[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  Forum
. -> [Folder]  Problems
. . -> [Subject]  Foreground color

Foreground color

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 14 Dec 2004 10:12 PM (UTC)
I had a nasty surprise when changing the background to black - it seems that we cannot customize the foreground color for most of the text, which means that the white text becomes invisible. :-)

Also, the transparency seems wrong on the header images - there was a white spot to the right of each image when I had the black background.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Wed 15 Dec 2004 02:35 AM (UTC)
Hmm - tried to have a black background with black text did you. <grin>

Changing text colour is a bit more of a problem. Simply changing it at the start seems to revert to the default inside tables (in IE anyway).

However I think I have done it. I am using a small amount of CSS to set the body text colour, if it is not the default. Try setting that now.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Wed 15 Dec 2004 02:39 AM (UTC)
I have rejigged the images a bit. Previously they had a small amount of background image to their right (the same background as used on the web page, so it wasn't noticeable.

However it obviously *is* noticeable if you start changing your colours around. Thus, I have trimmed them to be the exact image width.

If anyone wants to suggest a different set of matching buttons, feel free.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Wed 15 Dec 2004 03:47 AM (UTC)
The text looks cutoff (horizontally).

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Wed 15 Dec 2004 04:01 AM (UTC)
Have you refreshed/reloaded the page? You may have the new images with the old dimensions or vice-versa.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Wed 15 Dec 2004 05:11 AM (UTC)
Yeah, that was it. I was thinking to myself while posting "they certainly do look like they are in the wrong sized boxes". But then I figured that if you just streched them, they'd be expanded, and not shrunk.
Anyway, point being. That fixed it.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Wed 15 Dec 2004 07:25 AM (UTC)
Works fine, now. Now just to be annoying (grin) there are a few more things that would be nice to be adjustable:

- input areas
- text areas
- links (unvisited and visited, especially)
- width/thickness of signature rule

Of course, all this would be easy if we could edit the CSS for each entity directly... *grin*

One advantage to CSS, in passing, is if you're doing document styles like you would in a word processor. E.g. in code documentation, you can set spans as 'keyword', 'variable' etc. and then it's easy to change every single instance of that. That's really hard to do if you're using plain old HTML, especially as the document grows larger.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Wed 15 Dec 2004 07:31 AM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 15 Dec 2004 07:43 AM (UTC) by Flannel

You can easily add CSS for links, without changing anything else. Just remove the link colors from the body (if they're there) and add CSS with the link color definitions.

Edit: No removing needed, just add in the CSS link at the top of each page, and add a CSS file with the link colors.

Oh, and Nick, CSS might save bandwidth because people will only download it occassionally. It will cache. Or... Well, it caches on static pages. I don't know if it will still cache on a dynamic one. I'd imagine it might.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Wed 15 Dec 2004 07:06 PM (UTC)

Of course, all this would be easy if we could edit the CSS for each entity directly...

I was thinking of adding a box where you could define your own CSS, assuming you were a CSS expert, however the problem is that to make it meaningful the individual items (eg. posts etc.) would need to be given a style (division?) name.

What I think is probably better, rather than fiddling too much at the edges of the existing forum, is to have an option to generate the main pages (like this one) totally differently, eg. as straight XHTML or something, with the provision of adding CSS at the start.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

15,508 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]