest looking for online C tutorials or buying a book. Trying to hack at things without having any clue is only going to lead you through a very unpleasant and frustrating experience. It'll also let you do much greater things in much less time. Trust me (us), it would really, really serve you well to learn some before trying to tackle things above your current level.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

13,613 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]