[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Gammon Forum

See www.mushclient.com/spam for dealing with forum spam. Please read the MUSHclient FAQ!

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  SMAUG coding
. . -> [Subject]  Beginning coding
Home  |  Users  |  Search  |  FAQ
Register forum user name
Forgotten password?

Beginning coding

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Vex   (4 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 29 Aug 2006 07:09 PM (UTC)
Im sorry if this is in the wrong spot/ or is wrong in any way.

I'm a comnplete newbie to coding, and I want to get started. I am a builder in a MUD that is SMAUG and SWR, and I want to get familiar with coding, so perhaps one day I can code. Can someone give advice on where I should get started, and what should I do?
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Tue 29 Aug 2006 07:32 PM (UTC)
You will need to learn to program in C, which is the language in which SMAUG is written. If you explore these forums you will find an awful lot of information both specific to SMAUG and general about programming; check the section headers for various useful links. Nick has, for example, several hints on how to get a programming environment set up, in addition to a tutorial on installing Cygwin.

The best advice I can give you, if you have no exposure to programming, is to google for a C tutorial. There are lots of them, some pretty good, some not-so-good. But you will need to understand the fundamental concepts like loops, control flow, functions, and so forth. The tutorials are probably the best way to get a feel for all that. I would recommend against changing the SMAUG code until you understand programming fundamentals; but, you might want to poke around and see what things look like. Let me warn you, though, it will be rather complex. Starting small is probably the best advice I could give.

Again let me stress the amount of information in these forums. It can be hard to sort through it all, but a lot of beginning coders come this way and chances are you will have similar experiences and difficulties as others, and can learn from the discussions.

Welcome to the world of programming; have fun. :-)

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Tue 29 Aug 2006 10:20 PM (UTC)
Ksilyan, thanks so much for the information.

I must ask though, C is a language used for a wide variety of things is it not? How will I know how to use it for MUDs?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (21,563 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Wed 30 Aug 2006 12:03 AM (UTC)
Look at examples, you can use C for almost anything.

However you will find a MUD server code a bit daunting until you learn some of the basics, without knowing them it won't make much sense.

For a simpler example than a full server, try looking at the Tiny MUD server I released on this site:

It still needs some C (and C++) knowledge to understand it, but is a lot smaller than something like SMAUG.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Sun 01 Oct 2006 01:36 AM (UTC)
Ah alright, thanks for all the help!
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at FutureQuest]