[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  MUSHclient crashes, chat port remains in use

MUSHclient crashes, chat port remains in use

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by RichKK   (33 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 03 Mar 2009 09:54 AM (UTC)
Sometimes MUSHclient will crash. When I restart MUSHclient I'll try to setup to receive chat calls again but can't because the previous instance of MUSHclient was receiving calls on that same port # and the crash didn't release the port.

Cannot accept calls on port 4050, code = 10048 (Address already in use)

Is there anyway to free that port in Windows XP?

[Go to top] top

Posted by Worstje   Netherlands  (899 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Tue 03 Mar 2009 11:24 AM (UTC)
Probably MUSHclient is still in memory somewhere. I'm pretty sure that all modern OSes release any system resources held by a crashed program - including opened ports.

Take a look in your taskmanager?
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Tue 03 Mar 2009 02:17 PM (UTC)
In some rare instances, it takes a little bit for the OS to clean everything up. Usually it happens when the process is destroyed or a few seconds thereafter, but very occasionally I've seen it take almost a minute. That could be what the OP is seeing here.

But I'd definitely start with what Worstje suggested and make sure that it's not actually still around.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by RichKK   (33 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Tue 03 Mar 2009 03:49 PM (UTC)
Thanks for the tip, MUSHclient is listed once in taskmanager, appears to be the process of MUSHclient that was created after I relaunched it.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

13,538 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]