[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  I can't make mud work PLEASE help me.

I can't make mud work PLEASE help me.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Slem   (6 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 28 Nov 2003 12:15 PM (UTC)
I can't make it work. I dont know why, something has happend thats for sure, it worked before.

Well.
At MUSHclient does the warning popup say:

Unable to connect to "qs", code = 10061 (connection refused)
Error occorred during phase: Connecting to world: Ip: , Port:

At Crt:
The remote system refused the connection. This probably means that the remote system does not provide the service you are attempting to access, or that the service is being provided on a diffrent port.

At zMUD:
Host ... unreachable.

Etc etc.
I've tried to turn off my firewall compleately and tried to connect with just telnet, well nothing works.

I've got win xp home edition and i've never had any problems before but it somehow came when i instaled MUSHclient.

Please help me, please. IM ADICTED TO MUD!! ive been playing in over 4 years and im been away in a week now, its getting on my nervs.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Fri 28 Nov 2003 07:48 PM (UTC)
Sounds like your mud is down. You can check themudconnector to see if its really down or not. However, the problem hasnt been caused by MC.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Fri 28 Nov 2003 10:18 PM (UTC)
Well i can guarantee its not since all my friends plays it even thoes who is using the same connection as me wich is a little bit odd.
I dont like whats happend since i can't play and my enemys is really growing, i was at a friend before and they enemy clan breached my clans allies hall and looted 3 persons.
i cant do nothing about it and im buff, they really need me.
and ive been trying to connect to other muds and the same shit happends. im starting to belive that i somehow closed the port. well anyone knows how to open ports?
I really need mud.
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Fri 28 Nov 2003 11:13 PM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 28 Nov 2003 11:14 PM (UTC) by David Haley

Well, you tried out a bunch of clients, so it's obviously not any client's fault... you probably have a misconfigured connection somewhere between you and your MUD. That could be anything from an error under your control - i.e. something on your machine like a connection setup - or something beyond your control, such as a DNS server that needs to be updated (unlikely), a router that is confused (a little more likely), or a firewall setting somewhere (more likely.)

What has changed between since when you were able to connect and now? Any new software, hardware, new ISP, did you move, anything?

Edit:
By the way, why are you hiding the host name from us? If you let us know maybe someone can give you hints...

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Sat 29 Nov 2003 10:01 AM (UTC)

actually my brother was stupid enough to try crack crt
ever since then hasnt it worked, im directly plugged into
the modem. and my it isnt my ordinary firewall cuz ive
been able to play with it on before, and ive tried turn it
off. You can ping servers in zMUD and it doesnt even
found em then. There really is some software that really
doesnt want me to connect.

Can it be the telnet protocol? Cuz its just telnet
applications thats f***** up.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Magnum   Canada  (580 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Sat 29 Nov 2003 07:37 PM (UTC)

Slem: There are many posts in this forum by people with the same problem, and suggested remedies for the problem.

Nick: Perhaps it would be wise to build a 'FAQ' index page, and then a series of sub-FAQ-pages organized by topic, one of the first pages being a Connection FAQ page. That way, we could just direct people there, instead of telling them to search the forums, which they may not be inclined to do.

Get my plugins here: http://www.magnumsworld.com/muds/

Constantly proving I don't know what I am doing...
Magnum.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,982 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #6 on Sat 29 Nov 2003 10:31 PM (UTC)
Slem, try plugging a different PC into the same modem. Sounds like there is a firewall somewhere.

I could get through, here is some of the opening screen:

**Welcome to a realm of Fantasy and Adventure Unlike Another**

Remember that you can REROLL your level 1 character.
Halt! Who Goes there? 

Are you at home? At school? Is it a cable modem or dial-up? Since it is happening to all clients it is clearly not a MUSHclient issue.

Do you access web pages using a proxy server?

I wouldn't say it is the telnet protocol. A MUD might use some telnet negotiation, but it is more likely someone has blocked that port or that address, or both.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Sun 30 Nov 2003 12:03 PM (UTC)
ive already tried with another computer and it did work so its clearly this computer wich has the problem
the wierd thing is that i tried to turn of the windows fire wall and my personal fire wall and it didnt work.
and now my new network printer wont work, it cant be found by the software, maybe its the same problem... hmm but how come i can be online?

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Sun 30 Nov 2003 12:47 PM (UTC)
I got really sick and bored to not be able to connect to any mud
so i reinstaled the computer. Im really thankfull that you tried
to help me. To show my appreaciation will i from now on use your
client.
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #9 on Sun 30 Nov 2003 07:34 PM (UTC)
It's possible that somehow your TCP/IP protocol got broken, or maybe even you had a virus somewhere... but all that is a little odd considering that you could still browse the internet. Another possibility, but equally strange, would be that your winsock got corrupted somehow, or perhaps set back to an old version.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #10 on Mon 01 Dec 2003 12:48 AM (UTC)
Yes a Winsock problem could cause it. That dll is notorious for problems and bugs and is quite often refered to in the programming communities and Winsuck bacause of it. A corrupted version could quite easilly allow some protocals to operate, but not others.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Mon 01 Dec 2003 07:49 AM (UTC)
My bro instaled linux on our other computer so
now it wont be any problem. Linux is pretty cool
its looks about the same, if you want that is :)
Well he is coding a mud together with some other dude.
strife.betterbox.net
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

28,495 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]