[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  Output window scrollbar popup menu

Output window scrollbar popup menu

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Worstje   Netherlands  (899 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 10 Jan 2008 08:03 AM (UTC)
I just woke up and remembered this little thing. In Windows, native scrollbars always have their nifty little popup menu. It consists of:

Scroll here
---
Bottom
---
Page Up
Page Down
---
Scroll Up
Scroll Down

You can find it in the various notepad windows if there is a scrollbar, for example.

However, the main output window lacks it and shows the gigantic popup from the rest of the output window isntead. While I enjoy holding page down or pressing enter to scroll all the way to the bottom, or hunting the thumb so I can drag it to a location of my choice, it is a far more convenient way to go up in your buffer when the thumb is like 3px high like it tends to be for me and my gigantic buffers. So while it does not add much concrete functionality, it adds the little bit of polish that makes a gigantic buffer a bit more usable.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Thu 10 Jan 2008 08:22 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 10 Jan 2008 08:24 PM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

I must admit I had never seen that until you mentioned it. A quick Google shows that some people have asked similar questions about other applications and got a similar response "what menu?".

I should point out first that almost all of the functionality of that menu is already available from the keyboard:

• Top - Ctrl+Home
  • Bottom - Ctrl+End
  • Page Up - Ctrl+Page-Up
  • Page Down - Ctrl+Page-Down
  • Scroll Up - Ctrl+Up-Arrow
  • Scroll Down - Ctrl+Down-Arrow

The only missing functionality is "Scroll here", however for a big buffer isn't that guesswork? I think I would have to grab the thumb myself and drag it back and forth until the part of the window I was interested in came into view. Or, use Find to find the line in question.

I looked at the source code and couldn't find any way of handling the scroll bars differently (in the code that handles the RH-click). I was hoping I could detect that the click was in the scroll bar, and let it return "false" or something so the Windows default handling would kick in, but that particular function (which is part of MFC) does not take a return code.

Also, a Google on the "scroll here" words, OnContextMenu and MFC returns practically nothing, so it seems there are no helpful articles on how to implement it.

I suppose it could be added "manually" by making the menu up myself, but that involves a change to the resource file (en.dll) which I have managed to avoid changing for quite a few versions now, and am reluctant to do for a fairly obscure feature.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Thu 10 Jan 2008 11:39 PM (UTC)
Ah, nevermind then. It was just one of those tidbits I always felt MUSH lacked but never really depended upon. It is just.. nice.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Isthiriel   (113 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Fri 11 Jan 2008 09:26 PM (UTC)
Shift+Clicking on a native scroll bar does "Scroll Here". And I just tested this in MUSHclient and it seems to work :) (It also does in Firefox but not in Opera :( )

And I've never seen that menu. (And can't find it on my Windows XP Pro/Notepad either.)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Fri 11 Jan 2008 11:22 PM (UTC)
It works for me on every of my three computers, all running WXP Pro. So I really think that must be you, Isthiriel. :)

And thanks for the shift click tip. I doubt I'll use it since I never use the little popup consciously, so if it's not there I'll be quicker to grab the thumb.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Sat 12 Jan 2008 05:33 AM (UTC)
Well you learn something new every day. :)

Just to clarify, if you shift-click in the scrollbar (including in MUSHclient's output window), it moves the thumb to the point where you shift-click.

This is faster than the message that started this thread, as that involved Rh-clicking and then selecting "scroll here", which is 2 actions.

Thanks for that information, that is very interesting.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Darwin   USA  (125 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Sat 12 Jan 2008 06:08 AM (UTC)
This functionality is not present while running under WINE.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

18,490 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]