[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  Running the server
. . -> [Subject]  Creating a mud

Creating a mud

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by Abergard   Poland  (7 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sun 23 May 2004 08:59 AM (UTC)
I would like to creat a mud. Can anybody help me to find code etc.? Please.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (23,000 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Sun 23 May 2004 10:11 AM (UTC)

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpost.php?bbsubject_id=2293

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Sun 23 May 2004 10:17 AM (UTC)
I read that. I know that it's difficult to create a mud but i really fall in love with them. I want to create something from myself. Of course i was playing muds but only a few were "good". I know what players want from mud and i want to make that...
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Sun 23 May 2004 10:27 AM (UTC)
...And of course im not alone...I have friends who want to do the same as i
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Sun 23 May 2004 05:11 PM (UTC)
Sounds like you really want to make a MUD then. For the Smaug source, check out http://www.gammon.com.au/downloads/dlsmaug.htm

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Sun 23 May 2004 08:35 PM (UTC)
Hmmm....I have the source...What shall i do next.?
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Sun 23 May 2004 09:10 PM (UTC)
http://www.gammon.com.au/smaug/howtocompile.htm

I don't want to be discouraging, but you really, really should be aware of what you're getting into before you do this.

I would start with being an immortal on a MUD somewhere, before you start trying to be administrator/coder.

Do you know how to program? Do you know Unix/Linux environments?

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Ithildin   USA  (262 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Sun 23 May 2004 09:52 PM (UTC)
Ksilyan's right. you should understand what your doing. it's not how you think it will be. BUT it is fun and rewarding once you get into it. i highly suggest to download cygwin if your using windows, and download the smaugfuss package. that is the best codebase you'll get here. you should learn C++ if you don't know already. i've been teaching myself for the past two years or so and it's very fun and interesting yet very hard. but if it's something you want to have fun with, then go for it. who knows, maybe something will come out of it. and always have fun doing it.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (23,000 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #8 on Sun 23 May 2004 10:56 PM (UTC)
You can make a MUD by simply taking an existing server (eg. SMAUG) and changing the area files. There is an area editor on this site for Windows that simplifies that.

However you will be stuck with some hard-coded words (like Thoric) which are in the server source, not the area files. To change those you need to compile. Read the reference given above for how to do that.

A good starting point would be to take a precompiled server (see downloads area here) and start getting the hang of how it all works, admin commands and so on. Don't try to change too much until you understand how the existing things work.

Have fun, and good luck!

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Mon 24 May 2004 04:04 PM (UTC)
;) thanks....I'm going to learn a lot and make a good mud !!!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Mon 24 May 2004 10:41 PM (UTC)
i Know that's stupid question, but how can i use Cygwin and what for...?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Tue 25 May 2004 12:33 AM (UTC)
Cygwin is a Unix sub-environment that runs on Windows. You use it mainly to compile but also sometimes to run a MUD if you don't have access to (or can't afford) a proper Unix environment.

Most of the MUD world is based on Unix code, generally because Unix is much better about it all than Windows is. That's why people are still using Unix/Cygwin, and most people who try to do Windows are told to do so "at their own risk". :)

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Tue 25 May 2004 05:30 AM (UTC)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Tue 25 May 2004 05:48 AM (UTC)
Mostly that things won't work or will be very hard to make work. :)

And most people who can help tend to know Unix environments, not SMAUG on Windows.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #14 on Tue 25 May 2004 06:32 AM (UTC)
Bearing in mind that, these days, installing Linux is about as simple as installing Windows. You boot from a CD, answer a few questions (what is your name, where do you live), and it does everything for you with a graphical installer.

The reasons I would favour Unix over Windows for a MUD server are:

• More reliable - Windows tends to crash or freeze more often than Linux installations, which generally run for weeks if not months without needing a reboot.

• You can install new things without the "you need to restart the computer to complete the installation" message.

• Faster - the same program, running on the same hardware (dual-boot) will tend to run faster under Linux than under Windows.

• Better networking - a test program I wrote a while ago demonstrated that a Windows server tends to slow down quite a bit when you hit about 100 simultaneous connections. By contrast, Linux is geared up to handle many connections, that is why many web servers are Linux, not Windows.

• Free software - things like the compiler, SQL server, web server, and many other things, are free under Linux (admittedly you can use Cygwin under Windows, but if you are going to do that you may as well go the whole hog and run Linux).

• More support - stuff like the "startup" script are geared to a Linux installation.

• Better tools - installing snippets is easier with "patch" and "diff" which work best under Unix (again, they work OK under Cygwin too).

• Viruses and worms - you know most PCs these days are Windows PCs, and that is exactly what the worm/virus/trojan horse writers are targetting. With Linux you tend to be left alone.

• Better firewalling - Linux comes with built-in firewall tools (again, I know that XP does too) which make it easier to secure your connections.

I don't really want to start an operating system "flame war", and I use Windows (for example to develop MUSHclient), and like a lot of aspects of it, however for good, solid, computing, I think it is hard to pass by Linux.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

60,858 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]